Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 01:09 PM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ncoburn
Jimmy - you are in a unique position of having wrenched a really high number of CGTs. What do you see as "typical" for the cars that come through your shop?
Hey Nick, this rev report does show more over revs than the average car that I see but it also has 3x the amount of operating hours and possibly miles. Looking at this rev report I would be less focused on the upper range over revs that happened over 5 hours ago and more focused on the 35K in the lower range. This is far more telling of how the car was driven on a day to day basis. Mechanically I would not be concerned about the condition of the engine but this is far from a collectors example. Would be a great car for someone looking to continue to put hard miles on, these engines are designed for it.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyft
I thought the rev limiter cut in at 8,400 revs? If that is the case how can an over-rev be as a result of a "blip" to show off the engine?
As far as I can tell it can only be the result of selecting the wrong gear, causing the engine to over-rev.
I'm also not convinced that 5 hours of running is sufficient to determine that no serious damage has occurred. I'd feel more comfortable if it was 50 hours ago!
That's correct, an overrev of that level cannot occur from throttle blipping. It would be a mechanical overrev, i.e. downshifting and letting the clutch out at too high of a road speed for the gear.

Quick Reply: Over rev report CGT