Sponsored by:

Why Buying a 918 was an Investment From the Beginning

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
. Hey Nuvolari612, You should consider a little love for the new FGT. Turbos yes, batteries? ...no. But in the end, it's all about the driving experience and feedback one gets from a car. I've heard some negative points on the 918 with regards to the experience, but I've never driven one and don't believe everything I read, or hear on the radio, or TV, or from a friend who knows a friend (and who claims they are good friends).
I don't care much about specs, nannies, and claims, and your talking to a guy who still races a sequential despite the easy paddle conversion kits. However, the new "p.... pa... paddle shifting" FGT is a pretty exciting car to drive when you're staying either full throttle or applying 800 lbs of brake force. Stiffly sprung like the CGT, it offers that exciting feedback for those ultra sensitive in-the-moment drivers who can "stay in the zone". My point is, don't give it a frown until you drive it around (o.k., that was bad...). Plus, it's a Ford! I think they deserve a thumbs up.
As I've said in the past, now I really understand how the Germans feel about Porsche.
what he said!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

. Hey Nuvolari612, You should consider a little love for the new FGT. Turbos yes, batteries? ...no. But in the end, it's all about the driving experience and feedback one gets from a car. I've heard some negative points on the 918 with regards to the experience, but I've never driven one and don't believe everything I read, or hear on the radio, or TV, or from a friend who knows a friend (and who claims they are good friends).
I don't care much about specs, nannies, and claims, and your talking to a guy who still races a sequential despite the easy paddle conversion kits. However, the new "p.... pa... paddle shifting" FGT is a pretty exciting car to drive when you're staying either full throttle or applying 800 lbs of brake force. Stiffly sprung like the CGT, it offers that exciting feedback for those ultra sensitive in-the-moment drivers who can "stay in the zone". My point is, don't give it a frown until you drive it around (o.k., that was bad...). Plus, it's a Ford! I think they deserve a thumbs up.
As I've said in the past, now I really understand how the Germans feel about Porsche.
hmm ... so most days I drive a dually 350 and wife who is a horse nut has been driving Expeditions for decades and own a constr co F250 & F350's buy new every two years that's a nice customer - yes?

Ford dealer is even a tenant - anyway place two deposits with dealers not small. Year or so later they send me a resume which who knows that information ends up only to find out it's being produced outside Ford ... that was the first mistake IMO of many.

I scrap the resume - why - after seeing another local car guy buy two GT's one Heritage makes a video over the top he's getting a GT and my neighbor who runs a massive leasing company - personally has no Fords gets his allocation. Ford sold the heart (engine) beat and logo to an outside contractor and by passed their dealers which is Tesla style marketing that grinds on me to no end and then you have the Instagram stars of the world like SHMEE or whatever his name is getting a Ford. If Porsche subcontracted their car it would be DOA and messenger taken outside to a firing squad.

GT however great it may be - IMO is not a Ford as I grew up selling the Ford factory in my town that has now shuttered. I would be given tours of cars being produced that were insanity at Fords plant. I would see a Ferrari and other cars they were tearing apart by the engineers and designers. One would be shocked to see how serious Ford took the competition too bad iPhones were not around. Ford engineering plants workers heritage runs deep - in fact deeper than any other brand I know - until the GT.

I love Ford but for the GT - hell I have even driven BIGFOOT
Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by ByeEnzo

what he said!
When it leaves the factory floor who's in the background.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:48 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

I've heard some negative points on the 918 with regards to the experience, but I've never driven one and don't believe everything I read, or hear on the radio, or TV, or from a friend who knows a friend (and who claims they are good friends).
LOL! You crack me up! They call it La La Land for a good reason!

On a serious note, I think my biggest criticism on my 918 would be the brake pedal feel. The brake regen would kick in first and then you get the actual braking engaged. Over the course of the 918 development, there was a very noticeable "step" in the brake feel (I have driven various versions of the 918 development car), but Porsche was able to solve that problem with massive amount of calibration in the end. My issue with the brake pedal feel is not the step, but rather, when you first press the brake pedal hard on the track, you don't get the full stopping power of the braking system. To enjoy full stopping power of the 918, you need to stomp the brake and then give it another 20% more force to get the full stopping power. It's a technique that you need to develop to truly bring out the lap times on the 918. On a positive side, you do get more stopping power on the 918 due to brake regen than other cars.

I think the new Ford GT is a great car, but I'm old fashioned, so I prefer a V8, V10 or a V12 in the back. I recently got a 2006 Tungsten FGT, so I have been enjoying driving that car around in the canyons with no traction control and "old-fashioned" Bridgestone RE050A tires.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I'm sorry buddy, but you have no relation to me, so you need to stop pretending like you do.

Whoever our "mutual friend" is, I'm 100% certain him and I are not good friends. I live in Los Angeles, a town of full of people who pretends to know someone "really well." If you want to verify how well your friend knows me, you can always PM me here or Instagram.
I have no direct relation w/ you and I'm not pretending like I do. You are awfully generous to let someone who isn't good friends w/ you live in your house. Too bad LA is so fake. I don't want to give up their identity so no need. I don't have Instagram either.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:53 PM
unotaz
Drifting

LOL. Honestly, we had so many people staying over at our place when we were living in Bel Air. Come to think of it, we probably had over 60 families come and stay with us. My wife and I have big families and we are very generous people. At one point, I had one of my employee staying at the house, while he was sorting out his rental problems.

You see, some people (like you), gets off on hiding behind a computer and feel good about knowing some publicly available information. I'm sure I can get a Star Map and start blasting celebrities homes and addresses. Of course, this is public information but how will that make me look? I would look like a freaking stalker and that's what you are turning out to be.

So my sincerest advice, you should focus on your attention on other things that is more productive, such as work and making more money. Stop spreading baseless information on Rennlist just because you heard it on some Podcast.

Originally Posted by Andial
I have no direct relation w/ you and I'm not pretending like I do. You are awfully generous to let someone who isn't good friends w/ you live in your house. Too bad LA is so fake. I don't want to give up their identity so no need. I don't have Instagram either.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Time to close this thread. It started with a link to an article of minimal information value (IMO) and just went further south from there.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:36 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
hmm ... so most days I drive a dually 350 and wife who is a horse nut has been driving Expeditions for decades and own a constr co F250 & F350's buy new every two years that's a nice customer - yes?

Ford dealer is even a tenant - anyway place two deposits with dealers not small. Year or so later they send me a resume which who knows that information ends up only to find out it's being produced outside Ford ... that was the first mistake IMO of many.

I scrap the resume - why - after seeing another local car guy buy two GT's one Heritage makes a video over the top he's getting a GT and my neighbor who runs a massive leasing company - personally has no Fords gets his allocation. Ford sold the heart (engine) beat and logo to an outside contractor and by passed their dealers which is Tesla style marketing that grinds on me to no end and then you have the Instagram stars of the world like SHMEE or whatever his name is getting a Ford. If Porsche subcontracted their car it would be DOA and messenger taken outside to a firing squad.

GT however great it may be - IMO is not a Ford as I grew up selling the Ford factory in my town that has now shuttered. I would be given tours of cars being produced that were insanity at Fords plant. I would see a Ferrari and other cars they were tearing apart by the engineers and designers. One would be shocked to see how serious Ford took the competition too bad iPhones were not around. Ford engineering plants workers heritage runs deep - in fact deeper than any other brand I know - until the GT.

I love Ford but for the GT - hell I have even driven BIGFOOT
On several accounts I agree with you, no doubt about that. I think Ford had a plan and perhaps it was not the best one in my view. That said, as for me, I climb in and judge the experience. Even the CGT, with all it's really cool beginnings (coming from F1 design, etc.), if it had been only contracted by Porsche and built in a different country like the FGT, it would make no difference on how I feel about the CGT today. The driving experience is awesome as you know. I don't always like the choices people make, but it's the end result that I judge, not the path. I'm sure you will have an opportunity to drive one at some point, but you better hand your check book to your wife before climbing in...
Old 06-27-2018, 10:26 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

On several accounts I agree with you, no doubt about that. I think Ford had a plan and perhaps it was not the best one in my view. That said, as for me, I climb in and judge the experience. Even the CGT, with all it's really cool beginnings (coming from F1 design, etc.), if it had been only contracted by Porsche and built in a different country like the FGT, it would make no difference on how I feel about the CGT today. The driving experience is awesome as you know. I don't always like the choices people make, but it's the end result that I judge, not the path. I'm sure you will have an opportunity to drive one at some point, but you better hand your check book to your wife before climbing in...
You may be right - wife actually offered the new GT as a gift prefer 06 Heritage part of history and sit this one out.

It's good to hear GT is a rewarding drivers car as the CGT 13 years later basically bullet proof in the right hands on and off track that's a hard act to follow - time will tell we Ford guys are hoping for the best!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Andial
Banned

LOL. Honestly, we had so many people staying over at our place when we were living in Bel Air. Come to think of it, we probably had over 60 families come and stay with us. My wife and I have big families and we are very generous people. At one point, I had one of my employee staying at the house, while he was sorting out his rental problems.

You see, some people (like you), gets off on hiding behind a computer and feel good about knowing some publicly available information. I'm sure I can get a Star Map and start blasting celebrities homes and addresses. Of course, this is public information but how will that make me look? I would look like a freaking stalker and that's what you are turning out to be.

So my sincerest advice, you should focus on your attention on other things that is more productive, such as work and making more money. Stop spreading baseless information on Rennlist just because you heard it on some Podcast.
I don't hide behind a computer and don't feel good about knowing some publicly known information. I am not a freaking stalker. I got your address from our mutual friend. I just connected the dots that you were the same person I saw at Supercar Sunday and on JLG and here on RL. Thanks for the advice, but I still have many years of school ahead of me. How can I make more money if I have yet to make a cent? I could increase my productivity but it's unnecessary at this time. I do find the information I shared was pretty solid, considering Seinfeld's Porsche clout.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:20 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Last edited by nuvolari612; 06-28-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:32 PM
unotaz
Drifting

So let me summarize, here is a guy who is still in school, hasn't made any money yet, has no connection with Porsche, and listens to celebrity podcast on the Internet. Along the way, he discloses one of my old house address, watched me on Jay Leno's Garage, visited my Instagram account, seen me in person at Supercar Sunday, and claims to know a mutual friend of mine.

LOL

Ok, this is last post I will make on this thread. I am out of here!
Old 06-28-2018, 03:44 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

unotaz, this has got to be one of the worst threads ever on the supercar forum, I feel for you man and share your sentiments exactly. The only thing of interest I got out of this was your feedback on the 918 braking, so thank you for sharing that.

My advice, ignore the crazies and the school children
Old 06-29-2018, 01:03 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Dittio ^
Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 PM
Andial
Banned

So let me summarize, here is a guy who is still in school, hasn't made any money yet, has no connection with Porsche, and listens to celebrity podcast on the Internet. Along the way, he discloses one of my old house address, watched me on Jay Leno's Garage, visited my Instagram account, seen me in person at Supercar Sunday, and claims to know a mutual friend of mine.

LOL

Ok, this is last post I will make on this thread. I am out of here!
My claims are factual and you are spot on.

Quick Reply: Why Buying a 918 was an Investment From the Beginning