My first issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 12:14 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themarsman
I emailed them tonight and I will let you know what price they provide.
better yet, you'll wanna call Jeff in parts there and tell him Sean R sent you.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:11 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ben in lj
when was this issued? i was in a month or two ago and they didn't have one yet (only for our cayenne).
Crap. I have seen the bulletin but I've never read it until right now. Heres what it says.

The lenses of the main headlights on the Carrera GT can fog from the inside in unfavorable weather conditions. The reason is the humidity trapped in the main headlights condenses when they cool off. The condensation forms approximately 30 minutes after the main headlights have been switched off.
A solution is being prepared by Porsche AG and will be available shortly. A separate Technical Information bulletin will be published as soon as the work procedure has been approved.

Parts info:Main headlights supplied by the parts department are the same technically as the main headlights currently installed on the production line. Replacing the main headlights will not rectify the customer complaint and therefore must not be carried out.
Duh... gee thanks for that one Porsche. Sorry to get your hopes up.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTEC
The lenses of the main headlights on the Carrera GT can fog from the inside in unfavorable weather conditions. The reason is the humidity trapped in the main headlights condenses when they cool off. The condensation forms approximately 30 minutes after the main headlights have been switched off.
let's hope porsche is working a little harder on the problem because it happens when they aren't even turned on at all as well. so, hopefully they are correctly and fully replicating the problem or it won't be fully fixed.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:36 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

???
Old 03-24-2005, 01:29 PM
themarsman
Racer

The price they offered was $459.80 and $85 for shipping so if wasn't any cheaper than the local dealer. It looks like they are offering 10% off list and then trying to make it back on shipping.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:02 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The price they offered was $459.80 and $85 for shipping so if wasn't any cheaper than the local dealer. It looks like they are offering 10% off list and then trying to make it back on shipping.
$459.80 is the dealer cost, shipping is around $16 and their 15% markup is around $69.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:17 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 owners: Gert?TRG/ and I think Devek has the cup version for the chin@ $150.00

The first one I replaced was $250 at the dealer six months later they wanted $400.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:57 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
$459.80 is the dealer cost, shipping is around $16 and their 15% markup is around $69.
How do you come up with these numbers?

Here is an exact copy of the last email that I received:

I thought it was something on left or right side for some reason, chin spoiler makes sense of course. It's 459.80 and a week away from us. Plus about 85.00 or so shipping since that part can't be bent it is triple oversize for the shipping box. Let me know, thanks again, Jeff.

If a local dealer was willing to sell it for $511, I don't think that 459.80 is their cost, they don't stay in business making 10% on an item.

In any event I am still making my own as all of these prices are outrageous for such a simple part. The guy I have making mine is fitting it in as he has free time so that it won' t cost me a lot of money.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:55 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

How do you come up with these numbers?

If a local dealer was willing to sell it for $511, I don't think that 459.80 is their cost, they don't stay in business making 10% on an item.
Working from the email you received their cost comes out to $399.83USD, Sunset survives by making 15% on an item. The $85 for shipping sounds like a regular UPS rate, although dealers can/will ship almost anyway you ask (greyhound bus is the cheapest, but... )
When you have your new piece made ask the guy to look into not using the regular laminating resin that he uses for fiberglass work. There are lower-durometer polyurethanes with higher tear strengths, some compounded with impact modifiers and milled kevlar that will work a LOT better and for not much more $$$.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea there is a CGT in Oakland. Hiya neighbor.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:36 AM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by Luke
I had no idea there is a CGT in Oakland. Hiya neighbor.
Hi neighbor! If you ever get out this way send me a PM.

Quick Reply: My first issue