Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone with a CGT replaced..

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 05:48 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Has anyone with a CGT replaced..

their shocks? If so, did you notice an improvement in handing? I have never observed any leakage with mine but I'm wondering if replacing them changes the handling of the car at all?

Curious to hear from those that have newer shocks.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

first car 22xx miles, no shock leak, drove funny, like rear shock was not working at all. after 5-600 miles, it felt different and all is well

second car 3xx miles, no shock leak. drove fine no issue

third car 4xxx miles, visual leak seen on shocks, feel like no damping. replaced with 4x oem shocks ($$$ 10k or so, not my car). drove tight and like all other CGT I drove.
The following users liked this post:
jimmyrepasi (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 09:45 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Man
their shocks? If so, did you notice an improvement in handing? I have never observed any leakage with mine but I'm wondering if replacing them changes the handling of the car at all?

Curious to hear from those that have newer shocks.
When there was a shortage or owners didn't want to spend 10k on shocks a few owners did change but with values today ...
If you can't hear a broken shock in front with a carbon cabin it's not broken and back is easy to check on the other hand I wonder if Porsche rebuilds the old ones if not someone else it's a part that should be able to be rebuilt.
Upgrading

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/12/...he-carrera-gt/

Last edited by nuvolari612; 08-20-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:00 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
first car 22xx miles, no shock leak, drove funny, like rear shock was not working at all. after 5-600 miles, it felt different and all is well

second car 3xx miles, no shock leak. drove fine no issue

third car 4xxx miles, visual leak seen on shocks, feel like no damping. replaced with 4x oem shocks ($$$ 10k or so, not my car). drove tight and like all other CGT I drove.
Good to know, thank you.
As far as OEM shocks go, if replacing them with what Porsche has in their parts department, wouldn't you think they have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 10 plus years? So you'd be buying 'new' old shocks. I highly doubt they've been making new stock.

U only have 2 CGT's now??
Live a little will ya!!
Old 08-21-2020, 04:08 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ LMAO maybe I need FGT like you.
good point, I don't know how old the "new" shocks were.
local dealer had to obtain them from Porsche AG, Germany
Old 08-21-2020, 04:03 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

I always assumed it’s when, not if they get replaced. I also always assumed I’d do one of the “non-oem” solutions by the time I get there, because OEM route seems to be buying the same inherent problems all over again? I was concerned about shocks/ride when I first got it. Now that I’ve piled a lot of miles on the car, it seems to be driving better and/or I’ve gotten used to it driving poorly
Old 08-21-2020, 04:23 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts

What are the non-OEM solutions for replacing the shocks? I haven’t seen any aftermarket options.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I’d let someone more of an expert than me comment on the after market solutions. I didn’t dig too deeply but a couple people that have ton experience with CGT mentioned some options at the time I was considering it. There’s always “controversy” about non-oem and I’m typically an oem-kinda-guy. But the when-not-if leaking problem with CGT shocks is one I’d definitely explore after-mkt solution. If I ever replaced rotors, I’d likely do surface transforms after-mkt solution as an example. I mean, the brakes on cgt were INCREDIBLE in 2004. Today, they are OVERPRICED dated technology. My gut tells me so are the shocks. I get it: the whole car is overpriced, dated technology. But I’m not talking about replacing the v10!

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 08-21-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:43 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I’d let someone more of an expert than me comment on the after market solutions. I didn’t dig too deeply but a couple people that have ton experience with CGT mentioned some options at the time I was considering it. There’s always “controversy” about non-oem and I’m typically an oem-kinda-guy. But the when-not-if leaking problem with CGT shocks is one I’d definitely explore after-mkt solution. If I ever replaced rotors, I’d likely do surface transforms after-mkt solution as an example. I mean, the brakes on cgt were INCREDIBLE in 2004. Today, they are OVERPRICED dated technology. My gut tells me so are the shocks. I get it: the whole car is overpriced, dated technology. But I’m not talking about replacing the v10!
Yeah I have a hard time worrying about resale if the thing I’m replacing will be far better with newer technology.

I feel the same about the turbos in my 993TT. I replaced those with K16/16G’s and the car is SO much better. I could give a crap that they aren’t original to the car.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:50 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by localmotion411
Yeah I have a hard time worrying about resale if the thing I’m replacing will be far better with newer technology.

I feel the same about the turbos in my 993TT. I replaced those with K16/16G’s and the car is SO much better. I could give a crap that they aren’t original to the car.
I need to hear more about this K16/16G's. I've never thought about upgrading my 993 TT but now you have me thinking..
Old 08-22-2020, 12:56 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by localmotion411
What are the non-OEM solutions for replacing the shocks? I haven’t seen any aftermarket options.
Ohlin
Old 08-22-2020, 04:46 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 364 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Ohlin
Yep Ohlin TTX kit is an option.

Also Manthey do a KW kit with front/ rear lift options.

And Intrax a Dutch company also offer a kit (very good quality dampers).

I’ve a spare set of my originals that leak that I’ve had refurbed, Porsche GB will not repair them or have them repaired if they leak.

I’m due to drive a KW GT this year good modern adjustable dampers will unlocks a lot more potential for the car on the street and track.
The following users liked this post:
911Vintage (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 01:53 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Yep Ohlin TTX kit is an option.

Also Manthey do a KW kit with front/ rear lift options.

And Intrax a Dutch company also offer a kit (very good quality dampers).

I’ve a spare set of my originals that leak that I’ve had refurbed, Porsche GB will not repair them or have them repaired if they leak.

I’m due to drive a KW GT this year good modern adjustable dampers will unlocks a lot more potential for the car on the street and track.

Im super curious to hear how the KW car drives...I'm debating this with the lifters, or just doing the lifters on the OEM suspension...
Old 08-22-2020, 04:30 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

10k for those sachs? Who does that? Especially in the US, you have hundreds of rally, nascar, trial, that fake f1 races, not to talk about all teams that race Porsches and the bike scene, just find one of them and ask them where they rebuild their shocks and voilá, 1000k with the carrera gt premium included does the job and as what it happens in a lot of shops, they might even upgrade the internals to better bits and bobs.

For 10k-15k you can have a damper set built/developed especially for you.

On the KW, they drive them as you setup them, spring rates are similar, damper will do what you setup. If it was me, I would buy from Manthey, (same price) and just ask them to do the damper settings for nurburgring and an geo alignment setup for your tech to implement (toe is the biggest one, caster as well to get that dynamic camber, idk if manthey plays with it or not). 311rs guys might be of great help on the manthey/kw bits.

Ohlins from PSI, if one does not want a lift might be the only reasonable choice after rebuild. If lift is as important as proper handling, I would give Motion Control Suspension a call on how would a set with the kw lift kit integrated be.

Edit: If gone wild, might as well go with titanium springs, they just provide that little extra silky response from the damper and make everything that little bit more responsive to inputs.

Last edited by RennOracle; 08-22-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^^yeah, my gut tells me the same

Quick Reply: Has anyone with a CGT replaced..