Sponsored by:

Idea for Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 05:46 AM
Pathy
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Idea for Supercar

I know Porsche wants to stay on the "cutting edge" with their next hypercar and that probably means something all-electric, BUT, how many of you agree with me that if they were to, say, re-make a car like the Carrera GT but make it modern, but retaining the ICE powerplant and the manual transmission, that this kind of car would sell like hotcakes?

Think of all the people that appreciate the CGT but never had a chance to "make it their own" and buy something like that brand new. Of course, it wouldn't just be a copy of that car, but something modern, but retaining the essence and soul of that car. A similar, but unique and different style, with a something similar to the V10 but different.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:49 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the CGT was last of the breed. Too many idiot drivers and greedy lawyers now. I can see the day when steering wheels are outlawed.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

THAT kind of car may nOT sell like hot cakes
many current buyers' idea of what a "car" or a "super car" has changed from what I grew up with
some of them can't even parallel park without 3 guys out side spotting for them and still need back up camera
so to them, a super car would need to drive it self
Old 02-04-2024, 01:42 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Porsche has its efforts to produce nostalgic driving experiences. All the 6 speed gt products represent this: 6pd gt3/touring/speedster, 6pd gt4/spyder and the r/st’s being pinnacle of that nostalgia over performance product. The 959, 980, 918 and upcoming “supercar” have and will represent the absolute cutting edge effort at that time. At the time, the transmission porsche plopped in the cgt wasn’t a nod to purists; it was the absolute best they could do and felt the bespoke manual they put in the cgt was better than any form of auto they had or could develop (w/in cost and time constraints). At this time in history, some version of a battery assisted or fully-ev car represent the cutting edge technology for power plants and that is what we will get. While there might be an appetite for a nostalgia based hyper/super-car, Porsche has never done that and most major manufacturers do not. The niche guys will. The big boys will offer some nostalgia compromise cars in their lineups and it feels like it almost kills Porsche to do it because they clearly are a function over form German car manufacturer at heart. They sorta get emotion but it is secondary to performance/reliability/durability/profitability/etc. I love cars with emotion and I love Porsche and I’ll admit Porsche’s TOP most emotional cars of all time land somewhere in the average emotion-spectrum of Ferrari or Lambo, as an example. It’s just a secondary priority for the manufacturer we love. What this sub-forum wants is a German/Italian (maybe British substitution for Italian??) love child philosophy and it would probably be a Frankenstein disaster

Porsche is offering you nostalgia cars in its lineup. Its super/hyper-car is never going to be one of them UNLESS you buy one from an era already passed. They aren’t going to do a singer cgt; hmm, maybe singer will one day?! Actually, Porsche will redo your cgt to your liking if I understand correctly, as long as timeline and budget are open-ended. That might be your best hope to scratch your itch with a porsche badge on it. Otherwise there are niche hyper efforts out there that are happy to take your money for the exact product you are referring. Just not Porsche

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 02-04-2024 at 06:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
brake dust (02-06-2024), ByeEnzo (02-04-2024), W8MM (02-05-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 02:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

its hard to do modern nostalgia
regualrtoin and so forth
find a good old car and you be very very surprise
my really well done 914/6... I am not sure that I like my CGT over that!!!
The following users liked this post:
smokeygt (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 09:00 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 702 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
its hard to do modern nostalgia
regualrtoin and so forth
find a good old car and you be very very surprise
my really well done 914/6... I am not sure that I like my CGT over that!!!
All this clamoring over expensive new GT allocations when the best Porsches are right under our noses already on the road.

Quick Reply: Idea for Supercar