Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know the story behind this wrecked CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005 | 04:50 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Mike,
Have you had your Carrera GT on the track yet? If so how does it compare to the 962? I know the 962 is a pure race car but just curious. I love the 962! I also love the Carrera GT!
Buddy,

I'm not really qualified to give an impression of the 962 at track speeds since I didn't get enough seat time to know what I'm talking about. One of the few things I remember was the feeling that the 962 was really BIG, compared to my other Porsches which I had driven on the track. One sits pretty far forward in the 962 and I hadn't shaken the habit of running over the lumps at the apex with the rear wheels. It was like driving a half-height Chevy Impala station wagon while sitting in the engine compartment

The 962 had more power, only weighed about 70% as much as the Carrera GT, and had bigger tires (which were slicks). It was, of course, faster in most ways. However, it's possible that the CGT drives "better" in certain ways, starting with turn-in.

When I was testing an early g.Analyst in the 962 during pre-race set-up at a Daytona road race, Hans (H-J) Stuck was quite interested in what the data traces said about the car and his driving of it. When I told him that from the shape of the friction-circle plot I guessed that the car didn't like to turn in. He said, "Ja ... I keep telling them. This is the main problem with this car!" I wouldn't necessarily generalize about all 962s from this one observation, but it applied to my 962 that day with Stuck at the wheel.

From my limited track experience in CGTs, I'd have to say that the turn-in characteristics of the Carrera GT are exemplary.

As another data point, I asked Roland Kussmaul (Weissach ace test driver and CGT development guy) which Porsche, of all those he had driven, most compared to the feeling of the Carrera GT. Without thinking for more than a split second, he said, "The GT1." Jochen Rohr (GT1 racer and sometime Cincinnati resident) was standing next to us when I asked Roland the question, so I turned to him and asked what the GT1 was like to drive on the track. He replied that it was one of the sweetest cars he'd ever driven on a track.

That's about all I know that might answer your question. Until I find a track event that's convenient to my schedule and attended by drivers that I trust to be out on the same track with me, I won't know much more.
Old 08-11-2005 | 04:29 AM
PSK31
Intermediate

Mike,
on an unrelated note, have you figured out where to mount the hf equipment in that puppy? Do mag-mount antennas work on carbon-fibre .. not to well I'm sure
Stunning vehicle Mike in every respect, just hope you have a damn good radar receiver in her for those quick jaunts on the public road ways.

Kirb, VE6IV

Quick Reply: Anyone know the story behind this wrecked CGT?