Sponsored by:

Considering a 918

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:56 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Considering a 918

Selling our family business and considering buying a 918. When these cars came out I only thought about the purchase price. Never thought about service, issues, insurance, etc. Can anyone point me to good information about the cost of owning this car post-purchase?

The thing is I’ll want to drive it a lot, so I realize the mileage alone will kill me. But I’m more curious:

-what does annual service cost me?
-how long will the car be out of commission for said service each year?
-am I looking at insane costs for repairs?
-assuming insurance is roughly 1% of value per year?
-will I have mileage limits from insurance companies?
-is Weissach only important for resale if I don’t plan to drive on the track except occasionally?
-anything else i need to consider?
-do all Porsche dealers handle 918s? I mover up from Dallas and was spoiled by all of the exotic dealers down there. I also love the P1 but closest dealer is in Dallas which stinks. And P1s are selling for at least $500k more

Appreciate any guidance/help. I’m partial to liquid silver but also loved one i saw in guards red.

Of course if the general feedback is don’t do it I thought about ordering an Aventador S new.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:12 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 169 Posts

When you spend this much for a car you should expect commensurate cost for maintenance and repairs. If you love it, get it and never look back.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:10 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 1,005 Likes on 434 Posts

Ok, hope this helps.

1. What does annual service cost me?
Expect 2k for yearly fluid service and 5-6k for the 2 year service. Nobody has done a 4 year service yet.

2. How long will the car be out of commission for said service each year?
If your mechanic is only working on your car, 1 day for yearly service and 2 days for the 2 year service.

3. Am I looking at insane costs for repairs?
It's 1.3-1.8 million car. What do you think? It will be cheaper than a Mclaren SLR or F40 to maintain, but that's not saying much.

4. Assuming insurance is roughly 1% of value per year?
Should be less than 1% based on today's market value.

5. Will I have mileage limits from insurance companies?
Depend on your insurance and the coverage you choose.

6. Is Weissach only important for resale if I don’t plan to drive on the track except occasionally?
In Porsche world, always go for the lightweight/RS version. Better to drive and better for your ROI.

7. Anything else i need to consider?
Clear bra all of the underside body panels. They are full carbon and very expensive to replace.

8. Do all Porsche dealers handle 918s? I mover up from Dallas and was spoiled by all of the exotic dealers down there. I also love the P1 but closest dealer is in Dallas which stinks. And P1s are selling for at least $500k more
Not all Porsche dealers are 918 certified. You need to check with individual dealers. P1 is a good car, but it's also more costly to maintain than the 918. The part costs on the P1 is pricier.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:39 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Ok, hope this helps.

1. What does annual service cost me?
Expect 2k for yearly fluid service and 5-6k for the 2 year service. Nobody has done a 4 year service yet.

2. How long will the car be out of commission for said service each year?
If your mechanic is only working on your car, 1 day for yearly service and 2 days for the 2 year service.

3. Am I looking at insane costs for repairs?
It's 1.3-1.8 million car. What do you think? It will be cheaper than a Mclaren SLR or F40 to maintain, but that's not saying much.

4. Assuming insurance is roughly 1% of value per year?
Should be less than 1% based on today's market value.

5. Will I have mileage limits from insurance companies?
Depend on your insurance and the coverage you choose.

6. Is Weissach only important for resale if I don’t plan to drive on the track except occasionally?
In Porsche world, always go for the lightweight/RS version. Better to drive and better for your ROI.

7. Anything else i need to consider?
Clear bra all of the underside body panels. They are full carbon and very expensive to replace.

8. Do all Porsche dealers handle 918s? I mover up from Dallas and was spoiled by all of the exotic dealers down there. I also love the P1 but closest dealer is in Dallas which stinks. And P1s are selling for at least $500k more
Not all Porsche dealers are 918 certified. You need to check with individual dealers. P1 is a good car, but it's also more costly to maintain than the 918. The part costs on the P1 is pricier.

Mine is coming up this November

Quick Reply: Considering a 918