Mike, we're waiting....!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mike, we're waiting....!

to hear about your impressions of the car. I'm assuming it's not taking you a day to learn how to operate the clutch (J/K)
Old 02-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is trying to figure out how to install the V1. Engineering department is in panic mode at this point.

I'll give you my impressions from Leipzig (picking up Ben's car.) It is the most perfect car ever made, only second to McLaren F1. It just needs two things a muffler bypass and wider tires on the back.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:15 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
to hear about your impressions of the car. I'm assuming it's not taking you a day to learn how to operate the clutch (J/K)
I only drove it straight home last night from the dealer. It was about 46F and no rain or snow so I took my chances I haven't had a chance today to do anything except look at it

I thought it was really easy to creep away from rest using only the clutch to start off. I drove it through the dealer service building and out into the street that way.

I was so wound up that I think I was in the middle of an adrenalin crash on the way home! My wife was with me and we were a bit pressed for time to get home and get our daughters fed and packed off to their evening activities.

I stalled it once, just after exiting the dealer's lot, restarting from a wait at a traffic light. That was the only time. I mostly used the idle servo to launch without giving it any gas. It was getting dark and there were lots of "pilot fish" swarming around me in traffic, so I wanted to take it very easy while getting used to the control feel.

I don't think the clutch will be a problem, but I have to experiment a bit with my choice of shoes

The ones I had on made me very concious of how wide the soles were and there were a few moments of concern having my shoes overlap the adjacent pedals a wee bit. The pedal cluster is a little more cramped than I remember from sitting in the Geneva show car, and I wish the dead-pedal on the left was about 25 mm more to the left. But, I think I can educate myself out of this little discovery.

I'll have to get some extended time to play around before I can settle on the right combination of technique and footware. I wear 12 E shoes. That's kind of wide, so the sole style will require some thought

My teenage daughters were surprised by how nice the car looks in the flesh. They had been giving me all sorts of crap about how the car was going to WAY ugly when it showed up. They had formed this judgement from pictures they had seen. The oldest is a confessed "arty type" and was the most surprised by seeing the real deal.

One more note: I can't find the rear roll-stiffness adjustment as picutured in the service summary book. I don't know if something has changed in my car compared to the CGT pictured in the book, or if I just don't know where to look. More on this later.

Here's an interesting feature of my car:
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2005, 10:00 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W8MM
I only drove it straight home last night from the dealer. It was about 46F and no rain or snow so I took my chances I haven't had a chance today to do anything except look at it

I thought it was really easy to creep away from rest using only the clutch to start off. I drove it through the dealer service building and out into the street that way.

I was so wound up that I think I was in the middle of an adrenalin crash on the way home! My wife was with me and we were a bit pressed for time to get home and get our daughters fed and packed off to their evening activities.

I stalled it once, just after exiting the dealer's lot, restarting from a wait at a traffic light. That was the only time. I mostly used the idle servo to launch without giving it any gas. It was getting dark and there were lots of "pilot fish" swarming around me in traffic, so I wanted to take it very easy while getting used to the control feel.

I don't think the clutch will be a problem, but I have to experiment a bit with my choice of shoes

The ones I had on made me very concious of how wide the soles were and there were a few moments of concern having my shoes overlap the adjacent pedals a wee bit. The pedal cluster is a little more cramped than I remember from sitting in the Geneva show car, and I wish the dead-pedal on the left was about 25 mm more to the left. But, I think I can educate myself out of this little discovery.

I'll have to get some extended time to play around before I can settle on the right combination of technique and footware. I wear 12 E shoes. That's kind of wide, so the sole style will require some thought

My teenage daughters were surprised by how nice the car looks in the flesh. They had been giving me all sorts of crap about how the car was going to WAY ugly when it showed up. They had formed this judgement from pictures they had seen. The oldest is a confessed "arty type" and was the most surprised by seeing the real deal.

One more note: I can't find the rear roll-stiffness adjustment as picutured in the service summary book. I don't know if something has changed in my car compared to the CGT pictured in the book, or if I just don't know where to look. More on this later.

Here's an interesting feature of my car:
wow, if yours is #911, they are way ahead of schedule and can apparently make way more than 2 cars/day now.

btw, what is the roll stiffness you're referring to?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:11 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by ben in lj
wow, if yours is #911, they are way ahead of schedule and can apparently make way more than 2 cars/day now.
Production is more than half way through. Mike may have picked that number.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

The important thing is the emblematic meaning of the number (at least for those who respect 911s ). Awesome coincidence or perhaps planned by Mike
Old 02-22-2005, 10:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

...I don't think the clutch will be a problem, but I have to experiment a bit with my choice of shoes
Mocassins are the ultimate driving shoes. Try some, you'll like them.

Mike: congrats on a 911-serialed CGT. Awesome serial number.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:31 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
The important thing is the emblematic meaning of the number (at least for those who respect 911s ). Awesome coincidence or perhaps planned by Mike
Not a coincidence

I asked for a sequence number when my order was placed. PCNA told me the question was impossible to answer because the numbers were not necessarily assigned in strict build order. Upon that que, I asked if #0911 was spoken for as yet. They said, "It used to be."

I said, "Huh?"

They answered, "It's available again. Do you want it?"

You can see the result.

If one doesn't ask, one doesn't know what is possible

Last edited by W8MM; 02-23-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:38 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Service Introduction book I have from my visit to the CGT training center in Atlanta showed a three-position adjustment for how stiff the rear roll bar could be set. It showed the default setting at max stiff.

I can't find it on my car, but it may be hidden by some carbon fiber decorative panels in the aft of the car.

I'll look into it tomorrow after I bring the book home from the office and can compare picture to car, one-on-one.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:17 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Service Introduction book I have from my visit to the CGT training center in Atlanta showed a three-position adjustment for how stiff the rear roll bar could be set. It showed the default setting at max stiff.

I can't find it on my car, but it may be hidden by some carbon fiber decorative panels in the aft of the car.

I'll look into it tomorrow after I bring the book home from the office and can compare picture to car, one-on-one.
I thought you were referring to the rear sway. I'm not sure they are still set max stiff from the factory given the lateral hop I experienced in Larry's 04, but not in my 05. My surprise comes from your comment that the adjustment may not require jacking the car up, removing undertrays, etc. Please let me know what you find out - though I wouldn't change the way my car is set up (it's perfect).

And, I'm very releived to hear your #911 was out of sequence given a recent 05 delivery was in the 400s.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Nice start, objective and honest, keep them coming..this car is very much on my mind!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats Mike! I love the #911! That is way cool! Drive it in good health!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thats a great number Mike. Thanks for the review and I look fwd to hearing more. I recall you were concerned about seat fitment... which seat option did you choose and how does it feel?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:07 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats mike,
we spend a lot of time in batesville, in visiting family - we'll be on the lookout for you when we head into 'the city'...i'll be doing my 'pilot fish' impression!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloth
I recall you were concerned about seat fitment... which seat option did you choose and how does it feel?
I got the free "XT" wide-seat option for both driver and passenger. They seem to fit just fine, although I may now have a slightly different shape than when I tried the regular seats in Geneva (that was 2 years ago).

According to the order guide,"Offers Approximately 2.4cm Additional Width
Over Standard Bucket Seat", which is almost a whole inch. This contrasts with something Roland Kussmaul "guesstimated" while I was in Geneva when he made hand gesture with his thumb and fore finger that seemed to indicate about half an inch.

Anyway, the XTs fit my butt and rib cage just fine. I'm 6'4" with a 34 to 35" waist (pre- or post-holiday feasts) and a 44L jacket size.

I've yet to play with the included thicker seat-front, under-thigh bolsters. It might help, or hinder, my leg position for comfortable pedal operation. That's next up on the experiment agenda

Last edited by W8MM; 02-23-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Mike, we're waiting....!