Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 10:52 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F40 and CGT-what a combo!

A friend of mine recently acquired these two beauties in the last month or so:

Last edited by LonnieR; 02-12-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:43 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Sweet, give us a link to something larger though.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...&highlight=f40
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2004, 05:03 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

does he have a daughter?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and I see my good friend Lonnie already posted some pics I had on F-Chat and 6speedonline.

I will post a series of pics when I get home
Old 10-13-2004, 09:57 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

Here's more pics of the two supercars
Attached Images    
Old 10-13-2004, 10:15 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting to see the two cars side by side. I vote Carrera GT!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:18 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Hi Alex,

Awesome combo. Care to give us a comparison between these two beasts?

BTW, did you use to own an M5 as well?

Thanks.

CP

Last edited by CP; 10-13-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Baron009
Pro

A lot of people have criticized the Carrera GT saying it's exclusively for the track and not practical when it comes to the road.

What's your opinion on how the GT handles everyday streets? How does it compare to the F40 on the street?

Appreciate any feedback.

(And awesome pics by the way!)
Old 10-14-2004, 02:43 AM
alexpapas
Intermediate

The CGT is a contradiction in definitions. It is a supercar with all the creature comforts you expect of a superb Grand Tourer. It has a nav, radio, airbags, leather covered seats storage etc, yet it is capable of ferocious performance on a par with almost any supercar you care to name.

It is relatively docile in urban traffic and all the BS you have heard about the clutch is basically untrue. The clutch requires some experience, but anyone who has driven sports cars with manual transmission will soon get the hang of this clutch. It initially feels like an on/off clutch with no transition but there is enough to be able to get smooth low speed takeoffs in traffic. The "clutch" issue is really a free revving engine that takes first time CGT drivers by surprise. It revs freely like a go kart and that can put you off your stride as you prepare to move off and the engine revs to 6,000. The subconscious reaction is to get off the gas at the same time as you are letting the clutch out. This causes a stall. All that is required is a bit of time driving the car and you soon get the feel for where the clutch disengages.

I have used the CGT for mundane things like school drop off (where it caused a mini riot in the middle school drop off line as a bunch of 13 year olds swarmed toward me). I have also had it running hard and the acceleration is smooth but breathtaking.

The F40 on the other hand is a pure uncivilized beast. It has no creature comforts. Not even an interior door handle, just a cable you pull to disengage the door lock. The F40 clutch is very predictable and the brakes are awful unless they are very hot. The acceleration as the turbo boost kicks in at 3,500 RPM is an otherworldly feeling. I have never felt anything quite as intense. It is hard to drive in urban traffic unless you are prepared to limit the RPM's to under 3,000. Anything more, in any gear, and you literally get a kick in your pants as the turbos makes the car surge forward. I love the feeling, especially when lining up against someone who thinks they have something worth taking on an F40 with. The drama of a standing start takeoff in the F40 is a noisy event and you have to hold on real tight, looking out for the back end if your ***** give way and you lift just the tiniest bit, whereas the CGT blasts away without any issues at all.

I really prefer the looks of the F40 as I am a Ferrari guy at heart with several F Cars in my stable. The CGT evokes a lot of emotion in onlookers, but riding in it is a very serene experience, even at ridiculous speeds. It is my first Porsche BTW and I couldn't be more pleased with it.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:23 AM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by alexpapas
It is relatively docile in urban traffic and all the BS you have heard about the clutch is basically untrue. The clutch requires some experience, but anyone who has driven sports cars with manual transmission will soon get the hang of this clutch.
Alex -

I think you may be selling your own abilities short. I don't have any personal experience with the CGT but I know of several very experienced high-end manual box sports car drivers who could not master this clutch. One I believe put 4k miles on his CGT and sold it because of the clutch issue. Others have cancelled their orders after driving the car. I am inclined to think you have exceptional ability to handle this clutch. My hat is off to you, and both the CGT and the F40 are magnificent automobiles.

Gary
Old 10-14-2004, 01:22 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Are you "Alex Papas" the race car driver?

If so, I enjoy watching you work

Roy
Old 10-14-2004, 02:03 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RWO
Are you "Alex Papas" the race car driver?

If so, I enjoy watching you work

Roy
When I grow up I want to be Max Papis the race driver. Right now I'm Alex Papas the old adolescent (I actually refuse to grow up. That would entail becoming responsible and acting like an adult.)
Old 10-14-2004, 08:15 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

what is F40 worth nowadays??? i knew someone who bought it as an investment, i wonder if it panned out....

just curious...
Old 10-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Wecome to the forum Alex, it's alwase a pleasure to see an ultra exotic car in the hands of a car guy, instead of another stock broker or mafioso (no one says you can't be those also but I doubt any of them would be on a chat forum ).

Now that the pleasentries are over lets get down to business. Have you tracked any of those cars yet?

Quick Reply: F40 and CGT-what a combo!