Sponsored by:

CGT delivers a spanking to the Enzo on the AMS test at Nardo

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobalt,
I think the CGT is much better looking than the enzo.
Even if they were same price I would go with CGT.

I just think you waived your right to comment on the looks of any car due to the fact you drive a senior citizen grandma blue oldsmobile oops I mean Porsche.
My grandma actually owned a buick that looked a lot like your cobalt blue Porsche LOL

Mike,
You are my hero I wish I could enjoy my cars the way you do.
In my book a guy who takes his CGT out on the track with the fantastic attitude that if it breaks I will not worry about it, I will just enjoy it. Is a most centered down to earth kind of guy. More power to you.

My concern would be the lack of a rollbar, cage and proper seat belt restraints for the speeds the CGT will attain at mid ohio. The CGT more resembles a track car than street car. So not havng more safety equipment would worry me. But I worry about everything anyway.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Les,

Sounds like your Grandma was a great lady, good eye for color. Way ahead of her time. Is that were you got your need for fast cars from?

I was told by a friend of mine who races vintage Alfa's that if you race you cannot worry about breaking or crashing the car. He says if you worry about it you have lost the race before you start. When I manufactured some Magnesium rims for him, I was worried about them breaking. He just laughed and said he breaks them all the time. He just picks up the pieces and puts them back together again. Many of the vintage cars he races are worth multiple CGT's. I am not sure what his tipo 33 is worth but I am sure it is not cheap.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:15 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Les Quam
My concern would be the lack of a rollbar, cage and proper seat belt restraints for the speeds the CGT will attain at mid ohio. The CGT more resembles a track car than street car. So not havng more safety equipment would worry me. But I worry about everything anyway.
You are correct to be concerned about track safety. As it turns out, the Carrera GT is already outfitted with chassis anchor points (called inserts) for 6-point harnesses. And, the seats already have the all the correct pass-through places for these belts.

Enjoy!
Old 07-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Cobalt,
Why must we be subjected to a new picture of your car each month.
Don't you realize this blindingly ugly car will never show well at any angle.
Changing the angle and picture will not solve your problem only some paint will make you feel better about the car. LOL
Old 07-30-2004, 11:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

LOL
Jealousy is a beautiful thing.

I will let you know how I fair at next weeks concourse.

Then again if you would post some pictures of your Black S I may concede. Although Excellence had an article on a 94 3.8 RS in Cobalt blue that may win hands down over all Porsches IMO.

Les, what is your opinion of the Cayenne turbo? I test drove the CS and found it to be a bit lacking. I believe you had owned an S before your turbo. Care to share some input? I think for the deals they are making on the Turbos it doesn't make sense to settle. But then again I can't seem to decide what to buy.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:54 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

There really is no comparison between the CS and CT. The CS is just a boring experience that leaves you wondering why on earth you'd pay those $ for those looks and that performance. OTOH, the CT is just breathtaking in the things it does for a 5k lb truck! It's not clear to me how anyone with the means could drive the two back to back and not take the CT. That said, the acceleration hesitation is absolutely awful on the CT and I don't remember that being the case with the CS.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ben in lj
There really is no comparison between the CS and CT. The CS is just a boring experience that leaves you wondering why on earth you'd pay those $ for those looks and that performance. OTOH, the CT is just breathtaking in the things it does for a 5k lb truck! It's not clear to me how anyone with the means could drive the two back to back and not take the CT. That said, the acceleration hesitation is absolutely awful on the CT and I don't remember that being the case with the CS.

I have not driven the CT yet only the CS. I was not interested in paying 90+k for by all rights a truck. But with the deals they are giving on the Turbo it makes no sense to buy a fully loaded S. IMO the power on the S is dead until it hits 4 grand. Even my turbo has full power at 3k rpm with almost no lag. I felt rather uncomfortable with the vehicles lack of low end power. I was just curious to see what Les felt since he had both. I think for $80+k for a turbo is not a bad deal, however I don't need another truck and for that much I may head towards an Audi A8L or RS6. Any of these will suffice and my wife doesn't need a monster truck.

I am confused. It appears you are saying that the Turbo suffers from sever lag issues. I guess I might as well tets drive one and see first hand.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Anthony,
I have not experienced the lag ben is referring to on my CT.
My turbo stays right with my friends 2002 996 carrera in a drag race and has enough room for my kids and my dogs. Plus it is great in the mountains of Colorado both summer and winter.
I am 100% satisfied with my CT. Could not be happier.
I only wish they made one in cobalt blue so my 80 year old mom could drive one.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Les Quam
I only wish they made one in cobalt blue so my 80 year old mom could drive one.

Me too.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:45 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Were you guys really just arguing about C-GT's vs. Enzos?? Now that wouldn't be so bad except you aren't doing the 944-board "if I won the lottery" type of arguing. You guys are doing the "MY Carrera GT will..." type of arguing.

What a delightful problem to have; debating over your car against _______ and knowing it will probably beat whatever you choose to fill in the blanks with.

Any of the said cars mentioned in the thread are good enough to make me smile ear-to-ear on a daily basis. I'd consider myself far past blessed to even take one for a road test, let alone put the keys in my pocket. Cheers to the C-GT owners... you lucky bastards

Quick Reply: CGT delivers a spanking to the Enzo on the AMS test at Nardo