Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the "market Value" of a carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:22 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WCH, your quite right if you buy the car with the thought of possibly selling it in the near term it is a waste of time and money. I never look at my cars as investments since I have never made a profit on a car. Well I take that back I bought a Shelby mustang convert for 2500 in 1975 and sold it for 8500 a few years later to some poor sucker who now has a car worth 75,000. I sure showed him... But aside from that never made a cent. I think my concern is what if unforeseen circumstances somehow force me to sell in the near term. I live in Vegas and after 9/11 my restaurants took a big hit like all business in Vegas did. I assume every car I buy will depreciate. But this car has the potential to really tank. And I have never bought a car with the intention or thought of selling it. Every car I have I intend to keep. But this HP and performance war we are in is unprecedented, cars become obsolete almost over night, like computers. If I had Mikes confidence that I wouldn't be lusting after something else in the near future this would be a no brainer. But for 446,000 I still wonder whether the car is that far above it's competition?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:44 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

"I assume every car I buy will depreciate. But this car has the potential to really tank. And I have never bought a car with the intention or thought of selling it. Every car I have I intend to keep. But this HP and performance war we are in is unprecedented, cars become obsolete almost over night, like computers. If I had Mikes confidence that I wouldn't be lusting after something else in the near future this would be a no brainer."

Great point. When a car falls off the depreciation cliff, I feel "stuck" with it, somehow obligated to keep it perhaps longer than I want so I get my money's worth. And I definitely like to change cars periodically. I intend to trade my 575 fro the 575 successor, whenever it appears - but I'd be very reluctant to trade it for anything now, given what I presume to be the car's depreciation.

I'm a bit worried, in guessing long term value, by the relatively large production numbers for some of the new exotics, the Carrera GT, the Ford GT, Gallardo ....

And, on the other hand, small production numbers alone don't protect you.

I've always been a little baffled by continued high valuations of the Porsche RS America - having bought one new in '93. Seemed like they had trouble giving some of them away back in '93. I've decided that I pick collectible cars about as well as I pick stocks.

Anyway, I think the Carrera GT is a work of art.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:03 PM
P-seller
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are amazing. Lots of good stuff here. I never really thought about depreciation. Would expext it to be a problem. You guys think thats an issue? I always thought depricaiton was based on what the cars were selling for new, and the availability of the new cars.

I too think the CGT is a "work of art" I thinks its destined to become a classic. If I ever bought one, my intention would be to keep it forever, so for me also, depriciation wouldnt be a factor in buying one.

The ford GT looks nice, But you know, it's still a Ford. (not an insult) It is no Porsche. It takes more than looks and a retro theme, and lotsa cubic inches, to become truly great. The CGT and Ford GT should be playing to diffrent audiences. Nascar VS Lemans. 150grand vs 450grand. Ford vs Porsche.

There is no doubt that the CGT sets new standards in the exotic/supercar arena, and clearly indicates where Porsche is headed in the 21 century. Not to mention, you can use this car day in and day out if you wish.

Leading edge technology. Space age construction/revolutionary processes. Beautiful to look at..., Limited number, blistering performance, full factory warranty like a buick. Everyday driveability........

Im not really sure that there is a "true" competitor to the CGT in this market. When you factor in the toal package, and not just fixate on the performance numbers.

Peace
Ps
Old 02-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today, a brand new CGT was sold by the original buyer to someone else for about CHF 100k (USD 80k) over sticker.
Greetings,
--Pierre

Quick Reply: Whats the "market Value" of a carrera GT?