Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moved up production schedule

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004 | 04:56 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm.... Sounds like a public company trying to make numbers in O5'.

Hopefully they have something in their bag of tricks for 06'.
Old 11-25-2004 | 05:18 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Amir,

I think I posted the petition.

You can see all of Porsche's filings here: DMS Web

Do a keyword search for "Porsche" and then click "Reverse Order" in the results. You will see links to the petition 1/2 way down the page.

The petition concerning the CGT was for reconsideration. The most recent is dated 6.26.2003 I have been unable to find any further info.

Greg A
Old 11-25-2004 | 05:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AmirGT2
Nick,

Whatever became of the airbag issue? I remember someone posting a copy of the petition to the D.O.T. and that was it. Did Porsche ever resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Amir
Amir I believe Gregg has responded to the specific info you asked for. Your CGT is 2005 and should not be affected.

Two things you can be certain with Porsche. They have excellent safety features in their cars and they go like hell. I enjoyed driving the CGT. It was a blast. However, there was no way I could get the true performance of the car on local streets and highways. It is a track car and it is where it belongs.
Old 11-25-2004 | 07:18 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Thank you Greg and Nick.
Old 11-25-2004 | 08:05 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Amir,

You're welcome. I only wish I could have provided more recent info.

Greg A
Old 11-25-2004 | 11:13 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

so maybe they felt porsche was trying to see them as idiots when they exaggerated their position by 100% when they said:

"Approximately 500 cars of Porsche niche models will be eliminated from the U.S.
market if credits cannot be used for the final year of the phase-in"

production is 1500 total/500 year of which 1/2 are slated for the US. so, one year off US production is 250 cars - not 500. sounds like porsche solved it anyway by just moving much of the cars into the US before sending them ROW. they'll tank hard as they can NOT be sold in this quantity this quickly until the ROW steps in and buys them at a major discount using currencies which are significantly strengthening against the US $.

and it ought not help porsche in the future when they make such requests when the NHTSA learns this too was BS since they have in fact done just this:

"The vehicle models that are of concern are very special cars even by Porsche standards and production cannot be advanced prior to September 1, 2005."
Old 12-03-2004 | 09:17 PM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Curious if anyone's heard more about the move up in the CGT production schedule.

Speculation at the local dealership is that my July 05 car will be delivered in the May/June timeframe. For Porsche to complete all US CGT's by 9/1/05 won't they have to be producing about 50 cars a month just for this market? If so, are they just going to push back the CGT production for the ROW until after 9/1/05? Also, I just read the November PCNA sales results that stated 18 CGT's were delivered during the month. The numbers don't make much sense.
Old 12-04-2004 | 02:49 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg A
The petition concerning the CGT was for reconsideration. The most recent is dated 6.26.2003 I have been unable to find any further info.
Use the docket-ID as a search term not Porsche. There is one other US government website with a LOT more written correspondence between Porsche's lawyers and US government agencies, covering issues from as far back as the seventies and new things such as potential dashboard designs that aren't even out yet. I thought I had posted it when I originally mentioned the airbag issue on Rennteam but I didn't and I can't remember the URL.

Originally Posted by ben in lj
and it ought not help porsche in the future when they make such requests when the NHTSA learns this too was BS since they have in fact done just this:
After reading heaps of documents written by automobile manufacturers I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no way that the NHTSA would think for even a second that Porsche was not BS'ing them. For every proposed safety/EPA rule & regulation that would possibly do some good, there are hundreds of documents from the automotive manufacturers claiming the rules will bankrupt them and kill jobs. Porsche knew about this rule a LONG time ago and rolled the dice...
Old 12-29-2004 | 12:22 PM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Default Production schedule change is official

I received notice that my CGT will be built in April. The original date had been July, 05. I'm now looking forward to a great summer of driving!!!
Old 12-29-2004 | 02:46 PM
Woodster
Drifting

In my neck of the woods that would be called "sports car summer"!!

Quick Reply: moved up production schedule