Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Water in rear hatch! Clogged drains or...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:23 PM
ahhprods
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Water in rear hatch! Clogged drains or...?

Hi all, Just got a 2016 Macan S, couldn't resist when I saw it on the lot. After a rain a few days ago, there was a ton of water trapped sloshing around in the rear hatch. When I opened the hatch, some of the water waterfalled into the car. We took the 2 plugs out of the hatch to drain what we could. Dealer says it's clogged drains. Anyone know how to fix/clean drains so I can avoid taking it to the dealer? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

Not Macan specific, but usually when this happens it's the sunroof drains - at least it is in the Cayennes. They probably exit somewhere behind the rear wheels and you may be able to find the clog at that end or at the inlet in the rear corners of the sunroof channels. Do not try to clear them with compressed air as there are usually junctions in the pipes and if they're clogged, you'll blow those apart and have a much bigger problem to fix in a harder to reach area. You need something that's fairly stiff, yet still flexible to run through the channels - almost like a really long wire-tie. Sometimes the outlets of the tubes have a rubber fitting with a flap that's supposed to let water egress through the flap but prevent insects and deep water from getting in. If you (or the PO) had a bunch of junk in the sunroof channels from parking under trees, and that stuff found it's way down the drain lines, it can plug up those flaps, but they should be removable so you can clean them out, and many just leave them off if not driving through deep water.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:38 AM
ahhprods
Instructor

What I don’t understand is how water can get inside the actual lift gate, sloshing around. Not inside the car, but literally inside the lift gate itself. Any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:44 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Water in the hatch gate itself is a problem! I'd definitely have dealer look at that. That's not the same thing as a drain plug being clogged up.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:11 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I'll have to look at my hatch. Sure, drain holes on the bottom of the hatch. They could be clogged.
But drain holes on the bottom of the hatch. Water is not going in there? It must be getting in from above.
Around the 3rd brake light, or in that wiring loom at the top of the hatch.
Car wash?
Is your rear wiper squirted working. Could it be windshield fluid?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:10 PM
ahhprods
Instructor

Happened after a rain. Rear squirter fine, def not that. Third brake repaired in March, so it’s got to be that or bad seals right? Porsche dealer service trying to blame drains which makes no sense. Very disappointed in Porsche service, I also have a jeep rubicon and they are excellent. They never try to blame stupid stuff and shirk warranty work.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Hop in the hatch and have someone spray the back of the car.
Do one side at a time. Maybe you can at least find the side.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:45 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My previous CPO Cayenne had a water collection problem in the passenger side front body seam. Turns out there was a missing factory weld. It had to be repaired at a body shop.

Quick Reply: Water in rear hatch! Clogged drains or...?