Sponsored by:

Why so Heavy GTC ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:57 PM
quick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this an interesting topic.

The curb weight of my 04 Z06,which has an aluminum and steel frame and composite body panels, is about 3118 pounds. How can a carbon fiber/Kevlar/resin two seater with a super high-tech alloy engine and tranny weigh so much? Frankly, I think 2500 pounds sounds more like it. Does the CGT even have a steel or aluminum subframe, or is it fully composite? I thought if fully composite, which should further reduce weight.

I would figure the tub would be 200 pounds, full body and tub about 600. engine and tranny about 450, suspension about 450, wheels/tires about 180, glass, accessories, interior, and misc about 1000. Total--2680. And that still seems heavy when you talk about the exotic materials used.

Perhaps someone knows where we can get a breakdown of major component weights?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:24 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Isn't the CGT considerably larger than the Z06 in terms of wheelbase, width, etc?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:04 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally, somebody (ben) said it. You guys who see these cars in magazines and in articles here and there need to understand, cars like the Enzo, C-GT, Zonda are BIG cars that no piece of literature can convey. They're VERY BIG compared to anything else with two seats and the only way you'll understand is if you see one in person.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Amir,

You are correct - these cars are big for comparison to cars like a Z4 or Miata. Primarily the track & wheelbase numbers are several inches more. But I have seen an Enzo up close & personal (as did hundreds of others at last years Historics in Portland) and I can't say that justifies the weight of the C-GT. When you compare it to older cars like my 91 C2 at about the same weight you wonder. But compared to a '04 Carrera S4 Cab, and the C-GT is some 300 lbs lighter. No doubt the 5.7 ltr motor adds weight in ancillary parts even if the block is light. But here again a late model Corvette with the same size motor is about the same weight? My guess is that there is alot of pounds in meeting US and other nations safety requirement for a roadster and Porsche not only builds cars to go fast but to be safe and luxurious as well.

Still it is sad to say we have to look at cars like the Lotus Elise if we want to think Light. Maybe some day Porsche will build a really light no frills roadster ... maybe call it the 914 GT
Old 07-20-2004, 06:22 PM
hansi1
Track Day

Originally posted by Luke
The enzo has an aluminum rear sub frame so it would be rebuildible in a rear end collision situation.... the GT does not.
Luke,

Did you do any research on this subject before making that statement?
Old 07-23-2004, 05:23 AM
996CAB
Instructor

As always, the CGT would forever be compared to the 'others' - Enzo, SLR, Pagani etc. That is Porsche for ya...everyone is talking about 'IT' (PORSCHE), great isn't 'IT' (PORSCHE)?

As with the 959, the CGT is a statement that Porsche can build them IF you will drive them, great isn't 'IT' (PORSCHE)?

2 borrowed cents worth...
Old 08-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Todd in Sonoma
AutoX

By the way, doesn't our very own Boxster weigh only 2800lbs? Lets put GT3 engines in!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:56 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hansi1
Luke,

Did you do any research on this subject before making that statement?
There was quite a bit of unsubstantiated BS along those lines in a number of forums, mostly posted by the usual suspects over and over. It was crap then, it's crap now.

Luke is merely guilty of remembering something that he thought was true, but it isn't.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:05 AM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Here is a big thing i've not yet seen mentioned . . . THE CAR IS A ROADSTER!!!
better yet, the roof weighs 8 POUNDS. and here's another one: despite all that, it has a LOT more torsional than a GT3 with a full rollcage. it takes a lot of reinforcement to do that. although this car is lighweight construction through the roof, its still a large car with a big engine. my car weighs 3000 lbs too, but it has a shorter wheelsbase, roughly half the cylinders, no dry sump oil, etc. another majoc weight addition is anything fluid. WATER weighs 9 lbs a gallon nearly. oil and coolants are even more. how much oil does it take to lube a 600 hp v10? how much coolant if that engine is in the rear? the list goes on and on . . .
Old 08-06-2004, 03:08 AM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

for those of you comparing the CGT engine to a vette engine. the CGT is bigger and so it weighs more as we know, but it takes more heavy fluids to lube that engine but more importantly, the engine technology. a Z06 engine is apushrod engine adding cams to that engine is over 50 lbs of weight (car and driver column on the pushrod vrs cam engine.) now put that cam on a 10 cylinder. 50+ lbs just on the engine excluding fluids. now add variable valve timing. that will ring you up to becuase of the valve timing CHAINS and other components of these very heavy systems.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:07 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I wish I could remember where I read that modern safety requirements add hundreds of pounds making the sub-3000 pound supercar nearly impossible. The Lotus Elise gained nearly 400 pounds in getting certified which is a 25% weight gain. Front and side impact regs plus air bags plus roll over protection adds up. AS
Old 08-09-2004, 02:12 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Interesting discussion about the power and weight of the CGT. Here's a post by AdamT on his Yellow Bird CTR:

CP the CTR weighs 1100kg, which is 2425 pounds. The car has all manner of weight savings, nothing in terms of interior refinement, CF doors, hood and front wings.

The CTR also is in the region of 510-520bhp, Mr RUF said the car had an exceptional engine.

CP i think your BTR will produce more than the quoted figure, all RUF cars do,

all the best
adam

RUF built he Yellow Bird in the late 1990 using a 993 body he had stored. Comparing numbers bewteen the CGT and the Yellow Bird 'Special Edition', seems like RUF came out with a winner, 5-6 years ahead of the CGT. Simply amazing.

CP

Quick Reply: Why so Heavy GTC ???