Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a thread with some value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 01:24 AM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about a thread with some value?

I met a fellow Porsche enthusiast back in July at a track event. We had several great laps with my CGT and his 993 TT. After many conversations, he recently purchased a CGT, and enjoyed a tremendous 24 hours of driving the car back to his home state. It's what happened on Day 2 that forms the subject of this post.

He was driving the car fairly hard, probably beyond what is recommended for the break-in period. He looked in the rear view mirror, and suddenly saw blue white smoke billowing out the passenger side of the engine compartment. The car was towed to the local dealership, where after several days they determined that a plug in the variocam oil pump had popped out? The fix was to re-install the plug, clean the entire enging compartment, reinstall the engine, and refill with oil. Everything apparently should be good to go.

Question is, has anyone else heard of something like this occuring with their CGT? I told the owner that I had not heard of anyone else having this problem, and that it is probably a rare one off issue. I'm curious if other owners have had this problem, and appreciate anyone sharing valuable, factual information.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 PM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never read or heard of this happening to anyone previously.

Unfortunately I don't have much to add to this thread, but it is nice to have a thread that is informative.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:10 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

This is the first mention I have ever heard of such an occurrence.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
He's very lucky he didn't have an engine bay fire.

Somewhat related issue/thread with the current 'wet' Cup cars:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/253789-cup-cars-check-the-chain-tensioner-bolt.html

Quick Reply: How about a thread with some value?