Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT and FGT drive near PV

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 12:50 PM
991gtR
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just sold my cgt , had it for 1 year no drives ...
was worried no one drove them anymore.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 PM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
E-Man,
They are both very different cars and both fantastic for different reasons: The CGT has the awesome exhaust note we all know and love - it just can't be beat. The FGT sounds different, but really good between 5000-7000 rpms. It also has this pop in the high rpm's when you take your foot of the gas that sounds awesome. I love the sound of the turbo waste gates releasing pressure as well. Even at idle, when all the fans start blowing, it reminds me of a jet getting ready to take off. And, take off it will. Paddling through the gears with the foot to the floor is smooth and you feel that torque and power all the way up through the gears with no interruption (very exciting from 10mph to whatever - I have not tried the launch mode). One of the surprising performance features that impresses me the most are the brakes. In the CGT, I'll hit the brakes quite hard (max pressure) when up to significant speed. The CGT brakes feel solid, hard, and very easy to adjust the pressure as needed (such as just before a turn in when trail braking). However, the FGT brakes I have not gotten use to. They are so over the top in the feeling of stopping power, that I have not applied maximum pressure yet (I need to get this car on a track and stab them at maybe 140+.... and see what happens).
The handling of the CGT at high speeds is exhilarating. A high level of focus is key and learning to anticipate the small corrections in the turns makes the CGT more race car like than any street car I've driven. However, the FGT... I gotta say - very impressive in the handling and feel of the car as well... but different: in Sport mode, the car feels fantastic on roads and twisty turns, both slow and fast turns. It inspires confidence. If you hit a bump going around a corner, the car feels like it breaks loose for a split second, as if it hops, but does not oversteer (no correction at least). However, the Track mode is very different. I found myself making a massive correction when I went over a small blob of dry cement on the asphalt going around a corner in 4th gear (don't know what speed, but a turn I take all the time in different cars). The car in Track mode feels very stiffly sprung. I went back around the same corner, at the same speed in Sport mode, and the car hoped a bit but was fine. After working with the Track mode a few times on the street, I've come to the conclusion that this mode is definitely more for the track, and perhaps a smooth track like Laguna especially. In fact, I'm very excited to get this car on the track after the break in period.
For around town driving, the FGT is so easy.... sooo easy to drive. It has that front end lift for driveways, but the front of the car is already sitting much higher than the CGT and I really think it is almost unnecessary (although I do use it as a "better safe than sorry" button). Of course, the FGT has the automatic mode and comfort mode (although I've not tried either yet). I know my wife could drive the FGT easily... I've not told my wife that it can run in automatic mode...
To sum it up: The FGT feels refined, technology advanced, exciting, and will inspire confidence in a driver. The CGT feels raw, intimidating, exhilarating, but will not give you an ounce of confidence for free - that we must bring on our own. Both very exciting cars with very different driving experiences for sure. Someone asked me if I had to choose only one favorite thing about each car, what would it be:
CGT: driving experience
FGT: made in America (there is a great sense of pride that I have never felt for any car before the new FGT. Perhaps I can now understand how the Germans feel about Porsche).
Thank you for the thoughtful review. I just spec'd my '18 FGT. Can't wait to compare it to my CGT.

Quick Reply: CGT and FGT drive near PV