Sponsored by:

CGT value V. Hemi cuda Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,
Those are two great Shelbys. I have a 67 GT 500 dark blue no stripes white interioir with a 600 HP motor to drive and enjoy. You can see it on my website www.lasvegasclassiccars.com. The whole obsession now that a 68 big block has to be a KR makes no sense to me both are dogs compared to todays cars. The KR motor is the same in any garden variety 428 mach 1 built from 69 and on. It's more of a status symbol I think. Keep me in mind if you ever want to sell either Shelby.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:38 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you that enjoy collector cars, I highly recommend subscribing to Sports Car Market magazine: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/

This very issue was addressed in this month's issue. Keith Martin, who is a recognized expert on such matters, does not agree with you Les. He specifically discusses newer Porsches, Ferraris, etc in the context of whether one can expect them to appreciate in value the same way the American muscle and older exotics have. It is an interesting article - worth reading - it really comes down to production numbers.

This is one magazine I look forward to every month. If you have any doubt, go visit your local B&N and pick one up.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Jeffrey,
I am a subscriber to Martins magazine and also his internet investment service. He has been down on late model Porsche and Ferrrari's for a while.

Remember my theory is based on the world wide price of fuel rising to a level due to the increased demand from China as to make it unprofitable for manufacturers to continue to focus on large SUVs and perfromance cars. When I look into the future the next 5 to 10 automotive years I see hybreds and alternative fuel cars as the next big thing.

I also believe that when major manufacturers like Porsche who build about 75,000 cars a year build only 24 GT2s for 2004 and 5 GT2s for 2005 and 400 to 500 Carrera GTs and Ferrari builds 400 Enzos and about 360 Stradales that these cars are better values than a 70 hemi cuda coupe that sell for 300K for a premium coupe and a 70 Hemi cuda CV which change hands for 7 figures. I think an Enzo for a million is a better value than a Hemi cuda CV for a million if you can even find one for a million.

It is difficult to even find a decent no story authentic muscle car for 50K today. But you can find an incredible low mile pristine 1989 930 turbo for 50K and which is the better value? Which is more fun to drive? Which would you rather own? I say as a Porsche owner and a muscle car owner I'll buy the Porsche.

Finally Keth Martin has been saying for the last 5 years that the muscle car bubble is about to burst and five years in a row he has been dead wrong. I like Keith and respect his views and his work but he is no more accurate than anyone else in predicting the future. IMHO It's fun to discuss and debate this topic though.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Hemiragtop
AutoX

The allure of the Muscle cars as opposed to Super cars like Porsche & Ferrari is that back in the day your average Joe family man could walk into the local Dodge dealership and plunk down 4,000 dollars and walk out with a 425 H.P Hemi, and commute back and forth to work in it, Porsche are amazing cars buy have always catered to the more fortunate. Both have their pros & cons, but one of the main reason Muscle cars especially rare stuff like Hemi & 440 Six Pack convertibles are commanding $$$$$$$$$$$$, is the low production figures. To say which is better is a matter of opinion; personally for me I'm fortunate to have both. Great site by the way, I have been a lurker for quite sometime.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Hemiragtop,

Welcome to the site.

I don't think there are any cons to owning a muscle car only positives. I don't think low build volume fully explains muscle car values or demand. I have one of the five 2005 Porsche GT2s built for NA and only myself and the other 4 owners truly seem to care. LOL

Last night I had to run a short errand and chose to take my 70 judge convertible instead of my CGT. I put the oldie station on and the music , smells of unburned high octane fuel along with the engine exhaust note and driving that old 4 speed has an allure I can't quite articulate.

My father and uncle sold Ford and Plymouth new cars in the late 60s and early 70s finding a Hemi cuda rag top was not as easy as walking into a dealership because of the low amount built. A new Hemi cuda rag top would set you back in 1970 and 1971 about 5500 and I think when houses were selling for about 30k. IMHO they weren't so cheap back then either. I think the 69.5 A-12 optioned RR and SB were cheaper and more designed for the common man as were the Hemi rag top RR and SBs. But I think the cuda 440 six pack convertibles were pretty pricey as well for 1970 era?

What year is your hemi rag top and what type of car is it if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-18-2005, 01:16 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
For those of you that enjoy collector cars, I highly recommend subscribing to Sports Car Market magazine: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/

This very issue was addressed in this month's issue. Keith Martin, who is a recognized expert on such matters, does not agree with you Les. He specifically discusses newer Porsches, Ferraris, etc in the context of whether one can expect them to appreciate in value the same way the American muscle and older exotics have. It is an interesting article - worth reading - it really comes down to production numbers.

This is one magazine I look forward to every month. If you have any doubt, go visit your local B&N and pick one up.
Here's the article: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/artic...ting-gears.php
Old 06-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Les Quam
Pro

This month in the same magazine they discuss how the Ferrari F-40s and
F-50s are appreciating and on a roller coaster ride up.

Every car when sold new becomes a used car after being sold and depreciates. Years later some appreciate some don't if one could accurately predict which ones were to appreciate that would be quite a feat.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Hemiragtop
AutoX

I have 6 Mopars, 1971 challenger R/T 440 Six Pack, 4 speed, N96 Shaker, triple black survivor
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 440 Six Pack, Burnt Orange/Burnt Orange
1970 Charger R/T 440 Six Pack, 4 speed, Top Bannana
1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack, 4 speed, Alpine white
1969 GTX convertble 440 4 speed alpine white/blue survivor
1966 Hemi Belvedere convertible, Mauve metallic
All my cars are #'s matching, documented w/paper work etc

,I had 95 993 Cabriolet currently own a Cayenne,I bought my wife aCayman S(left deposit), she went crazy for that car when she saw it, even wants it in a 6 speed..smart woman I married!!LOL
heres is picture of my 70 6 pack Challenger, 1 of 38 made

Last edited by Hemiragtop; 06-18-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Hemiragtop
AutoX

Another, my R/T and my Mauve Hemi ragtop at a local show
Old 06-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Hemiragtop
AutoX

66 Belvedere convertible,Hemi 1 of 6 made
Old 06-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Holy smokes are those some incredible cars!!!!!!!

Don't stop there how about a picture of the 71 triple black shaker challenger survivor and some information on it's history? Hope I am not being to nosy?

How did you ever find that Hemi CV? How do you find a car of which only 6 were built back in 1966?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Hemiragtop
AutoX

Originally Posted by Les Quam
Holy smokes are those some incredible cars!!!!!!!

Don't stop there how about a picture of the 71 triple black shaker challenger survivor and some information on it's history? Hope I am not being to nosy?

How did you ever find that Hemi CV? How do you find a car of which only 6 were built back in 1966?
Thanks for the kind words all my cars have great stories, I have tracked down the ownership history (all owners) for every car except 70 6pack Charger, I have not begun the research yet. The black 71 has 10,989 original miles 4 speed,,ps,pdb, 4;10 super track pak ,am/8track, all original wires,hoses,plus TIRES!!I bought it from the original (ownerfemale) in Feb of 04 for $8,500!! & that's no typo. Real cool car, I have some photos of it new, but that car is in storage. First chance I get I will post some cool pics.
Plus 2 buid sheets, dealers invoice,payment book.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Hemiragtop,

8500 for that 71 RT in 2004 is an astonishing find. Absolutely amazing!

I know a guy who found a 70 RA 4 restored judge for 47K and sold it for 130K and I thought that was a find. Your find tops the list in this day and age of muscle car mania.

Have you brought it to the Mopar nats to compete in the OE survivor class yet? The original tires alone are worth about 10K. The original parts on the car are probably worth 75K by themselves. VERY impressive collection.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:46 PM
GuyR
Racer

Those prices for Musclecars are absolutely nuts and remind me of the late 80's bubble in classic car values - we all know which way that went........

Guy

BTW Gas has been $7 per gallon here in England for years.............and I don't hold back on using it.....
Old 06-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Hemiragtop
AutoX

Originally Posted by GuyR
Those prices for Musclecars are absolutely nuts and remind me of the late 80's bubble in classic car values - we all know which way that went........

Guy

BTW Gas has been $7 per gallon here in England for years.............and I don't hold back on using it.....
I agree to some degree about a bubble bursting, but it has been 10yrs with Mopars and I don't see it slowing done any time soon with hi end cars "Hemi's, Six Packs, E bodies etc" Remember supply & demand, when you have some heavy hitters looking to relive their youth and their are a limited amount of premimun cars, price's crazy real quick.

Quick Reply: CGT value V. Hemi cuda Convertible