Sponsored by:

prices on CGT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:35 PM
ncoburn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Ncoburn, I found quite the opposite on CGt's including feedback from the techs/mechanics that work on them. Cosmetic condition, I agree, lower miles usually = better example. On the mechanical side, the low mile examples I inspected needed as much of more mechanical attention. Many have never had an engine out. And there are some mechanical issues specific to CGTs that tend to be more problematic in examples that sit.

At the ends of the spectrum, I had a 600mi car that needed $30k and a 12kmi that needed wiper blades.

And, yes, Jimmy is the man when it comes to these cars.

YMMV
Indeed, ymmv.

Congrats on your car. Amazing machines.

Nick
Old 09-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Both Nick and Jrtaylor are right, it just totally depends on the specific car, and whether the deal is at a fair number for that car considering the maintenance needs (and, let's be honest, 99% of Carrera GTs that come up for sale privately or publicly have some maintenance needs).

Miles do not tell the full story - it can also depend highly on how the car was stored, where it was stored (climate), whether it has been regularly started, warmed, driven, basic vital fluids changed, etc.

It's possible to have a 1,500-mile car that has been warmed + driven 4 miles every other weekend since new, or it's possible to have a 1,500 mile car that was driven 1,500 miles then stored for 10 years. I won't argue which is necessarily better, but the point is miles do not alone speak to how a car like this has truly lived its life.

Ownership history, maintenance history, and an inspection are the only way to fully determine what you're dealing with.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:47 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 167 Posts

All I know is that as I ponder cars I’d like to buy I really struggle to think of one for $1-2m that I’d prefer over a CGT. Now not every one is made for a CGT. But those who are understand why it’s still so undervalued.

Once you realize that you are buying a multi million dollar value car for significantly less perhaps all these threads abt fear of maintenance costs would dissipate.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:53 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raclaims
All I know is that as I ponder cars I’d like to buy I really struggle to think of one for $1-2m that I’d prefer over a CGT. Now not every one is made for a CGT. But those who are understand why it’s still so undervalued.

Once you realize that you are buying a multi million dollar value car for significantly less perhaps all these threads abt fear of maintenance costs would dissipate.
Totally, and look up how much it costs to maintain some of the other $1m+ supercars if you want things put into perspective!
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 549 Posts

Yeah, it was the only car in this last dip/sell-off that I thought was worth adding to my small collection. I didn't foresee CGT prices recovering as quickly as they have especially as most of car market continues to soften. But it's a mute point other than entry-point; I'm hoping my kids have to deal with selling this car one day. I don't plan to. I did sell the low-miler and kept the 12kmi example. I'm a driver, not a collector.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Yeah, it was the only car in this last dip/sell-off that I thought was worth adding to my small collection. I didn't foresee CGT prices recovering as quickly as they have especially as most of car market continues to soften. But it's a mute point other than entry-point; I'm hoping my kids have to deal with selling this car one day. I don't plan to. I did sell the low-miler and kept the 12kmi example. I'm a driver, not a collector.
It's a very interesting point that CGTs are indeed going up as the rest of the market either plateaus or goes down.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:50 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,381 Likes on 637 Posts

We serviced the 180 mile car in for service after it was sold to a customer of ours. The car was in great shape mechanically- we took some stuff off it and replaced the original tires, did an annual service, and noted very little patina on the car. It's almost automatic that every CGT will have nicks on the kick plate, the edge of the door, or a chin scrape if it has some miles. Very few perfect cars still exist.

Whatever you buy, make sure the seller is honest. Service records tell a lot of the story on a car - you should see regular intervals of miles and services. It's not just the clutch measurement and the car is good to go.

Lots of these will have imperfections. If it has touch up- I say Yes it has been touched up here and here- when the customer asks why? Oh the guy didn't have a clear bra, or because the 2006 level clear bra adhesive ate the paint when it was taken off etc.

Inspection is very important, but whatever you spend on it- just know if it has been wrecked or not- you cannot "unwreck" a car, but you can respray a chin spoiler or replace a clutch or a leaking seal/gasket.

The cheap black car was originally silver.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:01 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 397 Posts

What's wrong with a little repaint CJ? Salomondrin's CGT is repainted and I'm betting he could get all the money out of that one!

Last edited by joejenie; 09-14-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:49 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
What's wrong with a little repaint CJ? Salomondrin's CGT is repainted and I'm betting he could get all the money out of that one!
I think CJ was saying be honest or have someone who knows CGT's look at the car before buying.

It's not about clutch wear - it's about buying the car you think you are buying vs someone claims to be selling.

The less owners the less stories and Salomondrin is a you tuber who talks a lot - don't see any value in his ownership or his re-spray and he doesn't either he states it's never going to be for sale and could care less about depreciation.

Like him or hate him - he's honest which is the premise.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:22 PM
Sterling Sackey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
And, the interior was originally Terracotta. It must have been quite a project changing that car into its current state...
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
I think CJ was saying be honest or have someone who knows CGT's look at the car before buying.

It's not about clutch wear - it's about buying the car you think you are buying vs someone claims to be selling.

The less owners the less stories and Salomondrin is a you tuber who talks a lot - don't see any value in his ownership or his re-spray and he doesn't either he states it's never going to be for sale and could care less about depreciation.

Like him or hate him - he's honest which is the premise.
Sorry, but it was my poor try at a joke. Of course a repaint kills the value. Sorry it didn't come across that way. I love how CJ tells it the way it is. If I buy a CGT (hope to in the next year or so), He will be the first guy I call.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:21 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastique999
What is the history on the black CGT with 25k miles listed on EvanPaul Motorsports for $600k?
Its a car with a lot of "needs". Repainted, and retrimmed. Engine has lots of over-revs. Badly installed front nose lift that needs to be redone etc....
Old 09-15-2018, 02:54 PM
SSO
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

I have started looking for a CGT. Not too concerned with higher miles if history is solid. Looking for a car to drive, not a museum piece.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,835 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
We serviced the 180 mile car in for service after it was sold to a customer of ours. The car was in great shape mechanically- we took some stuff off it and replaced the original tires, did an annual service, and noted very little patina on the car. It's almost automatic that every CGT will have nicks on the kick plate, the edge of the door, or a chin scrape if it has some miles. Very few perfect cars still exist.

Whatever you buy, make sure the seller is honest. Service records tell a lot of the story on a car - you should see regular intervals of miles and services. It's not just the clutch measurement and the car is good to go.

Lots of these will have imperfections. If it has touch up- I say Yes it has been touched up here and here- when the customer asks why? Oh the guy didn't have a clear bra, or because the 2006 level clear bra adhesive ate the paint when it was taken off etc.

Inspection is very important, but whatever you spend on it- just know if it has been wrecked or not- you cannot "unwreck" a car, but you can respray a chin spoiler or replace a clutch or a leaking seal/gasket.

CJW is right.
I really don't see many good car
and many cars say they are "serviced up"... well. to me if it has not had at least one engine out, it's not serviced, period. regardless of miles
a little chin scrape and blemish on the rear diffuser, I couldn't care less. I don't usually slow down just b/c there's a bump in the road.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:09 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,381 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
Sorry, but it was my poor try at a joke. Of course a repaint kills the value. Sorry it didn't come across that way. I love how CJ tells it the way it is. If I buy a CGT (hope to in the next year or so), He will be the first guy I call.
I'll keep the lights on for you.
Value on CGT is the driving experience.

We all buy the best cars we can afford. Nobody says "screw this car I can afford, I want to buy this turd bucket instead".

I'm ok with a little respectful patina or respectful rectification.

Quick Reply: prices on CGT?