Macan 2014-Current

I think I'm going to DIY a clear bra install

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:52 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I'm going to DIY a clear bra install

I'm a very do it yourself type person, especially when it comes to things that I feel can be accomplished with some patience and the right tools. There's a site that sells 3M Scotchgard pro film that's precut for the Macan, the only thing I have to check with them is if they have precut film for the GTS bumper, the hood are the same but I'll double check. Prices I've seen quoted to me was $1300 for the full coverage (hood, bumper, mirror, door inserts, headlights and fog lights) whereas on this site it's $351 for the full hood and mirror. $150 or so for the bumper. They have other pieces so I might look at getting those while I'm at it. We'll see how it goes, if it works I will save probably over $600 in labor. I'll update as the day draws closer.

Here's an example of the precut film.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:18 AM
stever996
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm getting popcorn. Either way, it should be good.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:43 AM
Daohaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by stever996
I'm getting popcorn. Either way, it should be good.
LOL, if i can get my daughter's Nikon DSLR to work and record, I'll record it and time lapse the whole thing.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The quoted prices you received are definitely on the low side from what I have seen. Keep us posted how it turns out.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:08 AM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The quote I got for the full hood mirrors and bumper was $1800, so your price isn't bad as stated above. I have to say a big piece like the hood will **** you off. I did my Z3 years ago which was only the 1/4 hood and bumper and that wasn't easy. It was cool that I did, but would rather have someone to blame except myself.

Removal - us a laundry steamer you can buy at Costco.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:28 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

I've done this and it is not that bad. Go to an auto body supply shop and pick up the spray lube that allows you to move the wrap around. Can you post a link to the site that sells the material? I've been looking for one on eBay but unable to find it. Thanks
Old 06-13-2016, 09:34 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

If you've never done this before, may I suggest that you go to a clear-bra installer's shop on the pretense of obtaining a quote. Take a good look at the cleanliness and the lighting. They cut their film from bulk using computer generated patterns. In many instances, because they can buy the film in quantity, they can be pretty competitive if they want to be. Also, because of their skill, they're good and fast. Then consider where you intend to do the job and the risk of messing up the film. The hood is huge and, if you get a trapped bubble, crease, trash or, Heaven forbid, a tear, you will not be happy. Yes, I've done a couple of vehicles. It took me 3 days to do one and I was a nervous wreck. Compound curves will give you fits! From then on, I've decided to leave it to the pros.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

I'm enlisting the help of my friend that wraps cars, we'll be doing this indoors for sure. This site sells insurance you pay an additional 10% and if you really hose it you can buy it again at 60% off lol.

Here's the link to the site.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/imask/index.php?route=product/category&path=33805

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
If you've never done this before, may I suggest that you go to a clear-bra installer's shop on the pretense of obtaining a quote. Take a good look at the cleanliness and the lighting. They cut their film from bulk using computer generated patterns. In many instances, because they can buy the film in quantity, they can be pretty competitive if they want to be. Also, because of their skill, they're good and fast. Then consider where you intend to do the job and the risk of messing up the film. The hood is huge and, if you get a trapped bubble, crease, trash or, Heaven forbid, a tear, you will not be happy. Yes, I've done a couple of vehicles. It took me 3 days to do one and I was a nervous wreck. Compound curves will give you fits! From then on, I've decided to leave it to the pros.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:54 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
If you've never done this before, may I suggest that you go to a clear-bra installer's shop on the pretense of obtaining a quote. Yes, I've done a couple of vehicles. It took me 3 days to do one and I was a nervous wreck. Compound curves will give you fits! From then on, I've decided to leave it to the pros.
The thing about this is task is that even if the result doesn't come out 100% from aesthetics perspective it will be doing 100% of the job from a function perspective, protecting your paint from rock chips. If you can live with a 95% job that looks 100% from a foot away then go for it and you'll be happy with your result and all the money you saved. And you are protecting your Macan! Up to you.

Last edited by jeff968; 06-14-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeff968
The thing about this is task is that even if the result doesn't come out 100% from aesthetics perspective it will be doing 100% of the job from a function perspective, protecting your paint from rock chips. If you can live with a 95% job that looks 100% from a foot away then go for it and you'll be happy with your result and all the money you saved. And you are protecting your Macan! Up to you.
dont forget the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself vs paying someone. People will then excuse the imperfection when you tell them you DIY
Old 06-15-2016, 09:34 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Glad to know you'll have an extra pair of experienced hands to assist. Best of Luck!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Yes good luck and please post lots of pics. I've got to do the same thing as I am picking up small chips on the freeway driving I am doing.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:58 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Yes good luck and please post lots of pics. I've got to do the same thing as I am picking up small chips on the freeway driving I am doing.
will do! I spoke with them and they do not have the bumper cutouts yet, all other things like the A pillar, hood, rear bumper top mirrors work still.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:00 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

I noticed the link states Macan S. Is there more then one kind of Macan hood?
Old 06-17-2016, 02:56 AM
Daohaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeff968
I noticed the link states Macan S. Is there more then one kind of Macan hood?
no, it's all the same they just didnt sort it out properly.

they said the GTS sideskirt is different from the S as well. I haven't looked at them closely to see.

Quick Reply: I think I'm going to DIY a clear bra install