Macan 2014-Current

Speaker for engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Speaker for engine sound

I was playing around under the hood of my Macan GTS. I found a speaker mounted in the centre of the firewall right under windshield. (you have to remove the plastic cover along the windshield to see it) I disconnected it and went for a drive. Wow!!! Intake sound gone. The sound is not pleasing at all and very quiet. These turbo sixes have very little sound, basically my GTS with PSE sounds exactly like the base or S model.
I always hoped Porsche did use amplified sound to enchance engine sound.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Harsany
I was playing around under the hood of my Macan GTS. I found a speaker mounted in the centre of the firewall right under windshield. (you have to remove the plastic cover along the windshield to see it) I disconnected it and went for a drive. Wow!!! Intake sound gone. The sound is not pleasing at all and very quiet. These turbo sixes have very little sound, basically my GTS with PSE sounds exactly like the base or S model.
I always hoped Porsche did use amplified sound to enchance engine sound.
Interesting. But consider this....from the OUTSIDE of the vehicle the sound of a PSE equipped Macan is significantly more aggressive than one without. So PSE does make a noticeable difference. The Macans (and Cayennes) have very effective interior sound deadening, as you found out.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Is that part of the sound symposer that brings some excitement from the engine into the cabin? Never understood this. Make it authentic or not at all.
The following users liked this post:
roule (08-30-2022)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:59 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petza914
Is that part of the sound symposer that brings some excitement from the engine into the cabin? Never understood this. Make it authentic or not at all.
Many performance makes do it now. The 'real' sound is there via the exhaust/intake system which can be clearly heard outside of the vehicle. This is just a way of making the sound more prominent and enjoyable in the interior without removing all/most of the sound deadening which provides an otherwise pleasant, quiet, civilized ride that we've come to expect in modern luxury/performance vehicles. It therefore lets us, the drivers, enjoy a bit more of the aural experience from behind the wheel.....even with the windows up and the AC on!
Old 09-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Many performance makes do it now. The 'real' sound is there via the exhaust/intake system which can be clearly heard outside of the vehicle. This is just a way of making the sound more prominent and enjoyable in the interior without removing all/most of the sound deadening which provides an otherwise pleasant, quiet, civilized ride that we've come to expect in modern luxury/performance vehicles. It therefore lets us, the drivers, enjoy a bit more of the aural experience from behind the wheel.....even with the windows up and the AC on!
Yup, I understand the concept and have heard the marketing explanation - still not a fan. As every new model comes out with more tech aids (adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, auto start/stop, etc) I get less and less interested in buying anything new but spreading my annual mileage across 6 vehicles I'm in good shape for a long time. The Macan is probably our next purchase (GTS or Turbo) but is still a bit off as I'm out of parking places until I build a new garage.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:05 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yup, I understand the concept and have heard the marketing explanation - still not a fan. As every new model comes out with more tech aids (adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, auto start/stop, etc) I get less and less interested in buying anything new but spreading my annual mileage across 6 vehicles I'm in good shape for a long time. The Macan is probably our next purchase (GTS or Turbo) but is still a bit off as I'm out of parking places until I build a new garage.
I'm okay with it, I just view it as enhancing a good thing. Now if the PCM/stereo blasted out a soundtrack of a '70 Hemi Cuda running open headers every time I accelerated, yeah, now that's a different scene for sure!

If you end up with a new Macan GTS or a Turbo with PSE, you'll see....I think you'll probably come to enjoy it.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:42 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 235 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
I'm okay with it, I just view it as enhancing a good thing. Now if the PCM/stereo blasted out a soundtrack of a '70 Hemi Cuda running open headers every time I accelerated, yeah, now that's a different scene for sure!

If you end up with a new Macan GTS or a Turbo with PSE, you'll see....I think you'll probably come to enjoy it.
Haha, that Cuda sound would be even more awesome in a Tesla

I am with you on being fine with it properly implemented. For example, I recently drove a current M4 on track. I really hate the way they sound from the outside but from the inside they sound pretty darn good! I would not turn off the symposer in that car for sure
Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

I'll file this under the category of "things I wish I didn't know"

I didn't buy a Macan under any illusion of "purity", but there's just something about it that irks me. Can't put my finger on it. I remember reading many threads about how to disable the VW Soundaktor on the MK7 GTI. I assume this is the same type of device. See: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...it-104944.html
Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 981-GT4
This-^

Now I have to go find the @#$%ing speaker and unplug it.
The following users liked this post:
roule (08-30-2022)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Willy07
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of this actual location ?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy07
Does anyone have a picture of this actual location ?
You can't miss it. Remove the wide plastic cover goes over the wiper fluid lid. It's a round black speaker right in the of the firewall just below the windshield. It's looks like a small hockey puck being held by one bolt on top and wires that easily unplug on the drivers side of the speaker. Unplug it and your Macan GTS or Turbo will sound like a Nissan
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Willy07
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks ! I now need a RF amp and bigger driver , maybe a box....LOL
Old 09-26-2018, 01:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

This-^

If it's like the one on the Cayenne e-Hybrid, unplugging generates a warning message. Don't know how it works on other p-cars.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:35 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by worf928

This-^

You guys crack me up! If this is the biggest worry in your world, you got a great life!

Hey, if you unplug the speaker ('symposer'... whatever), you're gonna have to run some plastic gutter spout or something from your tailpipes into the cabin to enjoy that wonderful GTS sound! Now that's REAL!
Old 09-27-2018, 05:32 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by 981-GT4

I didn't buy a Macan under any illusion of "purity", but there's just something about it that irks me. Can't put my finger on it. I remember reading many threads about how to disable the VW Soundaktor on the MK7 GTI. I assume this is the same type of device. See: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...it-104944.html
I knew the diesels had one of these as well as 718 Caymans. I looked and could see the one on my Macan GTS. I had a MK6 GTI with an APR intake and Magnaflow exhaust on which unplugging the Soundaktor made a huge difference as the natural sounds came from the proper ends of the car. On the Macan, there is just too much sound suppression on board and the PSE is still pretty tame. Since I drive in manual mode and shift by ear often, unplugging the symposer without first changing out my exhaust to Akrapovich or something like that may not be a great idea.

Quick Reply: Speaker for engine sound