Sponsored by:

KW Lifter Suspension... Tryin' but NO

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 09:57 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts
Default KW Lifter Suspension... Tryin' but NO

Being in Hong Kong where underground garages are an inevitable fact of life, I've been looking for solutions to make the CGT more usable. By usable all I want is to not scrape the front splitter, or to beach the CF underfloor going over my community entrance. Oh the things we take for granted...

I started looking into the KW lifter kit for the 980. I knew it was a somewhat intrusive mod to begin with, but harbored hopes that it might be installed in a reversible manner. This is the installation PDF. Oh my word...

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/extras...Q/39771027.pdf

There's absolutely no way for this to be a reversible job. Screws+rivets going into drilled holes, CAN tap and power+hydraulic lines running all over the car... it's a freaking NIGHTMARE...

Guess if I'm lucky enough to find a high-miler fixer-upper like the salvage title car out of UK earlier this year, this could be an option. Anything more, it's a tough proposition.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:34 AM
AS
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how are you driving a LHD car around in HK?
Old 07-25-2020, 05:58 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Clutch, brake, gas and steering, just like every other car?
The following 4 users liked this post by CRex:
911Vintage (07-28-2020), Captain_ (02-04-2021), Jason Zhang (08-05-2023), Sterling Sackey (07-28-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 06:59 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 102 Posts

Have you considered the OEM 10mm lift kit for the CGT? Porsche claims it does not affect driving dynamics for normal driving, but others have stated that the kit does affect handling.

It has worked well for me, that 10mm making a noticeable difference in usability under my circumstances, particularly for underground garages and sloped entrances.

And, completely OEM and reversible. So I still have all the original standard parts.

The following users liked this post:
CRex (07-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:10 AM
AS
Advanced

Originally Posted by CRex
Clutch, brake, gas and steering, just like every other car?
HK's RHD.
They didn't make any RHD CGTs...
Old 07-25-2020, 06:25 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 186 Posts

A long time ago, there was a guy who brought his cgt into the Ruf (then) Dallas location for a nose lift kit install. A tech from Ruf Germany flew to Dallas to do the installation. I don't recall how instrusive or permanent the kit was but you might try contacting Ruf.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:56 PM
schein609
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had the KW Suspension installed. It's a game changer. Install is not easy, however I believe only one hole had to be drilled to route wires. But not having to stress about clearance means I am driving it a ton more. Car also drives a good deal better than stock, very compliant and a lot less nervous. It's a blast through the canyons now. LA Workshop 5001 did a great job on the install for me, was their second kit they've done.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNbgjnQ
The following 3 users liked this post by schein609:
CRex (07-26-2020), heshalosny (02-07-2021), MirageJHU (07-25-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by AS
HK's RHD.
They didn't make any RHD CGTs...
u can drive cars with steering wheel on left or on right in HK, just drive it on the left side of road
paddlefoot64 (02-04-2021)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:46 AM
AS
Advanced

HK only allows LHD car registrations under special circumstances (eg. China-HK dual-plate cars, diplomatic cars, etc.):
https://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums...wed%20in%20HK.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:35 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AS
HK only allows LHD car registrations under special circumstances (eg. China-HK dual-plate cars, diplomatic cars, etc.):
https://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums...wed%20in%20HK.
Internet experts... I guess you just haven't seen the F40s, F50s, McL F1s, 959s on the roads here. At one point even GT1s roamed the hills.
paddlefoot64 (02-04-2021)
Old 07-26-2020, 11:40 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlos993
Have you considered the OEM 10mm lift kit for the CGT?
Many thanks. That may ultimately be the way to go. At least I'll get to use the car more often...

Originally Posted by schein609
I just had the KW Suspension installed. It's a game changer. Install is not easy, however I believe only one hole had to be drilled to route wires. But not having to stress about clearance means I am driving it a ton more. Car also drives a good deal better than stock, very compliant and a lot less nervous. It's a blast through the canyons now. LA Workshop 5001 did a great job on the install for me, was their second kit they've done.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNbgjnQ
Wow thanks for the album!! You got a point there--at nearly 20 years old most of our OEM dampers are possibly out of tune... there's likely performance benefit from a refresh, let alone the new K&W kit...
Old 07-27-2020, 12:19 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

interested in more feedback from these systems or any others anyone's installed on theirs...
nuvolari612 (07-29-2020)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:15 AM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Being in Hong Kong where underground garages are an inevitable fact of life, I've been looking for solutions to make the CGT more usable. By usable all I want is to not scrape the front splitter, or to beach the CF underfloor going over my community entrance. Oh the things we take for granted...

I started looking into the KW lifter kit for the 980. I knew it was a somewhat intrusive mod to begin with, but harbored hopes that it might be installed in a reversible manner. This is the installation PDF. Oh my word...

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/extras...Q/39771027.pdf

There's absolutely no way for this to be a reversible job. Screws+rivets going into drilled holes, CAN tap and power+hydraulic lines running all over the car... it's a freaking NIGHTMARE...

Guess if I'm lucky enough to find a high-miler fixer-upper like the salvage title car out of UK earlier this year, this could be an option. Anything more, it's a tough proposition.
Interesting instruction:-)
Non reversibel actions on these sort of cars are to put it frankly, non desirable. Guess the only car that has the system would be the one on the pictures in the manual. I wonder what KW was thinking of designing this system? Always when I read KW instructions I get that non German engineering feeling.
I had a similar problem getting a set of TTX and needing the OME lift function more than ever due to both ride height and different rake I wanted to use. So I built one lifting the nose by 70mm and working perfectly well with OEM infrastructure concerning electronics/pneumatics and I even used the OME hose feeding the OEM Bilstein shock routed up instead of down.
And all my modifications I've done so far are completely reversible.

Last edited by Captain_; 02-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Captain_:
CRex (02-05-2021), heshalosny (02-07-2021), paddlefoot64 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 05:23 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

I think you're doing this the right way. Hats off to you for sharing!

It's unfortunate but I'm getting the feeling that the design of a usable FAL lift system will probably be very owner-driven, with sympathy of how most of us would want a solution no more permanent than the equivalent of a slip-on exhaust.

Very keen to follow your project esp. how you plan to take care of the electronics aspect!
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 05:55 AM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I think you're doing this the right way. Hats off to you for sharing!

It's unfortunate but I'm getting the feeling that the design of a usable FAL lift system will probably be very owner-driven, with sympathy of how most of us would want a solution no more permanent than the equivalent of a slip-on exhaust.

Very keen to follow your project esp. how you plan to take care of the electronics aspect!
Thanks. I have already run the system for a season and it just works perfekt. Before i started the project I asked Porsche what pressures they where running in their system and how the electronic logistics are designed. So all OEM functions are are exact the same. The person I talked to called this a "non crucial system" Theres a way to let it self adjust to the new higher and lower lift positions. Then I designed my system to run on same pressures. The upside difference beside it lifts higher is also that it lifts faster. Downsides is that it lowers slower due to my cylinders have bigger air volume than OEM that the system evacuates through a bit to small control valves. Have some more pictures on B-R
Then I also think it lifts a bit to much because it comes close to the TTXs upper bump stops, so I have to drive slowly get up and down on ferries. At re-design I would create cylinders that lift less distance with smaller diameter holing less air and giving room for wider section front tires.

Last edited by Captain_; 02-05-2021 at 06:16 AM.
heshalosny (02-07-2021)

Quick Reply: KW Lifter Suspension... Tryin' but NO