Trade 3 for 1 CGT

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade 3 for 1 CGT

What to do? I have a 04 GT3, 97TT, and 04 Gallardo. Combined 18,000 miles on them. Have the opportunity to trade with $120K for a new silver 05 CGT. Keep thinking that variety is the spice of life, it was before I got married, and now seems to apply only to my cars. Should I become a single car man too?? Would still have the 04 E55 as a daily driver...

Those who own the CGT can most likely give me the best advice on this one,

thanks guys for your input

Peter
Old 05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

see your PM
Old 05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
fahren affair
Pro

my guess. ben told you to wait a year when the cgt market falls off you might save yourself a 100gs. a friend was trying to sell the 2nd cgt delivered in l.a. he decided to keep it cos he couldnt stomach taking the hit.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:00 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fahren affair
my guess. ben told you to wait a year when the cgt market falls off you might save yourself a 100gs. a friend was trying to sell the 2nd cgt delivered in l.a. he decided to keep it cos he couldnt stomach taking the hit.
no, not at all. life is too short to wait for another $100k. besides, the last US allocation will be built in July of 05 (there will be no U.S. 06s). so, you may not see that further $100k drop for a very long time. (if you wait a year or two, you've also lost a year or two of warranty which could come in very handy on this beast). if you are an enthusiast as someone with a 993TT, Gallardo, and GT3 most likely is, there is no better automotive rush than the CGT.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Life sucks doesn't it?

I know this wasn't one of your choices but just in case you haven't though of this enough, I wanted to let you know how I'd do it:

I'd sell those three and get GT-1.

GT is awesome supercar but GT-1 is "Steve McQueen of supercars", same way if I had to choose between two Ferrari supercars, after 250 GTO, I'd rather take F-40 than Enzo.

Then wait for a while and buy 1973 911 RS.

I might not be the average person to get opinion from but in my honest opinion, garage with GT-1 & 911 RS...

It just can't get much more cool than that, maybe nicer, but not more cool.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
What to do? ... Should I become a single car man too??

Peter
Hi Peter,

I sold a 962, an IROC 911RS, a BMW-McLaren 320 racer, and a 996 Turbo to buy mine. That's 4 cars, instead of 3

I about broke even and couldn't be happier.

The CGT is a whole lot of spice, if you ask me.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:46 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Flying Finn. A GT-1. If you can find one to pry out of the owner's fingers I would not hesitate to do so. What can compare to one? It embarassed everything else. Maybe a little cramped inside so lose weight.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:03 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I must say WOW!!!! Peter you have great taste when it comes to cars. If I had the resources the 4 cars you own would be on the top of my list. Great choices.

As for the CGT, I have only ridden in one but it ranks as one of the highlights of my adult life. The car is absolutely stunning. The sound is straight out of F1 and the performance is mind blowing. It would be tough to give up the cars you have but if it were me the CGT would be sitting in my garage next to the E55.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:17 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Wow, I've been deliberating a very similar situation for the last week. I’m anxious to see what the responses are.

I have an 04 GT3, a 550 Maranello, a 348ts and essentially my Ford GT fund, so for me its 4 cars for 1!

One of the biggest incentives for me is purely space. The garage at my house is completely full, and I really like the idea of having some breathing room in the garage. I do have off site storage, but I get to drive the cars so rarely that part of the joy for me is walking through the garage every morning and night.

I haven’t yet driven a Carrera GT, but the question is just as you posed, can one supercar do for me what the other 4 combine to do? It has the removable top of the 348ts, the Porsche refinement of the GT3 (and then some!), far more horsepower than even the FordGT (in a MUCH more appealing powerplant), and fantastic enginemusic (although the Tubi’d Ferraris might be a match) but will I miss the variety and the Ferrari mystique??

My wife drives all the cars, and for now I’m not sure she can even see over the dash of the Carrera GT. There’s also the question of the clutch??? I’m not too worried… but I guess I’m not 100% certain..…with practice and a coordinated left foot, can the clutch be released smoothly? What do you do if you’re stopped on a steep uphill grade and someone pulls up inches behind you? Set the parking brake, get out and sheepishly ask them if they wouldn’t mind going around??

Ground clearance and parking concerns? Right now I don’t hesitate to take any of the cars to the grocery store or downtown for dinner, will I be as comfortable with a Carrera GT?

Track days? I have another car that I’ll keep racing a few times a year, but I love tracking the GT3, will I be uneasy hammering the Carrera GT at track days??

One minute I’m ready to do it, but then I think man, that is a lot of money for one car????

Any advice appreciated.

Mark

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
What to do? I have a 04 GT3, 97TT, and 04 Gallardo. Combined 18,000 miles on them. Have the opportunity to trade with $120K for a new silver 05 CGT. Keep thinking that variety is the spice of life, it was before I got married, and now seems to apply only to my cars. Should I become a single car man too?? Would still have the 04 E55 as a daily driver...

Those who own the CGT can most likely give me the best advice on this one,

thanks guys for your input

Peter
Old 05-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Woodster
Drifting

I'd say that a CGT and E55 as a daily driver would be as close to Nirvana as possible. that would
be my two top picks in the world (even if cost was no object). Do the deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a world!! (Oh I guess cost almost is no object)
Old 05-04-2005, 11:37 AM
95beema
Intermediate

Watch the top gear video on the cgt and it might help you with you decision. What an amazing car.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redcar1
...with practice and a coordinated left foot, can the clutch be released smoothly? What do you do if you’re stopped on a steep uphill grade and someone pulls up inches behind you? Set the parking brake, get out and sheepishly ask them if they wouldn’t mind going around??

Ground clearance and parking concerns? Right now I don’t hesitate to take any of the cars to the grocery store or downtown for dinner, will I be as comfortable with a Carrera GT?
i find myself on a steep incline with cars on my **** nearly everytime i come home (at a stoplight) after driving the car. all i do is keep revs at appx 2k (have never used the emergency brake for anything other than an emergency brake) and let the clutch out in the same manner i would in any car. i use the same process at much lower rpms in all other circumstances. it's a non-issue - period. the initial learning curve is not the clutch at all, but instead the lightning fast throttle response and quick rev dropping when you let off owing to the freest revving street motor bar none on the market today. people let the revs drop before getting the clutch out and it stalls. or they over compensate by revving the crap out of it and roast tires. it's all about getting used to the sensitivity and keeping revs where they need to be.

ground clearance is a bitch. i'm used to it and work around it but you will likely find there are some gas stations you cannot use (maybe "grocery store or downtown for dinner" too) because of too steep an entrance. many can be taken at an angle, but many can't. the car will scrape from time to time but it's just the plastic bumper protector on the front. i was amazed to find no scrapes under my car (after hearing all the noise from that plastic piece) when it was recently on the lift for new tires.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Woodster
Drifting

ben, do you mind me asking how many miles you have put on the CGT?
I love seeing people use their cars--that is why we own them isnt it?
thanks,
marty
Old 05-04-2005, 03:15 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woodster
ben, do you mind me asking how many miles you have put on the CGT?
I love seeing people use their cars--that is why we own them isnt it?
thanks,
marty
3k. it would be more but we had 6 weeks of rain (some torrential).

yeah, i'm not saving it for the next guy :-)
Old 05-04-2005, 03:56 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ben in lj
... the initial learning curve is not the clutch at all, but instead the lightning fast throttle response and quick rev dropping when you let off owing to the freest revving street motor bar none on the market today. people let the revs drop before getting the clutch out and it stalls. or they over compensate by revving the crap out of it and roast tires. it's all about getting used to the sensitivity and keeping revs where they need to be.
I agree with Ben's assessment above 110%.

He is exactly right about the "clutch" issue really being a low-inertia engine issue. The Carrera GT is actually a 4-wheeled motorcycle!

Quick Reply: Trade 3 for 1 CGT