Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CGT clutch

can someone describe what makes the cgt clutch more difficult than other cars
Old 03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Jeff the most accurate description based on my experience is what was quoted in a magazine. The clutch is like an on or off switch. There is no in-between. However, most owners acclimate after a short time.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Nick
Race Car

Originally Posted by icon
thus the stalls!
wonder if as it wears is starts to slip at all or just goes?
thanks nick!

p.s. you never said the amount we were betting???
I wasn't aware we were betting. On what?

Jeff you have been dancing around the CGT for sometime now. Though I have issues with it, nevertheless it is a great perf car. Pull the trigger and scratch that itch.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:23 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven the cgt for almost two years and don't find the clutch an issue at all. Yes, it takes a little time to become accustomed to bringing the revs up before engaging to prvent a stall, but it is now second nature. Once you're seated in the cgt it's now a habit to listen for the revs before releasing the clutch. I personally think it was a shame that the early reviews focused on this issue.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The music IS the engine.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Clutch takes about one minute to get used to. It's a media driven issue not an owner driven one. Unless you have absolutely no prior experience driving a performance manual trans you will really enjoy the clutch. It's a lot easier than many of my other cars. Clutch is a non issue. Ride height is about only real concern on the car.

Last edited by Les Quam; 03-07-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:45 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always assumed that clutch issue was just made up by STUPID automotive journalists (which means just about every single automotive journalist, come to think of it). If you can't work a clutch, you're an idiot and don't belong in a car with over 600bhp.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:38 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought I read a specific Porsche instruction on standing starts. Isn't there a computer interface that provides the correct revs for routine launch, so throttle modulation isn't needed? My hazy recollection is that the instruction was not to use throttle when releasing the clutch. Please correct my impression if in error. AS
Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's the quote:
Despite a seemingly difficult clutch, Porsche incorporated computer management of the clutch when the car is on an incline. Drivers are able to lift completely off the clutch and not stall the car. [1]

I think you stall if you try the override. Apparantly, it even works on an uphill start. AS
Old 03-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Nick
Race Car

Originally Posted by Les Quam
Clutch takes about one minure to get used to. It's a media driven issue not an owner driven one. Unless you have absolutely no prior experience driving a performance manual trans you will really enjoy the clutch. It's a lot easier than many of my other cars. Clutch is a non issue. Ride height is about only real concern on the car.
It is rumored that Porsche adjusted the clutch after all the complaints on the early models. I drove an early model and in the first five minutes never stalled it. Then it stalled a couple of times on me. Also, I tried the recommended approach of no throttle while disengaging the clutch and was not very successful.

I agree it is a matter of getting used to the clutch dynamics.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
I thought I read a specific Porsche instruction on standing starts. Isn't there a computer interface that provides the correct revs for routine launch, so throttle modulation isn't needed? My hazy recollection is that the instruction was not to use throttle when releasing the clutch. Please correct my impression if in error. AS
This feature is really great for creeping around parking lots or driving through the service bay at the dealer. It's just a smart, sort of aggressive, engine idle-speed control. While using this particular feature (which is deactivated by the smallest touch on the throttle), one can begin to appreciate that the clutch is not really an on/off affair at all. Slipping the clutch while "idling" the car around ones garage apron is how it's done!

However, I can't quite imagine this feature having enough "oomph" to actually start the car from rest on any substantial incline. I kind of remember trying it once and deciding to never do it again. Anyway, it's so easy to slightly slip the clutch while giving a very small amount of throttle that I don't use the "idling" feature very often.

The big buzz about the clutch being nasty and prone to stalling comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of how the car works. The Carrera GT engine has an order of magnitude less rotary inertia than those found in most street cars. The engine revs like a motorcycle. It is also extremely powerful (needs to be said over and over). This causes a coordination dilemma for the driver. Since the engine can be commanded very easily to produce more power than the available traction can handle, over-doing the loud pedal is an easy mistake for a beginner to make. Over-doing the throttle elicits a lift-the-right-foot reaction, which is often overdone, as well. Too much throttle lift produces too little torque to start the car moving, irrespective of the clutch take-up characteristics. Since there is no giant flywheel to store some get-up-and-go, the engine stalls.

Yes, it might be embarrassing to stall a mega-bucks sports car. But, it's only a matter of a few miles of seat time to learn the sensitivity and the appropriate reactions to controlling the CGT like an expert. One merely has to unlearn any bad driving habits that depend on using the flywheel's stored energy to get the car moving. If one is a bit introspective, the technique of using stored flywheel energy to launch may come to mind in ones own driving. You know, rev up the engine a little and then lift the throttle foot while simultaneously releasing the clutch. Dumping a little stored flywheel "oomph" into starting the car from rest is a pretty common driving practice. It just can't be done cleanly in a Carrera GT!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Les Quam
Pro

I agree with Mike except for all that inertia techo jargon stuff that I didn't understand. LOL.
The clutch is really not an issue unless you try to pull away with the E brake on which I have done several times for no apparent reason.

I also use the computer assisted launch when I am in very tight areas or coming off a speed bump slowly or like Mike said at a tight dealer parking lot . But even then it's not necessary. I never use it from a stoplight it just sounds cooler when you rev the throttle a little.

Mike had a great observation regarding how fast the car revs. I have noticed on downshifts I tend to over rev the engine and am always amazed how little throttle input it takes to match the revs on a down shift? My two biggest driver errors with the car (besides leaving the E brake on) are to over rev the downshifts and shift from second to fifth gear and miss third generally because the engine revs so fast my reaction time is behind the shift and I rush the upshift.

The fantastic thing about the CGT is that I am INTERACTING with the car and it rewards me when I drive well and lets me know when I am sloppy and not paying attention.

Jeff,
I didn't see the Barber park thing you mentioned.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Steve N.
Racer

I agree with others - the "no throttle"" mode works fine for creeping into the garage, etc. I really don't try to drive the car away from stop lights with this feature - it just doesn't feel like a natural act - but I bet it would work ok. I have accidentally left the e-brake on and used the "no throttle" method to pull into my garage, and the engine does not stall - to the contrary, it picks up revs, trying to overcome the e-brake. From this experience, I suspect the "no throttle" method works best if you are pretty patient in letting the clutch out - otherwise a stall is likely.

W8MM has it right - the rotating mass of this engine is very low in comparison to a normal street car. This is one reason the engine just jumps to life (with that fantastic motor sound) when first started.

I find myself double clutching for most of my downshifts, just so I have a reason to blip the throttle and listen to that motor spin up. Fantastic!
Old 03-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Originally Posted by redpackage
I've driven the cgt for almost two years and don't find the clutch an issue at all. Yes, it takes a little time to become accustomed to bringing the revs up before engaging to prvent a stall, but it is now second nature. Once you're seated in the cgt it's now a habit to listen for the revs before releasing the clutch. I personally think it was a shame that the early reviews focused on this issue.
I was told to not touch the gas and just let the clutch out and the engine management would kep it running....... Now if you've been driving yours for two years I assume you know what's up but why would I have been given instructions to drive that way????? And it works, it didn't stall. And I would assume that's much better on the clutch!

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I should have read all the posts before sending my reply....

Quick Reply: CGT clutch