Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Mission X

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 11:48 AM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 63 Posts

Lots of interesting perspectives on this thread. Obviously, market acceptance of an electric hypercar is mixed so far. And yes, an electric car is a hassle cross-country, but remember most hypercar owners use their cars Point A to A, meaning a day or shorter loop from their garage and back.

Anyway, if I may comment on the technical attributes of the mission x…

Although not solid state, Porsche has made a leap on their battery tech. Rimac is not involved in this car, the battery tech is from Porsche, with a run of ~1000 batteries for this car with the eventual goal of having it available in future mainstream Porsches. The battery is not a platform/skateboard like almost every other electric car (including the Rimac Nevera), but sits behind the seats and in the same location as the engine in a mid-engined car. This results in a low polar moment of inertia, akin to a petrol mid-engined car. The new battery is also a lot lighter allowing this car to weigh perhaps 30pct less than the Rimac Nevera, and about the same as a 918.

This car will have incredible underbody aero, with big tunnels running front to back and through the doors. Greater downforce than the current big-wing 992 GT3 RS, with underbody aero instead of big wings. I have attached some of my photos showing airflow through the doors (first photo is trailing edge of door, and second is the door jam looking towards the back).

Acceleration performance will also be incredible. The Rimac Nevera does the 1/4 mile in 8.3 sec at ~170mph. This Porsche will have about a 20pct better power to weight ratio than the Rimac.

And finally lets not forget that handling and turning will be incredible if, as I am guessing, this car is powered by 4 individual motors which will enable incredible agility from adjusting forward or even reverse torque to each wheel individually. Btw, the concept car is RWD but that is not the actual drivetrain for the production version.

With all that tech and performance, it is no doubt that this car will be very quick (Nordschleife record).
I just hope it is also a drivers car.

(BTW, can someone shrink my photo attachments)

The following users liked this post:
SNB (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 12:41 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 515 Posts

You took way more photos of the car than I did

After our private presentation of the car at the museum, I pretty much ignored the display car in the PEC all 3 days haha.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:44 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
the force feeding of EV's and the abandonment of ALT-Fuels has been very disheartening. Especially here in CA where the real price of kw's regularly reaches into 0.40-0.50 while charging. I'd rather run a biodiesel supercar.

Too many LARPers are making policy decisions...great example is off shore wind. Total scam.

Whoopsy's point is great. I did the same thing in P1- drove it from Dallas to LA with zero regard for route.
I really need to pop by your place and kidnap you to go on a random road trip.................Maybe from Cali to Maine to eat lobsters and back..........
Old 06-19-2023, 03:03 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
the force feeding of EV's and the abandonment of ALT-Fuels has been very disheartening. Especially here in CA where the real price of kw's regularly reaches into 0.40-0.50 while charging. I'd rather run a biodiesel supercar.

Too many LARPers are making policy decisions...great example is off shore wind. Total scam.

Whoopsy's point is great. I did the same thing in P1- drove it from Dallas to LA with zero regard for route.
This. Commiefornia doing Commiefornia things!
Old 06-20-2023, 01:53 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very interesting that Porsche is not using Rimac battery technology. That would worry me a bit since it's hard to get new battery tech reliable. Why did VW / Porsche invest heavily in Rimac if they don't
take their advanced battery tech? Maybe Bugatti is the main beneficiary? I'll believe the Mission X performance numbers and weight targets when they actually get one running and testable.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:07 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by laranja
Very interesting that Porsche is not using Rimac battery technology. That would worry me a bit since it's hard to get new battery tech reliable. Why did VW / Porsche invest heavily in Rimac if they don't
take their advanced battery tech? Maybe Bugatti is the main beneficiary? I'll believe the Mission X performance numbers and weight targets when they actually get one running and testable.
Simple answer is that Porsche already started their own path for development before Rimac. And Rimac is still using using wet cells while Porsche is aiming for dry cell to get the performance up and weight down.

Remember, the Mission X is along the path of the 959 and 918, developing new stuff to trickle down to their future lineup, it's not a car just using current tech, that would be pointless.
Der-Schwabe (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 05:20 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Simple answer is that Porsche already started their own path for development before Rimac. And Rimac is still using using wet cells while Porsche is aiming for dry cell to get the performance up and weight down.

Remember, the Mission X is along the path of the 959 and 918, developing new stuff to trickle down to their future lineup, it's not a car just using current tech, that would be pointless.
Well I'll be impressed if Porsche can pull all of that together and I'm excited about the Mission X, so I hope they succeed.

I'm also impressed with how much Rimac has achieved in a short time. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by wet cells, but Rimac has a variety of battery technologies they use and I think it's mainly 2170 cells in the Battista.
They have liquid cooling of course. And their battery packages are shaped for weight balance and ideal location as well.
E.g. here: https://www.orovel.net/insights/the-...nevera-battery

If you haven't seen the following video - a couple of things are fascinating:
1. How much they are building themselves, and how fast they've grown
2. That Mate Rimac is a legit petrol-head. Impressive. He rates the CGT as the best sounding car in this video.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:11 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

All battery cells in all currently for sale EVs are considered wet cells.

Dry cells are the next generation battery that's still under development. They will be lighter for the same capacity and also more powerful and can handle more current, should also be able to do away with rare earth materials even.

And yes I do actually know quite a bit about Rimac, even met Mate before.

Last edited by Whoopsy; 06-20-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Der-Schwabe (06-21-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 09:18 PM
RingoDingo
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Please allow me to sum up this entire thread with one picture.
cgt04115 (06-24-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 10:40 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,055 Likes on 577 Posts

Ok guys here is my take having just seen the far in person

the color is not great. I'm very unsure why Porsche picked a brownish gray- it would look much better and more futuristic in a real concept car color like Polar Silver or amethyst.

the front of the car and the front wheel air exit are very strong design elements. it goes a bit unrealistic in the canopy glass, door glass area. The wrong glazing situation will be an issue for real use.

It has a lot of "vision Gran Turismo" inside as well. But the big question I had was how do they manage the aero claims. batteries don't offer a lot of aero advantage for tunnels so IMO unless they run active fans they cannot make the 2000+ lbs of downforce.

counterpoint- they don't need huge wings if they have fans. so- lower drag to make the same downforce as a GT3RS potentially.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,055 Likes on 577 Posts

proportionally, the car has a way lower nose than the 918. it had more of an LMP vibe on the front 1/3rd of the car. It's more P1 than 918 or SF90 in terms of the rear end- it's wide open and much more sculpted around the passenger cabin.

the rear could/ should have super tunnels but is not really skeletonized like the Valkyrie, it's more of a vertical chop downwards and 3D printed tail lights vs a knife edged wing/diffuser etc.

they have fake mesh that blocks off certain areas in the rear so you really cannot think they're near finished. if they execute on the 1:1 HP/KG it will be insane. with enough torque vectoring. it can make magic in the corners.

the interior is great, cool edgier shape and more futuristic. tons of interest. zero commitment on any price or allocation special sauce.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:24 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

The plan was not to use skateboard battery pack, but a brick block of batteries in place of the normal engine location, in order to create path for the Venturi tunnels.

Problem they faced right now is that a battery that fit into that location and at the weight they targeted for isn't using current battery technology isn't capable of producing the performance they aimed for.
Old 06-28-2023, 04:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

so how do I get allocation?
Old 06-28-2023, 04:46 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
And you are absolutely correct, the right tool for the right job. There isn't a one car that fits them all.

EV is a great thing for city driving. I always wanted a pickup truck but the gas mileage wasn't great.....until the Lightning appears. I am using it as my daily, and it doesn't even matter if the efficiency isn't great as it's a EV, which means it cost next to nothing to refill, efficiency for EV is meaningless, I ain't gonna use up the range in one day and if needed I can charge it back up overnight. Same reason why the perceived better range of a Tesla over other EVs is also meaningless. My Lightning is getting about the same against my buddy's Model 3 and my old Taycan 4S trumps them both, but that's just paper victory, charging up the car every 5 days instead of 4, big deal.....NOT!

I completely agree with all of this. I daily drive a Lightning as well. Almost never need to public charge. I think I've done it 3 times and once was a test run when I first got it. The convieniece of charging at home every day if need be, lack of maintence, power, smoothness, and tech drove me to it. First question I get when people notice it's an EV is "how much range do you get?" I always ask them why that matters because how often are you driving further than 300 miles at a clip. And even if you are, I have 2 young kids who probably aren't making it that far anyway without having to stop for food and bathrooms. That takes more time than most people realize. So I'd have plenty of time to charge enough to get me to my desitination, back home, or to the next charger. It just takes a little more planning.

I also love my 997.1 GT3 and will keep that no matter what we get forced into buying new in the future. Gonna be a long time before gas is unavailable. If ever. I'll worry about that then. Or be dead.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:05 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Zeus; 07-28-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Mission X