Sponsored by:

A question of color

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by P-seller
Would it be crazy to put list in his "used" car? are We crazy for not selling our new ones above list? Specially our last one? Did any of you guys with REAL deposits paying over list from a dealer? Ive seen some in auto week for over 650,000. What would you guys, do/expect?

Speaking as a dealer who has one of these cars coming, I can say that our customers will be paying full list, and not a penny more. We don't believe in charging more just because the car is rare and the potential buyers can afford it. First come, first served, no matter how much money is thrown at us.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:28 PM
P-seller
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did our first three like that, but as this fourth car remains unsold, and lets say its unsold when it arrives.....Used ones are trading above list, then why would any dealer leave that potential profit on the table? IF its unsold when it gets here, you can bet it will go for more than list.

How many off these things will Canada sell anyway? Plus they(canadian spec) arent legal in the US. The guys that have been waiting forever, depsoit holders, deserve to pay list. But Johnny-come-lately, who decides he wants one a year from now, should pay more. There's nothing wrong with that. It's not having "money thrown at us" Otherwise, whats the point of waiting three plus years WITH a deposit. IF youre gonna let anybody stroll in and buy one, for the same money as the faithfull, specially at the end?

Peace
PS

Anbody wanna answer the question though.....
Old 06-25-2004, 10:11 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

In California you pay the full sales tax, and get no credit on trade-in. It's an argument for leasing, because on a lease you only pay sales tax on the usage (e.g. monthly depreciation and interest)

With regards to Porsche dealers selling over sticker..what goes around comes around..they burned themselves on the GT2 this way and kiled the market for it. That behavior, encourages and entices smart buyers to wait.

The logic is as follows:

If someone is dumb (and fickle) enough to pay over sticker for a car, then they are dumb (and fickle) enough to sell it too cheap as well!

I think (and hope!) the dealers who try to mark the later cars up are going to get stuck, demand for this car doesn't seem to be real strong, the first examples of "free market" cars have only gone for something less than $100K over (hardly earth shattering). As more cars are available this premium will drop.

I am of the opinion that demand for this car is way over-estimated, and there's a catch 22. The less they build..the greater the demand would have been. With this car less is more, I thought they should have stopped at 1000

Recently, Porsche has pumped out too many cars and they appear hell bent on doing it with the C-GT as well, so buyer beware!
Old 06-26-2004, 12:53 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"MY dealer is concerned that the later cars might be worth a whole lot more than the early cars.....as the run nears its end."

While I would be thrilled if 06s were even bringing MSRP then, I highly doubt they'll be above MSRP. That said, your solution for your customer seems amazing (for him). I can't imagine being able to drive one for a couple years with no risk of depreciation only to trade it for a brand new one. IMO your customer is getting a hell of a deal and you guys are gonna get stuck losing some large dollars on his present car.

"Porsche has pumped out too many cars and they appear hell bent on doing it with the C-GT as well, so buyer beware!"

The interesting thing this time will be that there is only appx $20k in dealer profit per CGT. I bet dealers will have to end up being subsidized by Porsche to move the later CGTs.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:42 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Plus they(canadian spec) arent legal in the US.
Any idea what the differences are between USA/ROW and the Canadian spec CGT?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

How many off these things will Canada sell anyway? Plus they(canadian spec) arent legal in the US.
Canada should be getting around 20 cars. Initially, it was supposed to be 28, but then productin was scaled back from a total of 1500 worldwide to around 1200.

As far as I know, Canadian and US cars are virtually identical. Instrument clusters and the addition of daytime running lights have traditionally been the only differences between Canadian and American Porsches.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:46 PM
P-seller
User

That, and of course imported Canadian cars will carrry no warranty.....at least in the US anyway.

Difference Engine......Didnt mean to sound "snippy" But your "not a penny more....." message sounded to me like an advertisement for a charity or something. Weve sold all of our cars at list so far, and everyone else Ive talked to has done the same thing. Thats the way to do business for sure, and the whole point of deposits. But , as a employee of a dealership, Plus I own my own business on the side(restaurant) Ive learned that market value, and profit, arent dirty words. If it wasnt for "profits" being generated in business, We would sell a whole lot less cars.

Why should a guy who hasnt been waiting at all, with no desposit or other form of committment, be permited to pay the same as some who has been waiting a long time? It's not having "money thrown at you" theres nothing *****-ey about it. Its simple supply and demand. I guess in Canada,it prolly isnt an issue.

And maybe Im just a dumb shmoe from the internet, but If our last car reamins unsold when it arrives, or even gets close to arriving,I will have absolutely no qualms about selling for above list. Like I said earlier, Its the only fair thing to do.

Peace
PS
Old 06-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

That, and of course imported Canadian cars will carrry no warranty.....at least in the US anyway.

Difference Engine......Didnt mean to sound "snippy" But your "not a penny more....." message sounded to me like an advertisement for a charity or something. Weve sold all of our cars at list so far, and everyone else Ive talked to has done the same thing. Thats the way to do business for sure, and the whole point of deposits. But , as a employee of a dealership, Plus I own my own business on the side(restaurant) Ive learned that market value, and profit, arent dirty words. If it wasnt for "profits" being generated in business, We would sell a whole lot less cars.

Why should a guy who hasnt been waiting at all, with no desposit or other form of committment, be permited to pay the same as some who has been waiting a long time? It's not having "money thrown at you" theres nothing *****-ey about it. Its simple supply and demand. I guess in Canada,it prolly isnt an issue.

And maybe Im just a dumb shmoe from the internet, but If our last car reamins unsold when it arrives, or even gets close to arriving,I will have absolutely no qualms about selling for above list. Like I said earlier, Its the only fair thing to do.

Peace
PS
The Canadian warranty is valid in all of North America, just as the US warranty is valid up here in Canada. As long as the cars stay on this continent, the warranty is valid. Take it to Asia or Europe or whatever, and your warranty stays behind.

You didn't seem snippy. No worries there. I suppose it's different for every dealership. For us, we have yet to charge more for any of these special or hard to get cars. We were allocated one GT3 last year, and one GT3 this year. No discounts because we did have a list of people willing to cut the check, but conversly, we didn't mark it up either. For us, the first name on the list gets first crack at the car. It was the same with the Carrera GT. First guy witha deposit gets first dibs on the car, whether he was an existing customer or not. As it turns out, our existing customers always know about special cars before anyone else.

We're only getting the one car at this dealership.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

You may have read this already, but, regarding "a question of color", click here.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:14 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

That's the study I was talking about. Interesting!

See Ben, you picked the right and best looking (IMHO) color!

BTW, I think the CGT would look great in any color.

Quick Reply: A question of color