Sponsored by:

"Raising Ride Height" - Carrera GT

Old 05-06-2005, 12:50 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JASCLASS
If one cant use the car at standard ride height, then they are buying the wrong car, just my opinion, my main concern about driving a CGT would be damaging the Carbon, not a cheap fix.
fwiw, in my 3k miles of complete exhaustion of all four tires, i was amazed to find not one scratch on the carbon undertrays! the only thing that has thus far ever bottomed out is the plastic piece under the bumper that is designed to take the impact of bottoming out. that said, it would be nice to be able to use both sides of my garage, get gas most anywhere, not have to take a different route into and out of my neighborhood than with all the rest of my cars (including a low **** stradale), etc.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 PM
That Guy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but have you checked the parts prices yet?

Each of those ten milimeters is going to cost you over a grand, USD.

How high do you want a 200mph car? I'm assuming everyone's familiar w/ the GT1 & CLK GTR blowovers?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by That Guy

How high do you want a 200mph car? I'm assuming everyone's familiar w/ the GT1 & CLK GTR blowovers?
10 mm is the max porsche engineers have said will not negatively affect aerodynamics.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 PM
themarsman
Racer

Where are you getting the pricing information? If they truly want 10K for this modification they can shove it up their rectum, I am not really sure if 10mm would really make enough of a difference to be of much value anyway.

I think what is really needed is a lift option similiar to what is on the Enzo, we certainly don't need or want the height at speed but it would be really nice for inclines and speed bumps at very slow speeds. If someone designs a system like this I would be willing to pay 10K for something that truly solves the problem.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:08 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you?

My dealer doesn't know prices yet.

What's your source?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:16 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W8MM
Have you?

What's your source?
i'm still searching too.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:53 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

i took this pic for the GT owners while i was in the CGT factory. although i find it a little bit odd but here it is. hope this answers some of the questions here.

Last edited by 20C4S; 08-28-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:59 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W8MM
Have you?

What's your source?
retail is $10,700 + (gobs of) labor. sunset porsche in oregon has the kit for $8625.65
Old 05-07-2005, 06:30 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ceramic brakes are starting to look like the deal of the century!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by themarsman
Where are you getting the pricing information? If they truly want 10K for this modification they can shove it up their rectum, I am not really sure if 10mm would really make enough of a difference to be of much value anyway.

I think what is really needed is a lift option similiar to what is on the Enzo, we certainly don't need or want the height at speed but it would be really nice for inclines and speed bumps at very slow speeds. If someone designs a system like this I would be willing to pay 10K for something that truly solves the problem.
You guys should really push for a better deal from Porsche to raise the height of the car. Obviously, Porsche must believe it will make a substantial difference otherwise they would not offer it especially at those prices. Additional, they must feel there is a need to do so.

I can foresee a case where a CGT owner bottoms out on a highway doing the speed limit and incurring serious damage. Dutifully takes it in for repairs and Porsche hoping the owner assumes blame and accepts financial responsibility.If the owner does not, then Porsche has some major suitability issues. With this fix, they avoid future claims because they gave owners the option. If they failed to take advantage of it, they are assuming responsibility for the unsuitability.

Every CGT owner in the US should band together and make your case as one.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:19 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

IMO, just as porsche offered to raise customer seats on the cars equipped with the -10mm ride height for free if done w/in the first 3 months of ownership (of course i was never told of this), they should make the same offer for the ride height adjustment. many people WANT their cars to remain at the current ride height so i can understand them not doing on all cars. BUT, it should be a no cost option. i have to say i'm a bit disappointed in porsche that if they weren't going to step up on a $1/2 mil car, they could at least charge a fair price. as well, not every pcar dealer can even conduct the operation because many can't even align the car.

lemme tell ya, labor on this "correction" is going to be nothing short of sickening. the "book" rate calls for 2 1/2 hours, but i betcha alignment will be another couple as well. i was charged 4 1/2 hours for changing the tires and exchanging front brake pads (1 1/2 hours for the brake pads alone and the car was already on the lift with all four tires off!). anyone know if the carbon fiber undertrays have to come off to do an alignment? if so, bank on the better part of a full day of labor for this "correction".
Old 05-07-2005, 11:53 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

My oh My!

What's it going to be like once it is out of warranty? Has Porsche finally outdone Ferarri in the maintenance area. Seems to me from the posts here that the early owners are Guinea Pigs for the Dealers and they get to pay (and pay) for the honor (and training)..costs of ownership might equal the purrchase price before all is said and done..wonder if that is the pricing model?

This can't help the used prices..they must be falling like a rock! Anyone know what these cars are now being bid at?,.... probably under $350K (my guess)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Raising Ride Height" - Carrera GT