Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT value V. Hemi cuda Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 11:23 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real interesting.. sorry had to... 4 real!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:26 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I had a '70 440 Charger R/T in college... When I graduated in '82, I sold it for $1200.00... I saw one not as nice, auctioned at over $70,000.00 a few months ago. You'd think that would be bad enough, but a 2BR/3BA Townhouse in SD, I sold for 225K three years ago just sold for 460K.

The muscle cars are way over the top right now...

BTW, if you see me selling anything - buy it! lol...
Old 05-11-2005, 11:41 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barret Jackson is not a good barometer of the market.
B/c its so famous, nd idiots like to go on TV and outbid the other, its more about who has the bigger ***** in that auction than value.

I would say the majority of cars sold at BJ are over priced - and can ONLY be resold at the next Barret Jackson Auction.

Most people dont even know why a charger is worth $70,000 they just fall into the trap - b/c it isnn't worth more than$10,000.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:57 PM
cmoss

overpriced or not, they aren't making any more of them
Old 05-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Just yesterday a 1970 Shelby GT 500 CV sold for 250K. It had 13,000 miles and a repaint.

A few months ago a Judge CV RAIII sold for 300K.

By the way if anyone can find me a real Hemi charger for 70K I have cash buyers for all of them you can find.

The prices on muscle cars since Barrett Jackson 2005 have actually gone higher based on the two major auctions that have taken place since then and several private sales. BJ is just the launching pad for premium muscle cars at this point. And no it doesn't make any sense.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:02 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Les- How are you liking your CGT?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Les,

Glad to see you finally got your CGT. I was under the impression you swore it off but it sounds like you got a great deal and are really happy with it.

To think of those cars that we trashed as kids and thought would be worth nothing but junk metal now worth so much. Unreal.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Dan,

The CGT is the finest car I have ever owned or driven. All the magazine articles were BS. The clutch is a non issue and the car just rocks!!!!

Anthony,
Ray Joseph of RPM motorsorts has a cobalt blue 1997 993 turbo S with about 7000 miles. The car is beautiful , even I am drooling over it. Check it out. One of only 176 made for NA. You only live once big guy!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Les Quam
Dan,

The CGT is the finest car I have ever owned or driven. All the magazine articles were BS. The clutch is a non issue and the car just rocks!!!!

Anthony,
Ray Joseph of RPM motorsorts has a cobalt blue 1997 993 turbo S with about 7000 miles. The car is beautiful , even I am drooling over it. Check it out. One of only 176 made for NA. You only live once big guy!

Les, that is the same car that RIchard Sloan had. I have been drooling over it for close to a year now. Ray is asking the same price. I guess they made a trade.

Unfortunately I am on a low Porsche diet until the issues are resolved over my business and property. The state organization is now under indictment for misappropriation of funds. Imagine that, something corrupt in NJ. So it looks like I just sit and wait. At least the property keeps on going up in value. If it all works out maybe a CGT someday.

Keep it under 200.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Anthony,

Very sorry to hear your Emminent Domain problem is still not resloved.

About a month ago a friend took me for a ride in his Ford GT which I was shocked how slow and boring it was. A day or two later my local Porsche tech gave me a ride in a CGT. And I immediately noticed that the clurch I had heard so much about was not a problem at all. And the CGT sound and handling was incredible. Then I researched the Ford GT some more and learned they were up to 14 recalls including a rear main seal leak due to an incorrect sized crank. And that Fords fix was a sleave that is a mickey mouse way to resolve that issue. So Ben lj from this board found me a smokin deal on a new 05 CGT from a dealer in SD and I bought it. 2005 is the last year for the CGT in NA so that was an added bonus. The CGT is just the best damn car I have ever owned. Makes everything else including my GT2 feel slow. I don't have the desire to drive any of my other cars so I am in the process of selling most of my muscle cars I have sold 4 since purchasing the CGT.

In regard to the cobalt 993 S. Ray and Sloan don't get along so I wonder how the car ended up at Ray's???
Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Les Quam
Anthony,

Very sorry to hear your Emminent Domain problem is still not resloved.

About a month ago a friend took me for a ride in his Ford GT which I was shocked how slow and boring it was. A day or two later my local Porsche tech gave me a ride in a CGT. And I immediately noticed that the clurch I had heard so much about was not a problem at all. And the CGT sound and handling was incredible. Then I researched the Ford GT some more and learned they were up to 14 recalls including a rear main seal leak due to an incorrect sized crank. And that Fords fix was a sleave that is a mickey mouse way to resolve that issue. So Ben lj from this board found me a smokin deal on a new 05 CGT from a dealer in SD and I bought it. 2005 is the last year for the CGT in NA so that was an added bonus. The CGT is just the best damn car I have ever owned. Makes everything else including my GT2 feel slow. I don't have the desire to drive any of my other cars so I am in the process of selling most of my muscle cars I have sold 4 since purchasing the CGT.

In regard to the cobalt 993 S. Ray and Sloan don't get along so I wonder how the car ended up at Ray's???
Couldn't tell you how he got it but it is definitely the same car and it is no longer on Sloan's site. I don't see it listed as sold either. So my assumption would be that Sloan pulled a Sloan and he never actually had possession of the car. Just was listing it and after no luck at selling it Ray probably bought it from the real owner.

I was under the impression that the Ford GT was a relatively fast car. On par with the GT2. But as I see now, you say that even the GT2 feels slow in comparison. Probably because it is. 0-100 time alone is sick.

I had a chance to get a ride in my fathers friends Enzo. Albeit a short ride and he really had no chance to push it too hard I was amazed at how fast it was. The sound was intoxicating and I felt a little intoxicated after being a passenger. Although I need to drop about 45 pounds to fit in the thing properly. The Enzo was amazing however I still like the look of the CGT way over the Enzo. I have only had the opportunity to sit in a CGT while the engine was running and I was not so impressed how it sounded at idle compared to the Enzo but as either pulled away they both had a unique and amazing tone. Kind of like a battle of the worlds greatest bands, both talented artists now its up to the driver to decide which is better.

I wish you luck with your new toy. BTW the muscle cars are great nostalgic hardware and crazier things have happened than people spending $3mill on 2 tons of steel. I just think its great that with all that money frivolously spent by others on detroit's baddest muscle cars, it's German Carbon Fiber and engineering that still impresses you.

Plain and simple "there is no substitute"
Old 05-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Les Quam
Pro

The Ford GT felt no faster than a stock 03,04 viper and actually I think any GT2 will easily keep up with it if not beat it. I was really surprised how slow it felt. I was expecting it to be faster than a viper and GT2? But considering all the problems Ford is having with the first 500 Ford GTs built perhaps that has something to do with it.

It's my understanding Ford built 15 mules or prototypes for the Ford GT all used a different motor ,Chassis and body then the production models for testing purposes. Then Ford built three preproduction prototypes to test for the actual production model. So know one seems to know which cars were used for all the magazine tests that showed the incredible quarter mile and top speed numbers. Even then the actual production model used parts that were not used on the preproduction models such as the control arms which subsequently failed on the production model. To my knowledge no one has tested an actual Ford GT delivered to a customer or actual production model?

But I did watch as a 2004 Ford GT sold for 305K at Barret Jackson and I know of several changing hands in the 250K range. All of which make a CGT at 400K seem like a steal. IMHO
Old 05-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So what percentage of a CGT will my driver 68 GT500 Convertible get me ;-)

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 05-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Jason,
Is your 68 GT 500 a KR?
Original engine? There were no matching numbers on a 68 you need to look at casting dates of block and compare with build date of car.
Original body panels?
4 speed or automatic?

Recently at barrett Jackson a green 68 KR with the wrong transmission(4 speed but built with automatic) sold for 224K but it had all original parts and was concours level restoration.

Right now 68 big block Shelby convertibles are hot. The flavor of the week.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No sir Les, it's "just" a GT500. The block date seem to indicate original engine. Like a lot of the big block cars, it's sustained some front end damage at some point...read, goes good but doesn't stop very well...lol. This car is a decent driver but certainly not concour...kind of the way you'd like it so you're not too paranoid to drive it. I also have a 67 GT500 4 spd. that I'm having restored right now...it should be very nice but I'm not building it to show necessarily, I just want a nice car. The 67 is definitely my favorite and my 3 yr. old sons. He has a matching Hot Wheel car...dark blue with white le mans stripes. In addition to Porsche, the Shelby Mustangs have always been one of my passions. Luckily both of these cars were bought before the prices started to skyrocket. At present I'll probably keep them both but with 3 Porsches and 2 Shelby's, somethings gotta give at some point!

Quick Reply: CGT value V. Hemi cuda Convertible