Notices
Porsche Memorabilia The place to post cherished keepsakes and mementos of our favorite marque

Custom LEGO Porsches (not sets), mostly 911's

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Custom LEGO Porsches (not sets), mostly 911's

These are some of my custom LEGO Porsches that I built while I was shopping for my first 911, waiting for it to get delivered here, and then waiting through four months of winter to drive it. Each small car build took between five and seven hours to perfect and cost about $40 each in new LEGO bricks. If you built with Legos as a child or with your kids and grandkids now, you know how hard it is to get curved Porsche 911 shapes at a small scale.

More photos are available at this link :
http://www.moc-pages.com/home.php/90874

LEGO came out with four sets with Porsche licensing, and that inspired me to build as I could use the factory Lego decals and Porsche printed bricks in my own cars. Most of them are built to the scale of the official LEGO speed champion sets. Each of them uses different techniques to get the curves. No glue, and they roll freely and can be played with.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

1. 1973 911 RSR as built for the inaugural season of the north American trans am championship, before the duck tail spoilers were swapped for whale tails by order of Rodger Penske (google pics of the cars leaving the factory).

2. 2017 Porsche 911 RSR

3. 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS

4. 1976 Porsche 930 Turbo

5. 1976 Porsche 934.5 IMSA race car

6. 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera (built to match my real Porsche)

7. 1985 Porsche 962 Lowenbrau IMSA race car

8. 2008 Porsche Cayenne S (built to match my real Porsche). This one is 3 years old and is not to the level of my other cars, but I included it anyway.

9. LEGO mosaic of 2008 Porsche GT3 RS made from over 5,000 individual bricks.

10. Modifications to LEGO's GT3 RS set. I added handmade LED lights for the headlights, fog lights, interior lights, and taillights. I also changed the design below the headlights to fill in as the kit has a big black gap there.
Attached Images                    
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 AM
Spacedust
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Serious Crash Test of Lego 991.1 GT3 RS in Slow Motion !

Old 05-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Blaine 997
Instructor

My GT3 RS is located on a shelf in my office approximately 5 feet above the hardwood floor. Maybe that is not such a good spot for it. At least the car can be rebuilt to its former glory after gathering all the parts with a brush and dustpan.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:32 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaine 997
These are some of my custom LEGO Porsches that I built.....
you know how hard it is to get curved Porsche 911 shapes at a small scale.
Those are very impressive!

I like how you faded the rear fenders on the '76. The 934.5 is cool, and the yellow 997 is amazingly simple (and smooth). Great numbers on the 962. They're all nice!

Legos are quite impressive. I watched on a documentary once that they are made to similar tolerances as a combustion engine.

If you haven't heard of bricklink, you might be interested. You can buy individual pieces (at least you used to be able to). https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page

Originally Posted by Spacedust
Serious Crash Test of Lego 991.1 GT3 RS in Slow Motion !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=dCPWPj4JHqg
That had to be done at at least 60mph. Only way you could get a Technic "bolted" Lego kit to explode like that. I wonder if any of the pieces actually broke or bent?

Last edited by FrenchToast; 05-25-2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:20 AM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments. I try to use a different technique for each car. As for the 930 Turbo, I had never mixed technic parts and regular LEGO's in a mini figure scale car before, it was difficult to make it work and have everything stay together so my kids could play with it. The numbers on the side of the 962 don't look difficult at first glance, until you realize I built both sides of the car with the Lego studs facing the front. The number 14 on one side is a built in the opposite direction as the number 14 on the other side. The trick was getting them to be located on the exact same area on each side of the car.

It's amazing how all Lego bricks going back to the 1960s work with all the brand-new current bricks. The intake opening on the fronts of the GT3 RS and the 934.5 are window bricks from the 1960's that have not been produced since around 1972. And they work perfectly with all brand-new bricks from 2017. I've read about and seen documentaries on their quality control at their factories. It's really impressive to see the tolerances they hold in plastic.

Unfortunately for my wife, I know all about Bricklink.com. We have a Lego room with loose bricks sorted into drawers by type in by color. These are loose bricks that we do not keep in sets, mostly used loose bricks from my childhood or large amounts of used bricks I bought on Bricklink. When I build something I want to keep together, or my kids need certain bricks for a Lego building contest, we build it out of our old loose bricks to prototype it. Then I buy brand-new bricks individually on Bricklink to complete the final builds.

I also have all my sets from my childhood spanning the late 1970s through mid-1980s, all complete in the original boxes. My most valuable set is the famous yellow castle, valued at over $1000 now. I encourage my kids to keep all their sets complete and together as well. The result is we have a huge pile of Rubbermaid's containers full of a few thousand sets.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is really cool.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:43 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

The intake opening on the fronts of the GT3 RS and the 934.5 are window bricks from the 1960's that have not been produced since around 1972. And they work perfectly with all brand-new bricks from 2017. I've read about and seen documentaries on their quality control at their factories. It's really impressive to see the tolerances they hold in plastic.
I did not notice that until you mentioned it! I have a bunch of those, but not the short ones. Only the ones that are six plates (or two 'bricks') tall.

How did you find one in orange for the RS? As I recall orange was not introduced until the 2000s sometime. Did you paint it?

It is true - very little has changed dimensionally since the introduction of the "modern" brick. I think the biggest change was the spindles (pre Technic era) that held propellers/wheels/gears were much wider. Up until the 90s they still used one of these wider spindles.

There is a local store that used to carry NOS Lego kits. They haven't in many years. But I remember going in and finding ten-year-old (at the time) sets on the shelf. It was very impressive, since this was before the internet (let alone eBay) was mainstream.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:56 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

The intake opening on the fronts of the GT3 RS and the 934.5 are window bricks from the 1960's that have not been produced since around 1972. And they work perfectly with all brand-new bricks from 2017. I've read about and seen documentaries on their quality control at their factories. It's really impressive to see the tolerances they hold in plastic.
I did not notice that until you mentioned it! I have a bunch of those, but not the short ones. Only the ones that are six plates (or two 'bricks') tall.

How did you find one in orange for the RS? As I recall orange was not introduced until the 2000s sometime. Did you paint it?

It is true - very little has changed dimensionally since the introduction of the "modern" brick. I think the biggest change was the spindles (pre Technic era) that held propellers/wheels/gears were much wider. Up until the 90s they still used one of these wider spindles.

There is a local store that used to carry NOS Lego kits. They haven't in many years. But I remember going in and finding ten-year-old (at the time) sets on the shelf. It was very impressive, since this was before the internet (let alone eBay) was mainstream.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM
mrhan
Intermediate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlYEH2WPLlk

Lego
commercial filmed in Porsche Museum
Old 05-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Blaine 997
Instructor

My newest custom Lego designs, a Porsche 959....
Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Blaine 997
Instructor

...and a Leh Keen style 911 Safari.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

LOVE IT!.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Blaine 997
Instructor

I custom designed these cars by sitting down with a pile of loose LEGO bricks, so they are not for sale anywhere!
Old 07-26-2018, 12:25 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Fantastic work. Love these.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:01 PM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Originally Posted by F1tifosi
Fantastic work. Love these.
thanks!