Carrera GT @ Summit Point pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Carrera GT @ Summit Point pics

The weekend of 14/15 May I ran a DE with Potomac Region PCA. On Saturday there was a Carrera GT running. He was in another group from me so we never got to share the track. Some of my friends showed up on their bikes to check things out. One took some nice pics with his uber digicam. The C-GT just happened to paddock right near me.

Never seen one of these in person before. Eerily quiet driving around the paddock and on track, but my buddy who was instructing the driver said the noise inside was incredible. Owner brought it down from NY in a huge trailer. I talked to him for a bit and he was a nice guy. He was a semi-newbie to track driving so he was taking it kinda easy.

http://www.phear7imports.net/gallery/SurpriseatSummit?page=1

Enjoy!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:37 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Red looks really good & different!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:52 AM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet ride. I agree, the red does look really good on the CGT. I find it interesting that you say it was kinda quiet, the ones I have heard sounded like formula one cars, but with alittle more of a deeper tone. Maybe, since you say he was a semi-newbie to tracking, he might have been keeping the revs low, or maybe still in the break-in period. Would he be tracking it if it was in the break in period, just for fun? What is the suggested break in period for these cars?
Lou
Old 05-26-2005, 12:53 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLou
Sweet ride. I agree, the red does look really good on the CGT. I find it interesting that you say it was kinda quiet, the ones I have heard sounded like formula one cars, but with alittle more of a deeper tone. Maybe, since you say he was a semi-newbie to tracking, he might have been keeping the revs low, or maybe still in the break-in period. Would he be tracking it if it was in the break in period, just for fun? What is the suggested break in period for these cars?
Lou
1k miles
Old 05-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Pulls really well up to 4200 rpm break in limit, and I believe you can go about
121 mph in 6th gear @ 4200 rpm. They do sound great at any speed buy above
8000 rpm is a symphony! So you could track it to some degree during break-in.
Marty K.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woodster
Pulls really well up to 4200 rpm break in limit, and I believe you can go about
121 mph in 6th gear @ 4200 rpm. They do sound great at any speed buy above
8000 rpm is a symphony! So you could track it to some degree during break-in.
Marty K.
the real sound party doesn't really start untiil appx 4500 so if he was religiously breaking it in under 4200, he's in for a treat (and "quiet" isn't how i'd describe it).
Old 05-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

The C-GT at Summit was fully broken in. Driver said he passed 1k miles at Pocono last year. Driving around the paddock the car made no noise at all. Could pull up right behind you and wouldn't hear it. On track it made a little bit more. I spent most of his sessions watch from the Start/Finish tower. The tower sticks out right onto the track almost, which is a good ways down the front straight and as close as you'll get anywhere around the track where one is likely winding it out. It wasn't like an F1 car at all from outside (I've been to the Canadian GP, btw).

Amazing to watch him come out of T10 and absolutely walk away from a pair of TT Cabs. Both TT's front wheels were barely on the ground they were accelerating so hard too.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
The C-GT at Summit was fully broken in. Driver said he passed 1k miles at Pocono last year. Driving around the paddock the car made no noise at all. Could pull up right behind you and wouldn't hear it. On track it made a little bit more. I spent most of his sessions watch from the Start/Finish tower. The tower sticks out right onto the track almost, which is a good ways down the front straight and as close as you'll get anywhere around the track where one is likely winding it out. It wasn't like an F1 car at all from outside (I've been to the Canadian GP, btw).

Amazing to watch him come out of T10 and absolutely walk away from a pair of TT Cabs. Both TT's front wheels were barely on the ground they were accelerating so hard too.
Your right. To experience the incredible sound of the CGT, you need to hear it while it is under full acceleration. Otherwise, it sounds like any other car.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:29 PM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Default Huh? What'd he say?

Your right. To experience the incredible sound of the CGT, you need to hear it while it is under full acceleration. Otherwise, it sounds like any other car.
Hey Nick -

No offense, but you may need to hold the blow dryer further from your ears, or consider limiting your usage of power tools and margarita blenders. The CGT sounds different than any other car I have, whether at idle or full throttle. At least I can tell the difference very easily with my eyes shut.

Only bothersome sound that I've noticed is the transmission noise in 1st and 2nd gear below 2,500 RPM. I know it's not specific to my car from all the others who have posted here on Rennlist. If you a CGT and haven't heard it, please let me know. It makes a sound like someone threw a bag of wrenches into a rock tumbler, and turned it up to 11.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:40 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
Could pull up right behind you and wouldn't hear it. On track it made a little bit more. I spent most of his sessions watch from the Start/Finish tower. The tower sticks out right onto the track almost, which is a good ways down the front straight and as close as you'll get anywhere around the track where one is likely winding it out.

they aren't THAT quiet under full acceleration and they pull from stradales and 360s just like they do TT cabs:

http://videos.eserver.com/cgt1.mpg

http://videos.eserver.com/cgt2.mpg
Old 05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
redpackage
Advanced

Looks like this posting shows a solution to the five point harness problem.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:59 PM
fuse
Advanced

I know the CGT sounds loud enough to hear driving behind me while I am in a Stradale...and roars when thru a freeway over-pass. I love the sound and prefer it over F50 /wTubi. I do notice that while driving, you hear much more engine sound vs. exhaust note though.

I haven't noticed the tranny noise in 1st or 2nd under 2500 rpm...could just be that I am on overload still. The idle rattly noise before the clutch engages sounds pretty annoying...was told that it is from the clutch/flywheel. It's quite the chatter, sounds like a racecar gearbox w/straight cut gears.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:20 AM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Default 5 point seat belts

Originally Posted by redpackage
Looks like this posting shows a solution to the five point harness problem.
I noticed that also. Having finally driven the CGT, I agree with some other owners that the stock seats and belts do a fantastic job. But on the track, the 5 point belts must really add to the experience.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup...I was there at Poconos last year. Nice guy....amazing car.

He didn't have the harness at the time...

Old 05-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 1958 Convertible D
Hey Nick -

No offense, but you may need to hold the blow dryer further from your ears, or consider limiting your usage of power tools and margarita blenders. The CGT sounds different than any other car I have, whether at idle or full throttle. At least I can tell the difference very easily with my eyes shut.

Only bothersome sound that I've noticed is the transmission noise in 1st and 2nd gear below 2,500 RPM. I know it's not specific to my car from all the others who have posted here on Rennlist. If you a CGT and haven't heard it, please let me know. It makes a sound like someone threw a bag of wrenches into a rock tumbler, and turned it up to 11.
No offense taken. At low RPM it sounds like a lot of parts are falling out of the car. But get that sucker up in RPM and it is a symphony. BTW I do not own a CGT but my friend does. However I have driven another CGT. With the top on the sound is really muted.

The thing I like about the CGT sound over other sounds including my 430 is what you hear is mostly engine. A wonderfully sound when under acceleration. My 430 rumbles all the time.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT @ Summit Point pics