Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you bored of your Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Rufus Sanders
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ben, yeah, we can all hit those speeds for a few moments, but you can't really drive at that speed here. It sounds like you've drien a CGT, do you own one? If so, what do you really do with it? My guess is what ever you really do is what it's really good for for. If 100 feels like 150, what would 180 feel like (Does the driver of the yellow one at PCGB Brands Hatch do it justice? or is it really like that?)- Ruf
Old 09-13-2004, 06:24 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

I have done about 160 on public roads over quite a distance. This was however, on an extremely well maintained road in a very isolated part of california, at 2AM on a wednesday. I literally went 20 minutes without seeing another car in either direction. speeds like that are safe, however the conditions under which that is the case are rare. (who drives to the bay area at 2am on wednesday?)
For the most part, a CGT will never see that speed on an american road (german, yes), and anyone who takes it to that speed will most likely be doing so under unsafe conditions.
And that video of the mustang was made in germany. speeds of 170 are completely safe, during almost any time of the day, so long as the road is not crowded. peoples attention to driving and strict adherence to road safety and the AMAZING quality of the roads make it 100% safe to cruise the autobahn midday at 170
Old 09-13-2004, 07:30 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I've driven one mildly aggressively. I've also ridden in one around the factory track in Leipzig piloted by LeMans winners. That said, I am in the process of cancelling mine which was due to arrive in early November. The car is a great track car, but wouldn't be a real blast in town.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:29 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
These cars are focused track cars. The people who are buying them are using them for daily driving beucase it fits their budget and it helps to let everyone know their account balance at wells fargo when they drive it. the right crowd is not buying this car, and for exotics in general, never will be.
What characteristics would identify the "right crowd"?

I used to drive an IROC 911/RS around on the street. Its only real problem was the exhaust noise level -- it attracted too much notice from law enforcement. I actually drove it from Cincinnati to Watkins Glen and back for a track event. If the CGT ends up impressing me as more extreme than the IROC car, perhaps you'll have a point. Until then, I plan on ignoring the nay sayers and happily contemplate my 1Q2005 build-out date.

I could have taken another poster's advice and kept my 962 for the track and saved some new-car depreciation. I've previously posted my real world challenges to overcome about taking the 962 anywhere (high pressure air bottles, etc.) and its school-bus-like turning circle. I decided that taking a Carrera GT to the track would be a whole lot simpler to accomplish (no 45 day planning required), AND I could drive it around on the street from time to time, too.

In fact, as I've matured (OK, ... gotten to be an old fogey), I've given up on dedicated track cars. I sold all of them to make room in my garage (and my bank account) for the Carrera GT. I can't imagine the CGT being more impractical to drive on the street than the IROC 911/RS, the 962, or the McLaren-BMW 320. Maybe it will prove to be so, but I'll be really surprised. And, ... I'll be the first to say so if it actually turns out that way!

I am amused by claims that Porsche has misled customers when stating that the Carrera GT was Porsche's interpretation of a race car for the street. If it drives like a race car, but has license plates, air conditioning and air bags, it seems to me that Porsche called it about right. I've actually driven race cars on the street and I'll be my own judge when I drive mine home from the dealership next Spring.

I'll let you know.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

Mike why wait? You can buy one now and have it within a week.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:27 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike why wait? You can buy one now and have it within a week.
Because I want a Signal Yellow CGT with red brake calipers and a thicker steering wheel. Seen any of those?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I applaud you for ordering a custom color CGT!

Something happened to sports car colors in recent years...everything turned to shades of boring gray. The CGT will look stunning in Signal Yellow. I'd also like to see one in Signal Orange or Tangerine.

If you're going to get a car like a CGT--why buy off the shelf? Might as well get something unique and interesting. Bravo!
Old 09-15-2004, 03:50 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

I've had mine for five days now. It is fine on the street (except for those in stop-and-go traffic or steep driveway transitions). The only sacrifices are the lack of cruise control and storage -- the former to keep your license, the latter to keep your payoff cash. Discipline is required to stay within reason of speed limits where inforcement is frequent, as in Wisconsin. I hesitated before I laid down my cash, but now I am thrilled I took the leap!
Old 09-15-2004, 03:57 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

"...beucase it fits their budget and it helps to let everyone know their account balance at wells fargo when they drive it."

I meant to comment on this in my last post. I detest stereo types. I could care less what anyone thinks of my bank balance. Some of us, who have the skills to grow some net worth, just like cars. So Aero, buzz off.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

I have done about 160 on public roads over quite a distance. This was however, on an extremely well maintained road in a very isolated part of california, at 2AM on a wednesday.....For the most part, a CGT will never see that speed on an american road (german, yes), and anyone who takes it to that speed will most likely be doing so under unsafe conditions.
Well, actually you can drive at those speeds on American roads. Just come on out to Nevada for an Open Road Race next summer. Most are 100 miles in length, Pony Express is 130 miles. Top speeds in unlimited class is over 200mph. I would LOVE to see a CGT join us!!!! I officially volunteer to be the navigator if needed. (I've navigated for the 145mph class, with sustained top speed of 165mph)

By the way, official top Porsche 928 speed through radar trap was 210mph!!!

For more info www.openroadracing.com

Rich
Old 09-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by W8MM
Because I want a Signal Yellow CGT with red brake calipers and a thicker steering wheel. Seen any of those?
Mike,

Had you heard anything for sure about custom colors or an expanded color selection?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:56 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sloth
Mike,
Had you heard anything for sure about custom colors or an expanded color selection?
Yes sireee, Sloth, I have.

I can't put my fingers on my order print-out right now, so I can't quote order code numbers, but my car is FOR SURE Signal Yellow as a paint-to-sample with an "approved" color. Not every color is available for paint-to-sample orders. There is some sort of approval process required before a given color can be ordered. I assume that this is because some colors can't be replicated with the paint technology used for the carbon fiber parts, and then have them color-match the plastic bumper cover parts painted with a different paint and/or primer chemistry.

The CF parts arrive at Leipzig already painted by the carbon panel supplier; Porsche itself doesn't do the painting on CGT panels. This makes paint-to-sample much more difficult for Porsche to offer for cars built at Leipzig than it is on the Zuffenhausen paint line. There might be lots of supplier arm-twisting required as well as concern over being able to guarantee finish quality with just any old paint chemistry. It probably drives the Porsche AG purchasing department crazy.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Mike. As of this past Friday, we (Hyroller and I) have not heard anything about custom colors through our contacts at multiple dealers. Could you provide some more information about the ordering codes, "approved" colors, and what we need to get the ball rolling on this one??
Old 09-27-2004, 10:49 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Sloth,

Customer tailoring, which is (some day) new for MY 2005 CGTs, has been "on the way" since early May without any order guide coming to fruition as yet. My only advice is to pound on your dealer to ask Atlanta wazzup wit dis. I re-iterate that I absolutely have Signal Yellow paint-to-sample confirmed on my CGT and am working on red brake calipers and a thicker steering wheel to add to the mix.

I took the opportunity to agressively persue paint-to-sample about 7 months ago directly with PCNA in Atlanta. It worked for me, but "Your Milage May Vary"

My order has had a big deposit for a long time (they know it's a real order with a real customer), but PCNA jacked me around when I tried to visit Leipzig to view a Fayence Yellow car and sit in wide-option seats to check out proper fitment. I complained to the highest places. Perhaps they decided to try to make me happy with a not-for-prime-time program that hadn't made it past the PAG upper echelon when offered to me. I really don't know.

I don't know what else to say.

Good luck.

Last edited by W8MM; 09-27-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Mike.

Quick Reply: Are you bored of your Carrera GT?