Sponsored by:

CGT Noob Question about GT Silver Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:19 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default CGT Noob Question about GT Silver Paint

I have a GT Silver 981 Spyder and I'm interested in learning more about this color. Specifically, I've always heard that GT Silver was a color specially created by Porsche for the CGT, and thus didn't exist prior to the CGT. Is this true?

I've also read that there is a hardcover book on the CGT (it may be Porsche's own literature/brochure/catalog/etc.) that has multiple pages devoted to GT Silver and how the color was designed to accentuate the CGT's lines, panels and haunches. Does anyone know of such a publication?

Finally, I've heard different theories about GT Silver having a higher metal flake concentration than other Porsche silvers, thus the premium that Porsche has charged for GT Silver (until most recently). Does anyone know if, indeed, there is anything technically different or "superior" about GT Silver compared to other silvers, or paints in general, that Porsche offers? If, indeed, it was specially created for Porsche's supercar at the time, then it's logical perhaps that the paint had some special qualities.

I did a search but didn't come up with anything definitive addressing these questions. Thought I would ask here due to what I understand to be the color's tie-in to the CGT. Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

I believe it's true that gt silver was created for the cgt. I remember the same thing.

Don't know of any book.

It would make sense that there's more metalflake in gt silver but I can't confirm that either.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^ Thanks, Brian.

I've gone back through old Porsche press releases and announcements relating to the intro of the CGT looking for any mention of a special color being offered, but haven't found anything.

I did, however, find this reference to GT Silver in an August 6, 2003, Porsche press release for the 40th Anniversary 911:

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=178

The 40th Anniversary 911's distinguishing styling features include GT silver metallic exterior paint color (exclusive to this model and the Carrera GT), front cooling air openings adopted from the 911 Turbo, body color air intake grills, left and right sill trims, an aluminum "911" logo on the engine cover, shot-blasted, polished 18-inch Carrera wheels, and high-gloss polished exhaust tailpipes. A sliding sunroof, bi-xenon headlights with dynamic beam angle control and a headlight cleaning system complete the standard exterior features.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:02 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have GT Silver...in the sun it's sparkles...it's fantastic!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

^^^^^ I love it, too! Always have. The fact that the color was originally reserved for the CGT and the 40th Anniversary 911 indicates it was/is a special color. Just wish I could find out more about it, why Porsche selected it for these cars, what properties are unique about it (if any), etc., etc.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:02 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I have it on my 40th anniversary as well as on my 2009 TT
Old 10-18-2017, 12:05 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

GT Silver metal flakes are small very smooth clean clear luster one of the best paints I have ever seen on any car.

It's not the cost of the paint - it's the skills required to lay the paint which is why you can see the cf weave which I have never seen on a CF car.

I think that's why people freak over re-sprays on the CGT - regardless if there is a PTS process at Porsche the GT Silver was performed top notch - proof
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2017, 12:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'm pretty sure the 2004 Boxster 986S Anniversary was offered in GT Silver.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^ You're right. From the November 21, 2003, Porsche press release for the Boxster S commemorating the 50th anniversary of the 550 Spyder:

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=196

Porsche® has announced the creation of an exclusive 2004 Boxster S model designed to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the legendary Porsche 550 Spyder.

. . .

As most 550 Spyders were painted silver, the new special edition Boxster S is finished in GT Silver Metallic, a color only found on the Carrera GT and "40 Years of the 911" models.
. . .
Cocoa and GT Silver dominate the car's special interior with . . . the back of the safety bars are painted in GT Silver Metallic.

So it appears GT Silver first appeared on the CGT, then was offered on the 40th Anniversary 911 and then was offered on the Boxster S 50th Anniversary of the 550 Spyder.

It seems like GT Silver's exclusivity to the CGT did not last very long as it spread to these other models.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Is this the book that you are looking for?

Amazon Amazon

I don't remember anything about GT Silver into it.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928cs
Is this the book that you are looking for?
Thanks. It could be. I don't know the name of the book. I just recall someone mentioning that they had a hardcover book on the CGT that had several pages devoted to GT Silver and how that paint color worked well with, or was designed specifically to compliment, the CGT's body design. In the book there are supposed to be several pics of designers scrutinizing and caressing the body panels of the car admiring the beauty of the GT Silver paint.

Quick Reply: CGT Noob Question about GT Silver Paint