Sponsored by:

New CGT Owner - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 10:37 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New CGT Owner - Need Help!

My (new to me) CGT arrived yesterday. I read as many posts as I could and yet I still stalled twice at stoplights yesterday on my first drive out. Every stoplight, especially those on an incline of any sort, stressed the hell out of me. After filling up with gas I went back to my car garage parking lot and just practiced starting from a standstill over and over and over. I understand - don't touch gas until the clutch is completely let out and the car is moving forward. Yes, very much a mental issue of going against every other manual I have owned. Even on a hill which really is a hard habit to break.

Here are my questions:

1. I feel like starting from a stop at a light, stop sign, etc is just so slow with this approach. Is that what I need to set as my expectations? That I need to always slowly let out the clutch for that last bit (once it starts to engage)? I just want to find a way to get it where I was in my other manuals (such as my 991.2 speedster) where I can be relatively quick off the line - I am not talking about burning out - just not so darn slow.
2. I read a great post on these forums about starting on any type of a hill/slope - still don't touch the gas until clutch fully released - and just use the handbrake. Is that correct? No gas ever before clutch is fully released?
3. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to practice to get good? I really just want to get to a place where I can drive the car and not panic at every light, hill, etc. I know it has only been one day, but I don't typically want my driving sessions to be stressful :-). Otherwise I'll just sell the car which is a shame. In some way it is kind of fun that this car isn't easy to drive right out of the box. So long as eventually it becomes second nature :-). I also wonde if I do get the hang of it if I need to sell my other manuals so I don't constantly battle two completely different approaches :-).
4. On TPMS/Tire Pressure - my car has a brand new set of the Cup2 tires. The manual says 32 PSI, but the TPMS warning lights were on telling me to add pressure until I got them up to 36/37. Trying to figure out what is up. Should I keep them at 36/37 or is there a setting that is causing this to be different from what the owner's manual suggested?

Thank you in advance for your help!

The following 2 users liked this post by Kansas911:
Garydose (03-30-2021), wdr911 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 11:40 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

You're going through what almost every CGT driver has gone through and the best thing you can do, which is yes, a pain...get more time driving the car and learn to trust that little engagement and inch forward point. You will NOT be leaving any light quickly, and the best think I can tell you to do is just breathe normally and let things take their time. ONE way to alleviate this pressure a bit is to have a friend follow you in another car and give you PLENTY of space behind you at a stop so you're not worried about the car rolling back a bit before the clutch grabs.

As far as hills, you can actually do the hill hold with your right foot lightly on the actual brake, given the handbrake is a bit of a bitch to use like that...works fine and you'll feel the car want to move forward and you just let it get that bit of bite and then you'll be able to get on the gas post letting clutch up. But overall, you'll need to drive the car for a few weeks to get comfy, and then when you do it's basically magic haha.
The following 3 users liked this post by sechsgang:
CRex (03-06-2021), Napoli (03-05-2021), richk (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
You're going through what almost every CGT driver has gone through and the best thing you can do, which is yes, a pain...get more time driving the car and learn to trust that little engagement and inch forward point. You will NOT be leaving any light quickly, and the best think I can tell you to do is just breathe normally and let things take their time. ONE way to alleviate this pressure a bit is to have a friend follow you in another car and give you PLENTY of space behind you at a stop so you're not worried about the car rolling back a bit before the clutch grabs.

As far as hills, you can actually do the hill hold with your right foot lightly on the actual brake, given the handbrake is a bit of a bitch to use like that...works fine and you'll feel the car want to move forward and you just let it get that bit of bite and then you'll be able to get on the gas post letting clutch up. But overall, you'll need to drive the car for a few weeks to get comfy, and then when you do it's basically magic haha.
Thank you. I figured you would say that :-). I will give it more time. I am not very patient :-)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:59 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

^^ Well said. Remember, the brake pedal is your friend on inclines.
The following users liked this post:
jimmyrepasi (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:02 PM
bp95gsx
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

It will all become second nature in due time. I don't think a CGT owner exists where the CGT is his only manual car. So after a while your brain will adjust quicker than it is now when going from your "normal" clutch cars to your CGT. And congrats on joining the club!!
Old 03-01-2021, 02:52 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Did either of you see my note about TPMS? Book said 32psi but TPMS program warned me until I had them at 36/37. Seemed strange.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:53 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

As others have said, just use the regular brake to hold the car until the clutch starts to bite. No need for handbrake. Using this method you can pretty much eliminate any rolling backwards vs. other manual cars where it's hard to avoid.

The best thing to do as far as concerns about the slow take-off speed is to plan accordingly when you're rolling up to a light. Give yourself a little room in front to start the clutch engagement process and get a slow roll going prior to your light going green.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:42 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas911
Did either of you see my note about TPMS? Book said 32psi but TPMS program warned me until I had them at 36/37. Seemed strange.
Go with the book recommended 32 psi using a manual tire pressure gauge. I know batteries need to be replaced in TPMS every five years or so. Possibly you need to have the system checked out, but always go with what the book recommends and use your own gauge, especially if the system is telling you to go up to 36/37. When my tires are at 30 I have no warning light..
jimmyrepasi (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 11:58 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 56 Posts

Nothing more to add beyond what has already been said except just drive drive drive. I remember when I got a manual gearbox car in high school; my parents didn’t know how to drive it and I just had to self-learn. It sucked, I embarrassed myself around town and in front of girls etc. But within two weeks it was as if I had been driving a manual my whole life. Practice Practice Practice.
jimmyrepasi (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:10 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

KS911, first of all, I’m glad to see a KS guy on RL. I grew up in KCK (not KS’ finest but KS nonetheless). Second, it’s just miles. Here’s when you know you have officially learned the proper muscle memory to rip around a CGT w/out sweating at stop lights or even giving a single thought to the dreaded clutch: when you get into one of your other manuals and just let out the clutch w/no throttle and are dumb-founded when it just dies (and you do it MULTIPLE times on a drive).

outside of the brake trick on hills (foot brake; not hand brake, imo), really it just comes down to teaching the brain and foot to feel what’s going on and then you will never even think about it again. That being said, I’ve owned my fair share of cars, so getting comfortable in something new usually comes pretty quickly for me. It took me a LONG time and a LOT of seat time in CGT before it really just felt like an extension of me when behind the wheel.

Lastly, you just can’t compare a modern clutch/manual like the 991 to anything meaningfully older; the new manuals are barely manuals imo. U have to really try hard to kill a 991; they almost shift themselves. There’s almost no combination of throttle/clutch that doesn’t work to get off the line. That being said, there’s not really much clutch feel (or any feel for that matter). 991’s are amazing cars with insane performance AND super easy to drive around town; just lacking some feel. CGT is polar opposite: GOBS of feel and complete PITA around town. But that’s usually how it goes.

good luck; just DRIVE the **** out of it and the clutch will become like second nature. And u will come back on here and laugh about the time you got in your other manual and just let out the clutch wondering why it’s not pulling fwd
The following 4 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
CRex (03-06-2021), E-Man (03-03-2021), jimmyrepasi (03-03-2021), raclaims (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:33 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

I own mine for 7 years and still stall once in a while. Hardest thing is to drive the CGT and my 930 back to back. 2 completely different clutches. Really messes with your brain.
The following 2 users liked this post by CGT000:
E-Man (03-03-2021), jimmyrepasi (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:39 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts

I still struggle to see how I’m going to destroy my clutch if I simply drive the car like a regular manual transmission car, feather the clutch and override the antistall feature.

Don’t want to be the guinea pig but it seems logical to me. I don’t see how it can cause any more wear to the clutch plates than what is being done by the antistall feature.

And I’ve seen videos of CGT’s launching and burning out so I know it technically can be done.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:43 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
KS911, first of all, I’m glad to see a KS guy on RL. I grew up in KCK (not KS’ finest but KS nonetheless). Second, it’s just miles. Here’s when you know you have officially learned the proper muscle memory to rip around a CGT w/out sweating at stop lights or even giving a single thought to the dreaded clutch: when you get into one of your other manuals and just let out the clutch w/no throttle and are dumb-founded when it just dies (and you do it MULTIPLE times on a drive).

outside of the brake trick on hills (foot brake; not hand brake, imo), really it just comes down to teaching the brain and foot to feel what’s going on and then you will never even think about it again. That being said, I’ve owned my fair share of cars, so getting comfortable in something new usually comes pretty quickly for me. It took me a LONG time and a LOT of seat time in CGT before it really just felt like an extension of me when behind the wheel.

Lastly, you just can’t compare a modern clutch/manual like the 991 to anything meaningfully older; the new manuals are barely manuals imo. U have to really try hard to kill a 991; they almost shift themselves. There’s almost no combination of throttle/clutch that doesn’t work to get off the line. That being said, there’s not really much clutch feel (or any feel for that matter). 991’s are amazing cars with insane performance AND super easy to drive around town; just lacking some feel. CGT is polar opposite: GOBS of feel and complete PITA around town. But that’s usually how it goes.

good luck; just DRIVE the **** out of it and the clutch will become like second nature. And u will come back on here and laugh about the time you got in your other manual and just let out the clutch wondering why it’s not pulling fwd
Thanks! Yeah - practice does make perfect. And it also gets me wondering whether I'll sell the Speedster so that my muscle memory only has to remember one type of manual. But I love the Speedster too much. I agree it is very easy - but it still feels involved compared to my PDK Porsches.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by localmotion411
I still struggle to see how I’m going to destroy my clutch if I simply drive the car like a regular manual transmission car, feather the clutch and override the antistall feature.

Don’t want to be the guinea pig but it seems logical to me. I don’t see how it can cause any more wear to the clutch plates than what is being done by the antistall feature.

And I’ve seen videos of CGT’s launching and burning out so I know it technically can be done.
I didn't think this would work - I felt like if I add gas before the clutch is full disengaged it stalls. I mean, I don't want to have to replace that carbon clutch but I didn't even think this was an option. Really, I'm starting to get better - it is just trusting it on a hill that is going to be tough...
Old 03-03-2021, 01:33 AM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by localmotion411

Originally Posted by Kansas911
I didn't think this would work - I felt like if I add gas before the clutch is full disengaged it stalls. I mean, I don't want to have to replace that carbon clutch but I didn't even think this was an option. Really, I'm starting to get better - it is just trusting it on a hill that is going to be tough...
I claim no responsibility for what happens.

Turn TC off and dump the clutch

Please report back with results.

I claim no responsibility for what happens.

Logically I hear and agree with you, but this feature was "retrofitted" in a matter of speaking for a reason so...YMMV.

Quick Reply: New CGT Owner - Need Help!