Sponsored by:

One of a kind . . . Gulf Blue CGT

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a lot of money for paint when a lot of very qualified shops would probably do it for less (although i can't imagine much less becaue the prep work on carbonfiber must be substantial). then again a lot of people who buy these are conscerened with resale value and a repaint by a private shop might look like he's trying to hide a repair.

the calipers r a ripoff tho.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:48 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
that is a lot of money for paint when a lot of very qualified shops would probably do it for less (although i can't imagine much less becaue the prep work on carbonfiber must be substantial). then again a lot of people who buy these are conscerened with resale value and a repaint by a private shop might look like he's trying to hide a repair.

the calipers r a ripoff tho.
yeah, it's a lot of money since the entire incrimental cost to Porsche is for the paint since they have to paint the car and calipers anyway.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that $15k is a lot of moula. OTOH, we're talking about a $450k car. 'Tis but a pittance!

One of the factors Porsche has priced into the Carrera GT is exclusivity, with only 1500 being built. That exclusivity is enhanced with a unique color.

You'd think that other automakers would offer similar options, but I'm not sure they do. If you want, you can even supply your own LEATHER to Porsche for seats, dash, doors, etc.

I'm thinking about ordering a new Porsche & taking factory delivery. When I do so, it'll probably be a paint-to-sample car. I think on the 997 this is more like a $6k option.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean
I agree that $15k is a lot of moula. OTOH, we're talking about a $450k car. 'Tis but a pittance!

One of the factors Porsche has priced into the Carrera GT is exclusivity, with only 1500 being built. That exclusivity is enhanced with a unique color.

You'd think that other automakers would offer similar options, but I'm not sure they do. If you want, you can even supply your own LEATHER to Porsche for seats, dash, doors, etc.

I'm thinking about ordering a new Porsche & taking factory delivery. When I do so, it'll probably be a paint-to-sample car. I think on the 997 this is more like a $6k option.
u should send them some gucci leather to make the seats and door pieces out of. then u'd be ballin dawg
Old 03-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

I think having the option is great. Im glad they continue to do it. Ive seen lambos with silk instead of carpeting. IVe also seen full crocodile and ostrich interiors.

Hey, if you want it, and you ready to fund it, why not?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I toured the factory in Stuttgart a couple of years ago. They did mention doing an ostrich interior (ummm, not sure that's such a good idea). One Texas ranch owner provided leather from his own cattle.

They also did a paint-to-sample to match a woman's lipstick.

To each his own, but I love the bold racing colors of the 1970s. Porsche is among the few manufacturers still offering paint-to-sample, customized stitching, etc. Thank goodness they do. Sure they make a fortune on it, but buying a Porsche is an emotional, not a logical, decision!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Ryan S.
Racer

Originally Posted by Ultimate Thrill
Orange would be really cool!
agree, the blue looks damn nice too though.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

The Wyer Gulf 917's were my all time favourite racing Porsches so that is a fantastic colour- and yes, orange calipers would really set it off and maybe names of Siffert and Rodriguez above the door!
Old 03-14-2005, 03:20 AM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Wait..... you can buy like 4 decent 944s if you shop right!!!!!!!
For the amount your going to pay for a CGT you could buy nearly 80 944s.... Yet I would take a CGT anyday.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

I may stand alone, but that is the ugliest color for the nicest car. the boys at the factory must have had a hard time building that one. black, silver, red, yellow all great. this one is awful.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:04 PM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Originally Posted by PerryTishgart/996
I may stand alone, but that is the ugliest color for the nicest car. the boys at the factory must have had a hard time building that one. black, silver, red, yellow all great. this one is awful.
Perry - Standing alone with your opinion isn't a bad thing. Everyone is entitled to their own. The owner of the car loves the Gulf Blue, and that's what's really important.

For what it's worth, I've got a list of 40 CGT's broken down by color combo. 25 are GT Silver (14 with Dark Grey, 7 with Ascot Brown, and 4 with Terracotta). Black is next with 8. Fayence Yellow with 2. The other 5 are Basalt Black, Red, Seal Grey, Signal Yellow, and Gulf Blue.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by 1958 Convertible D
For what it's worth, I've got a list of 40 CGT's broken down by color combo. 25 are GT Silver (14 with Dark Grey, 7 with Ascot Brown, and 4 with Terracotta). Black is next with 8. Fayence Yellow with 2. The other 5 are Basalt Black, Red, Seal Grey, Signal Yellow, and Gulf Blue.
Just one Seal Grey? Amazing, I would have thought that would be a popular choice. BTW, I agree with Perry on the Gulf Blue. It worked on the Wyer cars IMO because of all the race graphics and such. Too "baby blue" on a street machine, even a wild one like a CGT. Just my .02. Twist my arm and I'd take it, though.

Gary
Old 03-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

tdf,
tour de france blue is my favorite in a 360...just spectacular.
and a 6 speed on top of it ( I hear that they are finally catching on <g>)
well done.
Perry
Old 03-16-2005, 12:17 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by PerryTishgart/996
tdf,
tour de france blue is my favorite in a 360...just spectacular.
and a 6 speed on top of it ( I hear that they are finally catching on <g>)
well done.
Perry
Thanks Perry, I admit I'm a dinosaur when it comes to the gearbox. I'm sure at some point in the not too distant future there will not even be an option for the 3-pedal car.

Gary
Old 03-17-2005, 05:46 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdf360
Just one Seal Grey? Amazing, I would have thought that would be a popular choice. BTW, I agree with Perry on the Gulf Blue. It worked on the Wyer cars IMO because of all the race graphics and such. Too "baby blue" on a street machine, even a wild one like a CGT. Just my .02. Twist my arm and I'd take it, though.

Gary
mine is not the only seal grey CGT in the US though it is possibly the only seal grey/ascot combo. his list was just of "40 CGTs".

Quick Reply: One of a kind . . . Gulf Blue CGT