Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing a European Carrera GT to the United States? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:03 PM
richierich1111
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing a European Carrera GT to the United States? Help!

Hello! This is my first post here, I’m looking for some help and guidance from experienced members. I have located a special Carrera GT in Europe that I would like to bring to the United States. I have been communicating with the dealership and the salesman there who has been speaking to Stuttgart to figure out what needs to be done to be able to bring a European car here. Some of what he’s trying to tell me seems to be lost in translation. He saying on the European cars there’s a possible tank sensor or vacuum tube in the fuel that’s different than the United States? Then there’s some different speedometers, lights and a possible ECU flash that needs to be done.
Has anyone brought in a car from Europe to the US?
can it be done? Are there any downsides I’m not aware of? Any recommendations on anyone who could help me do this or where I should be looking to get it done ?
Here are a few emails from the conversation with the salesman so you can see what I’m talking about.
thank you for any help or suggestions
RR

Last edited by richierich1111; 07-13-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by richierich1111
Has anyone brought in a car from Europe to the US?

JK Technologies did the original non-conforming petition to import the ROW carrera GT.

Originally Posted by richierich1111
Then there’s some different speedometers, lights and a possible ECU flash that needs to be done.
You can put ROW and the USA version of PET for the Carrera GT side by side on screen and then just go through them page by page. It shouldn't take very long.

Originally Posted by Federal Register
Standard No. 101 Controls and Displays: installation of a U.S.-model instrument cluster. U.S. version software must also be downloaded to meet the requirements of this standard.

Standard No. 108 Lamps, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment: inspection of all vehicles and installation, on vehicles that are not already so equipped, of U.S.-model headlamps, front side marker lamps, taillamp assemblies that incorporate rear side marker lamps, a high-mounted stoplamp assembly, and front and rear side reflex reflectors.

Standard No. 110 Tire Selection and Rims: installation of a tire information placard.

Standard No. 111 Rearview Mirrors: installation of a U.S.-model passenger side rearview mirror, or inscription of the required warning statement on the face of that mirror.

Standard No. 114 Theft Protection: installation of U.S. version software to meet the requirements of this standard.

Standard No. 118 Power-Operated Window, Partition, and Roof Panel Systems: installation of U.S. version software, or installation of a supplemental relay system to meet the requirements of the standard.

Standard No. 208 Occupant Crash Protection: installation of U.S. version software to ensure that the seat belt warning system meets the requirements of this standard. Petitioner states that the vehicle’s restraint system components include U.S.-model airbags and knee bolsters, and combination lap and shoulder belts at the outboard front designated seating positions.

Standard No. 209 Seat Belt Assemblies: inspection of all vehicles and replacement of any non-U.S.-model seat belts with U.S.-model components on vehicles that are not already so equipped
Old 07-13-2018, 08:18 PM
richierich1111
6th Gear

Jason, that was extremely helpful. Thank you. I’ll contact JK tech and pass along this info to the salesman
Old 07-14-2018, 12:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

yes thta's the diagnostic pump to check fuel vent / leak. i know b/c my just broke haha
Old 07-14-2018, 01:05 PM
richierich1111
6th Gear

I reached out to JK Tech and this was the response i received this morning. Sounds like if I was to move forward, I could have the car ready for US roads the beginning of the year. A long wait, but I think worth it
Old 07-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Driftking
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a good idea to contact a seller of a US-spec CGT in Europe, to exchange the parts. Plenty of US-spec CGT's on autoscout or mobile.de that need to be converted to ROW-specs.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:56 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

Got a pair of US rear light clusters (red indicators) that were taken off my car when I bought it from the US 12 years ago. Been boxed since then so like new.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:32 PM
JBMOTTO
AutoX

Unless it is a real gem of a car, I wouldn't import a EU-spec example. Even if all modifications are easily reversible, there will be a stigma attached to the car if you ever decide to sell it. There shouldn't be any stigma, but much like the stock market, the CGT market isn't always rational.
Importing a car from the US into Europe is much easier and I have done it several times through Luxembourg, where bureaucracy is minimal. Even for a CGT, all you need to worry about are the EU-spec light clusters, the seat belt mounts and the speedometer. US emission standards are much more stringent so that problem almost never arises.

Anyway, happy hunting and I hope you find the perfect CGT
Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM
richierich1111
6th Gear

Thank you for the insight.
The reason I’m trying to bring this specific car in is that it is a very rare color, and from my research there’s maybe one or two in the United States in the same color. I’ve always thought that if I was to pull the trigger on a CGT I would have to get one in a PTS color And when it came up for sale it was the exact color combination I’ve always hoped for.
that is good to hear about the emissions. I’m going to be talking further with JK technologies this week about the process
Old 07-16-2018, 03:20 PM
richierich1111
6th Gear

Thank RS clubsport. I will contact you when we move forward a little further and need to start looking for conversion parts
Old 07-16-2018, 05:23 PM
richierich1111
6th Gear

Spent some time today speaking to Porsche gold tech Jimmy Repasi, and he echoed the sentiment that there’s more cons then pros to trying to bring in a euro CGT. Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: Bringing a European Carrera GT to the United States? Help!