Sponsored by:

Jay Leno and the CGT, TLC tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeglaskid
I bet NICK blew a load when he saw that!! was probably post coitus for an hour!!
I have not seen the video but I am not surprised it happened. Jay Leno is no where near the driver W. Rohrl and Perry McCarthy(former F1 driver also known as the Stig) are and they lost control of the car.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:50 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, if you DO watch the video, you'll see that Jay is not just some daily driver... he did an awesome job of recovering from the skid... even the pro driver was very impressed.

Also, you can't really compare what Rohrl and McCarthy were doing with what Jay was doing... those speeds at Taladega in ANY car can give you problems... it's got nothing to do with the car itself.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I noticed that both pro driver, David, and Jay are wearing Hans - smart guys.

Marc
Old 10-28-2005, 11:56 PM
VikDiddy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an article on the run in the October issues of Porsche Panorama.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:45 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Jay did pretty well controlling the cgt when it spun out, good driver IMO
Old 10-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgrant
Actually, if you DO watch the video, you'll see that Jay is not just some daily driver... he did an awesome job of recovering from the skid... even the pro driver was very impressed.

Also, you can't really compare what Rohrl and McCarthy were doing with what Jay was doing... those speeds at Taladega in ANY car can give you problems... it's got nothing to do with the car itself.
Your right, both Rohrl and McCarthy lost control of the CGT at lesser speeds. I stand corrected.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:53 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

You REALLY don't get it, do you?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Steve N.
Racer

The Pano article stated an amazing fact - the flying lap speed bested the top qualifying speed for the most recent NASCAR race at Talladega by 7 mph!!! That sort of gap over the top qualifier - in a fully sorted, purpose built race car - is simply astonishing.

For Nick - do you think NASCAR drivers ever spin in qualifying in their purpose built hot rods? All the time, buddy. My point is that you are near (at) the edge with these kind of speeds. It is for this reason that I am surprised Porsche let Leno in the car.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgrant
You REALLY don't get it, do you?
Obviously, you didn't.

Steve, I went through curves in a CGT at 125 mph where previously I would have bet my house it was impossible to do at those speeds. It is a great handling car but unfortunately easily unsettled which leads to bad things happening.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick
Obviously, you didn't.

Steve, I went through curves in a CGT at 125 mph where previously I would have bet my house it was impossible to do at those speeds. It is a great handling car but unfortunately easily unsettled which leads to bad things happening.
Nick, the car is NOT easily unsettled. Not anymore than any other mid-engined car. You need to get over that.

So W. Rohrl spun it? So what? That was during development, and I bet he spun EVERY car he ever tested. You need to spin it at least once to see where the limits are. That is what he is paid to do. Same with the "Stig". (Which by the way, I watched his Top Gear CGT lap recently, and frankly he was pretty sloppy - I think I could do better).

I spun my CGT at the track. It was very progressive, it did not snap. Jay's spin happened at much higher speeds, and any car is going to be more sensitive at those speeds, partly because of the aerodynamics.

There is nothing inherently flawed in the stability of the CGT. That is a myth. I will agree with Nick that it probably should be sold with some form of PSM for use on the street (not the track) so that average drivers don't get into trouble. I personally have never had a bad moment on the street with my CGT, but I can imagine some new drivers might benefit.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:02 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve N.
That sort of gap over the top qualifier - in a fully sorted, purpose built race car - is simply astonishing.
The restrictor plate has a lot to do with the slow NASCAR qualifying speeds.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

back when NASCAR wasn't running restrictors, the other Donohue in another Porsche beat their qualifying avgs too. in those days, when my friends drove Hemis, SS427s, Boss 302s, & similar, I found those cars to be a bit prone to snap-instability at their limits (or was it ours?).
Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Steve N.
Racer

I don't know how to do the quote thing - but regarding the restrictor plate comment - part of my amazement is that the CGT, in near stock configuration, would be driveable at speeds well in excess of the NASCAR qualifying speeds, recognizing that these cars (NASCAR) are uniquly engineered to perform on a banked oval, etc.

Quick Reply: Jay Leno and the CGT, TLC tonight!