Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT crash and 5 point belts

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 11:59 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i rode in ben's car he did not have the 5 points.....
Old 06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
cahuck
Track Day

I just opened a CGT and looked behind the seats.

Behind each seat, there are 4 separate plugs that when removed expose threaded bosses impregnated into the CF firewall.

If you look where the factory seatbelt mounts to the base of the seat there is an obvious bolt head holding the setbelt that removes for the lower mounting point too!

Chris Huck

Last edited by cahuck; 06-05-2005 at 04:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Pierre, thank you Chris Huck. I checked my sources, 7 other of these have had accidents, but no fatalities until now...I'm deeply struck by this.

Also, what about the brakes? Wasn't there some sort of complaint about them, and Porsche refused to upgrade them? I'm just thinking of anything to make any CGTs safer, for current & future owners.

- Julie
Old 06-05-2005, 09:43 PM
DMin
Instructor

I checked my sources, 7 other of these have had accidents, but no fatalities until now...
A Carrera GT owner in Dubai suffered a fatal car crash a few months ago. It was posted on the 6speed forums.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:51 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a similar response in another thread and I'll bring it here in hopes that this tragedy an help sharpen our thinking about safety.

I don't remember where I read it, but I believe NHRA requires cages in cars that reach a certain elapsed times. The reason is because these vehicles are capable of reaching speeds and carrying sufficient momentum so as to exceed the capacity of the OEM safety equipment to protect the occupants in the event of an accident.

This makes a lot of sense to me and I always thought the same for DE cars running on a closed circuit track: once you car reaches a certain level of HP, the cage and other safety items (H&N device, window net, fuel cell, etc.) should be mandatory.

As others have pointed out above, five point belts may not have changed the outcome. To survive a crash of that magnitude requires a full safety systems: cage, harnesses, H&N device, etc.

The fact is, in the event of an accident, a car that can reach that kind of speed has an unacceptable probability of seriously injuring or killing the occupants. We can debate whether car manufactures who indulge in this ever escalating race for more horsepower are culpable, but in the end it is your and my responsibility to protect ourselves.

High HP and high speed demand a level of safety that is commensurate with the cars potential. Anything less poses a serious risk. Something to think about...
Old 06-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

I stand corrected. 3 deaths out of 7 accidents...any deaths is too high. We each need to consider our own safety.

If we are going to exceed speeds of 120 MPH, then we need to willingly bring up the levels of our safety equipment - it is available, though maybe not cosmetically pretty.

We all love our cars, whether they be the Exotic supercars on down the spectrum. We need to look out for each other.

Let's help each other bring higher safety standards, and learn better control of our cars.

We all love our cars - let's not forget people who love us are counting on us to make it back alive. They are the ones who pay for a long time...they will suffer depression, blame themselves, and think maybe you didn't love them enough to hang around (I lost my boyfriend in a car wreck, then my dad died; I felt completely abandoned). Took me a long time to deal with it.

- Julie

Last edited by Devia; 06-06-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:18 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Julie, I totally agree with you and am sorry for your losses....
Old 06-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, Mike...that's why I'm so much into the safety, along with enjoying our cars.

I love nearly all Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and other exotics...with great power comes great responsibility.

- Julie
Old 06-06-2005, 05:01 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Terrible event. After I viewed the pics, the structure of the car appears largely intact. However if the impact is at very high speeds, no safety enhancements will overcome the accelerations suffered by the internal organs. Typically, the most damage is there.

However, this terrible event may highlight the enhanced safety provided by Hans devices.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

With great power comes great responsibility and also risk. Risk can be minimized but not eliminated. Without seeing an autopsy report we don't know the specifics of damage each body suffered and therefore don't know what devices might've prevented death.

What I take from this before worrying about a ton of safety devices which may or may not have helped or assigning blame to Porsche for the car itself is how to recognize a safely run event from an unsafely run event. From there one can make a decision as to whether continue or pack it up for the day.

Quick Reply: CGT crash and 5 point belts