Sponsored by:

Will the CGT ever fall below $200k

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Les.....

The local Porsche dealer's parts manager quoted me those prices a month ago.........the PCCB brake rotors are priced at $11K CAD "apiece" at retail..........I saw these numbers right on the dealer's parts computer screen, there's no mistake my friend......all figures are in CDN dollars mind you. The pads were only a couple of hundred bucks mind you........as previously stated.

GT2 PCCB rotors are not far behind in price......and at some point I imagine a steel brake kit for the CGT will be available if it is not already.

This was just one of the many contributing factors to the GT2 price collapse......and the juries verdict on PCCB2 is still out.......remember, I am not knocking the car at all......just pointing out what will be an factor to be considered by the knowledgeable buyer at resale time.

Last edited by YYC930; 01-05-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:29 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC930
... the rotors are priced at $11K CAD apiece at retail..........I saw these numbers right on the parts computer screen, there's no mistake my friend......
So, YYC930, just how many rotors do you think are needed for my first brake job? Please give me an exact number.

Irrespective of some early GT2 rotor overheating failures at race tracks (or equivalent driving), I've never heard of PCCB rotors as a frequent wear part. I've never heard of a Carrera GT needing rotors, but have heard of quite reasonably priced pad replacements.

What will my odometer read when I need my first brake job? Please be specific.

Your arguments sound a little like a house inspector working for a buyer who is trying to beat down the price of prospective purchase by magnifying hypothetical problems to the point of hysteria.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

8MM - One of our locals tracks his C-GT and after > 15 track days, no signs of problems on his brakes. Same seems to be the case for a Challenge Stradale which suggests the problem on the GT2/3/TT is not so much the PCCB but a lack of adequate cooling. It appears that they fixed it on the C-GT. Rgds de VE2PY
Old 01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

I can only hope that Bob's comments prove to be consistent over time with all the new, and currently low mileage, second generation PCCB cars out there (I don't like to see P-cars depreciate like they have been in recent years either guys......my comments here are not representative of a hidden agenda in any way).........then he can change his signature.....LOL !!!

W8MM.....

No one can answer your questions yet.......but if it's the consequences of the answer that concern you.....surely you can then understand how they would concern the resale market and the next potential owner. That was my point.......
Old 01-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by e6tme
If someone doesn't have the means/maturity/desire/*****/ to own a CGT, why tell owners that their cars are too expensive/fast/dangerous to own? It is so inane, just give it a rest.
What makes you think we don't?

This thread had to do with whether the CGT will fall below $200,000. Many have proffered reasons as to why it will and why it won't. The reasons on both sides have validity. Time will tell which side is right. Why attack the posters for offering opinions?

I can understand your sensitivity because you apparently are the owner of a GT2 which is in a free fall from a depreciation standpoint. Also, the European moniker for the GT2 "Widowmaker" would explain your cavalier attitude toward safety. Safety does matter because we share the road and our safety is at stake.

Please enjoy your car but do not accomodate your sensitivities to justify a fatuous attempt at censorship.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:46 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
What makes you think we don't?

This thread had to do with whether the CGT will fall below $200,000. Many have proffered reasons as to why it will and why it won't. The reasons on both sides have validity. Time will tell which side is right. Why attack the posters for offering opinions?
Because you post the same thing over and over and can only offer up lame examples (ooh! Lightning beat a CGT!) in an attempt to further your tired argument. Your repeated subjective opinions for not buying a CGT are partially why this thread has degenerated into what it is now. Your opinion is well established, yet you just keep coming back for more.

I can understand your sensitivity because you apparently are the owner of a GT2 which is in a free fall from a depreciation standpoint. Also, the European moniker for the GT2 "Widowmaker" would explain your cavalier attitude toward safety. Safety does matter because we share the road and our safety is at stake.
Don't be a donkey. First off, you know nothing about me, so stop making ridiculous assumptions. Secondly, equating a car that is challenging to drive at the absolute limit to be unsafe is simplistic and foolish.

Imagine how much safer you'd be in an Audi or Volvo sedan with a full roll cage than your convertable Ferrari. I don't know how you can reconcile not having a roof over your head if your car were to inexplicably flip over or something were to fall on it from above while you were driving...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Les Quam
Pro

With traction control and the granny paddle shift transmission it would practically take an act of God to have Nick in his spyder lose control and flip over. Driving one of those cars has got to be like playing a video game at this point? It seems to me Ferrari in an effort to cater to buyers who are like soulless robots too lazy to acquire any real driving skills has watered down the car to such an extent the driving experience is more for impressing others than appreciating the art of driving. LOL

Sometimes I crack myself up.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Les Quam
Sometimes I crack myself up.
You're cracking me up too, Les!! LoL
Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by e6tme

Don't be a donkey. First off, you know nothing about me, so stop making ridiculous assumptions. Secondly, equating a car that is challenging to drive at the absolute limit to be unsafe is simplistic and foolish.
I guess it is alright for you to make assumptions about those of us who have issues with the CGT (we lack resources, maturity and whatever else you mentioned). Your public profile displays a picture of a GT2. I assumed you owned one but I suppose you are acting as though you own one. I apologize.

The reason why this thread is degenerating is the subject matter is uncomfortable to owners of CGT and understandbly so. The problem is people like yourself annoint themselves as judge and jury of others through ridiculous assumptions and name calling.

I displayed a video demonstrating that street racing really compromises performance of cars and you call it stupid.

Your comment "equating a car that is challenging to drive at the absolute limit to be unsafe is simplistic and foolish" displays your lack of knowledge of the subject matter. Driving the CGT at its limits without safe devices is suicide for a non professional. Next time you post, try learning something about the issue.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your comment "equating a car that is challenging to drive at the absolute limit to be unsafe is simplistic and foolish" displays your lack of knowledge of the subject matter. Driving the CGT at its limits without safe devices is suicide for a non professional. Next time you post, try learning something about the issue.
haha I think you're a little off base here man - the CGT is not a dangerous car. It has three pedals and a steering wheel, and it only does what you tell it to do. I get tired of seeing these ridiculous posts describing how dangerous cars are. The only thing that is dangerous is an idiot behind the wheel.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:50 PM
DMin
Instructor

pcar964

Clearly you aren't capable of understanding Nick's "logic." Please move on. Nothing more to see here.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Les Quam
Pro

I for one would like to see a picture of Nick in his long johns reading an issue of Forza. Whose with me on this??

Nick don't take it personally most of us understand your main objective in these threads is for us to drive as safe as possible in our CGTs given the terrible loss of Ben Keaton. We ALL still miss Ben a lot and understand if some of your posts make even one of us CGT owners drive a little more conservativly or make us more safety conscious all the abuse we give you will be worth it.

I for one drive my CGT with a little more care just because I don't want to listen to you tell me "I told you so" if I stuff the car into something. LOL
Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You just don't get it. Driving any car, whether it is a Corolla or Carrera GT, is inherently dangerous. The point is you've gone on ad naseum about your opinions, and everyone knows how you feel. Mission accomplished.

So how about you stop regurgitating the same blather and thank your lucky stars you have the self understanding that you lack whatever is required- whether it is the resources, the stones, the skill, the self control, the simple desire, whatever- to own a CGT without killing yourself. Over and out.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

DMin - I guess I have to move on with pcar964. I happen to agree with him. I owned and tracked a GT2 for 3 years and enjoyed driving it very fast. Dangerous? Define dangerous, knives are dangerous, scissors are dangerous, triple black diamond ski runs are dangerous - hell, life is dangerous. A C-GT is like a really sharp knife. In the right hands it is a joy. In the wrong hands it is a danger. The point is, the owner of a very sharp knife takes appropriate care or suffers the consequences. How is a C-GT different from a Viper (to name another car with a lot of power)?

I bought a 430 because I am not rich enough to buy a C-GT. I did not buy it because it is "safer". I doubt that the 430 is "safer" than a C-GT both have enough performance to get you into serious trouble. Gie them the respect they desere and they are safer than houses.

Regards,
Old 01-06-2006, 06:34 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Going back to the original question, it seems the salient points have been made. The CGT was produced in numbers adequate to saturate existent demand. That demand was somewhat less than expectations, because a number of potential owners (some of whom are represented here) could not equate the advantages wth the disadvantages compared to other alternatives.
While this wasn't the case for those who made the decision to buy, the real question is the mindset of potential buyers in the secondary market, once the original emirs, tycoons, celebrities, and really succesful guys decide to sell.
My point is that for those of us at the fringe, the price will need to be low enough to offset anticipated high costs of off-warranty ownership. If I decided to take the plunge, I suspect I wouldn't use it at the track, since you could buy a faster, more repairable car for far less than the cost of a relatively minor repair of a CGT.
This isn't true of everybody, because there are lot's of people in the top .01% of earners who don't care. But, are enough of them enthusiasts to keep the prices high?
Bob is unquestionably right that everything is dangerous. I've seen more injuries from people falling off the roof than from tracking. But having been on my roof with trepidation, I wouldn't try ironwork on a skyscraper. As a curious aside, everybody has handled scissors, but trying to clip nose hairs with at real pair of fine surgical scissors would cause most acomplished scissors users to find another instrument. If you paid the hundred bucks to own the finest scissors in the world, you would never pick them up to use on yourself(Plastic surgeons, Moh"s dermatologists etc. exempted).
The CGT may be in that catagory for track use. That's another factor that will impact how owners use their cars, hence desirability, hence demand.
I suspect that the price of a CGT will drop no lower than the highest price of a fully loaded tt in the future. It may never reach that point. But, speaking for myself, at that point it would be a serious option for me. AS

Quick Reply: Will the CGT ever fall below $200k