Macan 2014-Current

GTS on US129 "Tail of the Dragon"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 76 Posts
Default GTS on US129 "Tail of the Dragon"

On a car vacation with my friends in the Smokies and shot some video chasing my buddies Z4 3.0si. Macan did really well, was running out of grip with the stock all season rubber and brake pads. With some Pilot 4S and good brake pads it would be a real weapon! Don't mind my commentary and the odd bit of swearing, lol.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:29 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Tune it and lower it.... Summer Tires...
Old 04-22-2019, 06:32 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

OEM pads?
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Summer tires and lowering would be a huge help. The Michelin Latitude's were the obvious weak link, they stick terrible when pushed. As for a tune, I didn't really feel like I needed more power, just needed it to stick to the road better.

As for the pads they are stock, however I realized that I had run through 3 times back to back with little downtime between each run, so maybe that's what did it. The GTS has terrible engine braking, probably due to the weight, short stroke V6 and turbos. This puts strain on the brakes for sure!

Body looks pretty composed in this pic! Air suspension doing its thing...

Old 04-24-2019, 07:24 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 429 Posts

Do you have PTV+ by any chance?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Do you have PTV+ by any chance?
No I don’t have it. Would have made it turn in quicker I suspect.

If I was ordering for a performance build, I would have gone no sunroof, ptv+ and summer tires. I have Sport Chrono and the sport plus mode was nice for hard driving, didn’t even have to think of shifting.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:14 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Summer tires and lowering would be a huge help. The Michelin Latitude's were the obvious weak link, they stick terrible when pushed. As for a tune, I didn't really feel like I needed more power, just needed it to stick to the road better.

As for the pads they are stock, however I realized that I had run through 3 times back to back with little downtime between each run, so maybe that's what did it. The GTS has terrible engine braking, probably due to the weight, short stroke V6 and turbos. This puts strain on the brakes for sure!

Body looks pretty composed in this pic! Air suspension doing its thing...
Hopefully you checked out some of the (in my opinion) better and less congested roads in the area! TOTD is fun but there are too many idiots.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:17 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by go.illini
Hopefully you checked out some of the (in my opinion) better and less congested roads in the area! TOTD is fun but there are too many idiots.
Oh ya, we tour the whole area, Blue Ridge, Foot Hills, Cherohala parkways and all the connecting roads. We try and go down once a year, we get an AirBNB in the area as a home base. The Dragon was pretty quiet actually as we were there during the week. Weekends are nuts.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:57 AM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini

Just don't go on the weekend. Best time is Tues-Thur and earlier in the day. Last year when I was there we had almost no traffic on the dragon and it makes a huge difference in fun factor when you aren't getting stuck behind something every 2-3 miles.

Quick Reply: GTS on US129 "Tail of the Dragon"