Cararra GT sound vs Enzo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:26 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cararra GT sound vs Enzo

Does anyone have any Enzo sound files.
I heard one a while back and I don't remember it sounding anywhere near as hot as the GT.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:03 PM
yongster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to www.evo.co.uk and click on ferrari test video footage.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:59 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I'll post some when I get a spare minute to go through my Enzo clips... it sounds more amazing than anything else out there IMO.. though the C-GT seems to be Ferrari's first close rivalry to their signature sound.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Christian K
Racer

As Jeremy Clarkson said/wrote (from my mind): the CGT engine does not sound like an F1 engine, it sounds exactly like an F1 engine.

cheers
Old 04-07-2004, 11:35 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Clarkson is good, but Tiff Needel is better "...what it does do fantastically well is what Ferrari are fantastic at; it gpes around racing circuits very, very quickly, indeed!"

That's what he said in his first drive (around Fiorano) of the Enzo Ferrari. I have the file am trying to get it hosted online for everyone to enjoy (sorry, I forgot) along with a video of the original "F60" spy video and another short sprint on a track straight. Hopefully I'll have them up later tonight!

[EDIT:] I've just reviewed my Enzo videos as well as my CGT stash... at this point I honestly don't care which car is quicker (ok, I'm lying, I actually do, lol... will SOMEBODY test them??) and don't know which car sounds better. They both look absolutely astonishing on the racetrack (look at the Enzo's braking ability and chassis stiffness!! JEESH!), sound like a pure translation of sex onto wheels, and have the looks to match!

Is this saying I'm partial to the CGT now simply because I'm a Porsche owner? Nope. Am I partial to the Enzo because I'm a longtime Ferrari F1 fan? Not really... they both have equal statures in my mind, and I would feel privaledged to ride in either.

Last edited by FSAEracer03; 04-07-2004 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This after noon, I saw a Carrera GT on the road for the first time ... tootling down Woodside Rd to 280 ... the driver accelerated from a standstill to merge in front of me in the town and made almost no noise. Disappointing. Then the car ran briskly up the ramp and onto 280 southbound and was inaudible above relatively quiet ambient noise as I stopped with my windows down trying to hear it. Double disappointed.

A Ferrari owner acquiantance drove an Enzo on the track and reported the noise to be the worst of any Ferrari he's ever heard or driven (and he's got a few decades under his belt with numerous examples of the Prancing Horse) ranging from a lumping "Chevy" V8 blub-blub to a course grinding racket to a thin, flat-chested whine that sounded like a Japanese straight four with a drinking-straw exhaust. Oh dear.

I've listened to some great video of people doing factory training on the Carrera GT (posted here, I believe) and read numerous reports that it sounds just like a current F1 car, but on the street, driven calmly, it's almost silent.

And I know I'm risking hell for posting this, but it's unremarkable to the point of being bland when you see it on the road. I think the lines are too civilised and the proportions hide it's width -- it's basically a small-looking car while the Enzo, which I've seen on the street, looks like it's almost too wide for the lane and too low to be real and too red to ignore.

I'm looking forward to the first time I share the track with a Carrera GT, hearing that engine and seeing it perform.

Cheers,
Old 04-08-2004, 12:47 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"I've listened to some great video of people doing factory training on the Carrera GT (posted here, I believe) and read numerous reports that it sounds just like a current F1 car, but on the street, driven calmly, it's almost silent."

it doesn't take too much to start up the symphony:

W8MM
Pro

Reged: Aug 08 2003
Loc: Cincinnati, OH, USA Cool Carrera GT Exhaust System Feature
#28546 - Wed Apr 07 2004 04:52 PM Attachment (2 downloads) Edit Reply Quote

"I had the opportunity to visit the Atlanta service training center for Porsche Cars North America last week. I was there to "try on" the wide option seats fitted to the service training CGT in thier classroom/shop.

I took a few pictures of the car in its dissassembled glory during a very interesting tour of the Carrera GT's finer internal points given by the PCNA training staff.

The picture below shows two vacuum motors on the exhaust system. Here is how Porsche's "Carrera GT Service Information 2004 Technik Introduction" book (which somehow fell into my possesion) describes their use:

"Within the final muffler box their is a additional flap-type muffler. This flap mechanism is controlled by two vacuum motors which are installed outside the box. The flap mechanism is used to reduce back pressure and associated increased demand for power from the engine. The control is performed under a mapped reference in the Motronic, via electro-pneumatic changeover valves.

The exhaust gas flaps are opened from second gear to sixth gear at speeds in excess of 43 mph (70 km/h), and in gears 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at engine speeds in excess of approx. 2,800 rpm, if the air mass flow exceeds a certain threshold. For each gear there is a specific performance curve for flap control stored in the Motronic control unit.

To check that this flap is functioning correctly there is an external pressure sensor installed on the final muffler. The external pressure sensor is located near the catch for the engine lid. The connection to the pressure measurement port is made with a flexible steel lead with Teflon core. The pressure in the exhaust system is sensed upstream of the main catalytic converter."

Way cool in geek-ville "
Old 04-08-2004, 02:49 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Here they are
http://server.brendanmac.com/~kreaga...ZO_FERRARI.AVI (59 megs... but it's the best for those who can download it!)
http://server.brendanmac.com/~kreagan/New enzo ferrari.WMV
http://server.brendanmac.com/~kreagan/Ferrari Enzo at Test Track.wmv

Enjoy

Quick Reply: Cararra GT sound vs Enzo