Sponsored by:

Doug DeMuro

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 04:50 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Doug DeMuro

I've been following Doug DeMuro on youtube quite a bit, as have many others, for his car reviews and opinions. Semi-Recently (~1 year ago?) he bought his own Carrera GT, which has always been his "dream car", and has since been enjoying it. Even more recently, he bought a 1980s Lamborghini Countach, and this was interesting to me because in the CGT he had already bought his "dream car", but seems to be enjoying the Countach even more than the CGT. The reasons seem to be: it is even wilder, crazier, and more showy and attracts more attention. All fair points; the CGT is more subtly beautiful and refined, but the Countach is extremely over-the-top.

In the review video at:

He makes some interesting points about the future of supercars and supercar desireability, stating that one of the main reasons he decided to invest in the Countach rather than a more modern supercar is because "speed has been democratized", and that even cheap Kia EVs can accelerate faster than his Carrera GT, so that cars that just go really fast, as supercars used to have a stranglehold on that market, are no longer as interesting or impressive, and that high-end car buyers will tend to prioritize the overall "experience" of driving rather than pure numbers or performance.

What do you guys think about this situation in general, and his comments, and is he right about this? If that is the case, then, well, going for the fastest EV hypercar might actually be the bad move for a company like Porsche, because buyers are so disenchanted with ever-faster cars now that everything has the capability to do zero-to-sixty in less than 3 seconds.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:06 AM
911Vintage
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Good discussion points!

As for Doug, the CGT is an absolute dreamcar and the more "subtle" look is what makes it more appealing to me personally. I'm sure for 90% of the population it will look like a Porsche Boxster.
Hence I'm also a big fan of the new S/T (and GT3 Touring). Perception is subjective ofcourse, it would be fun to drive extremely extravagant cars like the Lambos from time to time, but you'll have to deal with the attention it gets.

0-60 times and top speed have never been a priority for many. All these hyper EVs, I just can't be bothered about them and I have a feeling that many true petrol heads who have super/hypercars in the collection are not interested in these super EVs either.
It's all about the driving experience; handling, manual transmissions, feeling,... EVs are just one dimensional - i.e. boring.
Old 11-23-2023, 05:00 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

This has always been the case - a 250 GTO or 300 SLR are not the most valuable cars in the world because they're the fastest, they are so valuable because they have the most special history and evoke the most emotion (sound, some level of beauty, raw analogue experience, etc.).

EVs will be able to check many of the boxes of what have made cars special so far, but they will never have the sound, mechanical complexity, or the level of driver interaction (no transmission to shift, flat torque curve, etc.), so they will always be starting from a worse place as far as future collectibility. Doesn't mean they will be worthless either, it just means they likely won't do as well as an exciting internal combustion car will.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sterling Sackey:
911Vintage (11-24-2023), CGT000 (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 03:29 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

So don't signs point to a full EV hypercar, maybe being poorly received? Or will it not matter because it's a Porsche and if they say it's a hypercar and limited production, people will buy it no matter what?
Old 11-28-2023, 04:34 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

The younger kids don't know any better and love the digital nature of the new numb boring cars that are insanely fast...just like playing a video game

Some tho, some have parents that have shown them the light...my son drives an old manual transmission BMW and he's 17 and loves it!

So there will be plenty of buyers for the boring new stuff...that said, some of the newer stuff the manufacturers are dialing in some fun...so all isn't lost.

That said, for me a CGT and a Singer etc and I'm a happy camper!
The following 2 users liked this post by raclaims:
911Vintage (11-29-2023), EuroWekz1 (12-09-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 12:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

^ amen
The following users liked this post:
raclaims (12-06-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:29 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 335 Posts

I can relate to Doug's enthusiasm as a fellow Countach owner. The car just oozes coolness. Also, this photo I found really illustrates just how compact it is.

Last edited by Scrappy1972; 12-05-2023 at 05:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrappy1972:
911Vintage (12-06-2023), Ufnavy06 (07-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Doug DeMuro