Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have got to get me one of these!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have got to get me one of these!!!!!!!

After all the magazines and other baloney I finally got a chance to experience one as I got a ride in a CGT today.

The sound is incredible it was a new car waiting for delivery so I only got to sit in the drivers seat and rev the engine but it has amazing throttle response and terrific power from a passenger perspective. The very best thing about the car is the lack of a paddle shift and front wheel drive so other than traction control it's you and your skill level.

The Porsche tech has abandoned Porsche's advice on the clutch and gives it a little throttle from each stop and has not had a problem since he gave up on the Porsche method. He showed me how slow the car leaves from a standing start without any driver assist as Porsche advises. Which is a joke quite frankly. As I said he did not have even the slightest problem and only applied light throttle to proceed from a standing start. So that eliminated in my mind any driveablity issues I previously had.

The car is unbelievable. I will be selling some muscle cars and finding one of these as soon as possible. WOW!!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:58 AM
AmirGT2
Instructor

You think you're in love now but wait til you drive it. Absolute Driving Nirvana. Go for it Les.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Les Quam
Pro

I am in love but need to try to figure out where the market is on these cars. I don't see any reason to buy a new one when so many low mile ones are available in the high 300s? I also wonder if this amazing slide will continue or level off at some point.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:03 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

I think the prices will level off at about the 360-375 range. A big part of the problem right now with these cars is that Porsche is over saturating the market by releasing all of the U.S. cars first to avoid the 2006 DOT air bag problem.

With so many cars sitting at the dealers' showrooms, I would think that at some point Porsche will come to realize that they need to concentrate on the ROW cars and cut back on the US cars. Therefore, I think the U.S. cars total will end up closer to the 500 cars end of the 500-750 originally quoted by Porsche. Once production is through with the CGT and all of the "right owners", meant as true enthusiasts and not speculators, end up with the cars, you'll see less of them for sale and the prices will probably start to climb once again. There is no way any enthusiast can buy this car and whole heartedly trade it in for another car. I don't care what it is, a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or any other Porsche. It is just that much better than anything else out there. IMHO of course.

It will be a very long time before Porsche jumps back into the Super Car market, ala the 959, and until they do, the CGT will certainly be the king of my stable.

Amir
Old 03-17-2005, 05:19 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Les Quam
After all the magazines and other baloney I finally got a chance to experience one as I got a ride in a CGT today.

The sound is incredible it was a new car waiting for delivery so I only got to sit in the drivers seat and rev the engine but it has amazing throttle response and terrific power from a passenger perspective. The very best thing about the car is the lack of a paddle shift and front wheel drive so other than traction control it's you and your skill level.

The Porsche tech has abandoned Porsche's advice on the clutch and gives it a little throttle from each stop and has not had a problem since he gave up on the Porsche method. He showed me how slow the car leaves from a standing start without any driver assist as Porsche advises. Which is a joke quite frankly. As I said he did not have even the slightest problem and only applied light throttle to proceed from a standing start. So that eliminated in my mind any driveablity issues I previously had.

The car is unbelievable. I will be selling some muscle cars and finding one of these as soon as possible. WOW!!!!
Yes, the Porsche method is horseschit and doesn't work worth a crap. I abandoned it after it failed repeatedly in Larry's car and have not used it once on mine, and have had no problems (inclines with cars on my butt included).

Amir has pretty well summed it up. However, with the Euro riding high and the dollar sucking wind, you have to think Euro buyers (with 4 yr parts warranties vs. 2 no less) will go shopping for their CGT's in the US where they can buy them considerably cheaper in dollars. This has got to help stabilize them somewhat.

BTW, get in touch if you can get over here and I'll give you a much better idea of what the car is all about than you were able to experience with that car.

Last edited by ben in lj; 03-17-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Ben,

I will contact you if I come to town thanks for the offer. My only question now is whether to wait to see if they plummet some more or wait for a 2006 or take the plunge now.

Interestingly enough I was able to take a ride in a CGT and a Ford GT in the last couple of days. The Ford GT reminded me of my vipers in terms of power and fit and finish which in my opinion is very good. The CGT was like no other street car I have ever been in. My only experience somewhat similiar was a drive at Laguna Seca in a Ferrari F50. But the CGT is at another level than the F50 I think.

The Ford GT is more a competitor for a Porsche GT2 IMHO. Except the build quality of the GT2 is superior as was the handling over the Ford GT2. I really believe for the price an unmolested GT2 can be bought for today that it is a suoercar bargain when comparing them with a Ford GT.

As amazing as the CGT was the Ford GT was a huge disappointment. Plus the owner of a Ford dealership told me they already have 14 recalls on the Ford.

I am just really surprised how impressed I was with the CGT. It's ironic how hard we tried to get you out of your contract and now you are the original owner of perhaps the best all around performance car on the planet?

Last edited by Les Quam; 03-18-2005 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: I have got to get me one of these!!!!!!!