Macan 2014-Current

S vs GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:02 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S vs GTS?

Given the aftermarket ability to boost the HP to GTS levels why spend the $10,000+ to go GTS. YES I indrstand PASM but after that why? Most S builds in SoCal have the bigger wheels. What am I missing?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:14 AM
bkkchris
Track Day

All the standard GTS options. More aggressive front sport design bumper, air-suspension/pasm, sport exhaust, turbo brakes, satin black RS wheels, all black trim, slight bump in HP as you mentioned (which a COBB tune helped bumped even closer to Turbo performance), nicer interior (in my opinion) with Alcantara and black alum free option. Bit more exclusivity than other Macans, although in SoCal I see a fair number of GTS models. Comparing price of a somewhat similar equipped S to GTS the GTS was a no-brainer for me. Plus scored 6.5% off on a build-to-order, so ordered exactly how I wanted
Old 06-16-2018, 12:26 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkkchris
All the standard GTS options. More aggressive front sport design bumper, air-suspension/pasm, sport exhaust, turbo brakes, satin black RS wheels, all black trim, slight bump in HP as you mentioned (which a COBB tune helped bumped even closer to Turbo performance), nicer interior (in my opinion) with Alcantara and black alum free option. Bit more exclusivity than other Macans, although in SoCal I see a fair number of GTS models. Comparing price of a somewhat similar equipped S to GTS the GTS was a no-brainer for me. Plus scored 6.5% off on a build-to-order, so ordered exactly how I wanted
What dealership gave you that? I just built all you stated above for $10,000 less then GTS version
Old 06-16-2018, 12:28 AM
bkkchris
Track Day

Rusnak Pasadena. 1.5 yrs ago, no idea what the market is like now. But pretty sure if you shop around you should be able to get 6-8% on one.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:29 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkkchris
Rusnak Pasadena. 1.5 yrs ago, no idea what the market is like now. But pretty sure if you shop around you should be able to get 6-8% on one.
They offerd me 5
Old 06-16-2018, 12:34 AM
bkkchris
Track Day

Hmm. My dealer there (who has since left the biz unfortunately) offered me 6% without even a fight, but I could only get another .5% out of him once the car arrived.

DTLA has been pretty aggressive, I have been toying with the idea of a 991.2. Elvis there was pretty helpful if you have not tried them yet.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:11 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

I think you are missing a lot. I built out a S with the same features as my GTS and I'm at $86,700 MSRP. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKC2FJ8
On the other hand, this is my GTS build at $84,500 http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZEWV14

The GTS includes many things standard as well as lower prices on many options along with a few things that are not available on other models. So if most of the features on the GTS are things you would otherwise get, then it's a good value. If you are indifferent about any options other than the performance ones, then sure, you can get a S for $66,600. I like the luxury features and the sportier design elements in the GTS and hence saw value in those things over building out a S which would cost more unless I took features out. To each their own though.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:38 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I think you are missing a lot. I built out a S with the same features as my GTS and I'm at $86,700 MSRP. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKC2FJ8
On the other hand, this is my GTS build at $84,500 http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZEWV14

The GTS includes many things standard as well as lower prices on many options along with a few things that are not available on other models. So if most of the features on the GTS are things you would otherwise get, then it's a good value. If you are indifferent about any options other than the performance ones, then sure, you can get a S for $66,600. I like the luxury features and the sportier design elements in the GTS and hence saw value in those things over building out a S which would cost more unless I took features out. To each their own though.
I don't disagree with you Very nice builds you have there, but not for me. For instance, things like park assist, PYV+, heated this and that, not anything I need or want to pay for. The GTS is Porsches HIGHEST profit margined car, now I see why? Enjoy your build
Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by promocop
I don't disagree with you Very nice builds you have there, but not for me. For instance, things like park assist, PYV+, heated this and that, not anything I need or want to pay for. The GTS is Porsches HIGHEST profit margined car, now I see why? Enjoy your build
I live in an area with 4 seasons and this is my daily driver so I want all the features that make me comfortable in all 4 seasons. At the end of the day, no one needs a Porsche but since I'm getting one, I'm getting it in the way that makes me completely satisfied. My philosophy on car buying has always been to get as many of the options I think I will use and appreciate that I can so I'm not hunting for another car in 2-3 years. I keep my cars for at least 6-7 years. One of my cars is 15 years old.

The surround view is one feature I use every single time I park. I use it at the office, at shopping malls, to make sure I don't curb my wheels, and at home where my garage space is narrow.

One of the good thing about Porsche; they let you customize to a very in-depth level. Not everything is for everyone. Going back to your original question, there is a long list of sporty features/options that a lot people find desirable which are cheaper, included, or exclusive if you start off with a GTS. But if you are indifferent about those features, then a dollar saved is a dollar earned by getting a lower trim.

Last edited by rasetsu; 06-16-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:07 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

S vs. GTS (and Turbo in my case) decision.....yeah, been there, just went through it.

I was looking to trade my ‘11 CTT on a CPO Macan GTS which I did just yesterday after finally finding the right GTS for me at my dealer. When I owned the CTT, I had the opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with both Macan S and GTS loaners during an extended service visit for my CTT last year. The S I had was well optioned, but just had a very different character from the GTS. The S was the more laid back of the two, the GTS a bit more intense if you will.

Also if you get into the details, especially with regards to the suspension and a few other areas, the GTS includes some unique content that you just can’t get on an S (or Turbo for that matter) at any price, items that are exclusive to the GTS package.

Also for the price, the GTS includes so much standard that you might want to add to an S as options, costing more (black headlights, tinted taillights, PSE, 20” spyder wheels in black, body bits, etc.). And again then there’s the unique GTS specific suspension, which you can’t spec as an option on ANY other Macan model.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:42 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
S vs. GTS (and Turbo in my case) decision.....yeah, been there, just went through it.

I was looking to trade my ‘11 CTT on a CPO Macan GTS which I did just yesterday after finally finding the right GTS for me at my dealer. When I owned the CTT, I had the opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with both Macan S and GTS loaners during an extended service visit for my CTT last year. The S I had was well optioned, but just had a very different character from the GTS. The S was the more laid back of the two, the GTS a bit more intense if you will.

Also if you get into the details, especially with regards to the suspension and a few other areas, the GTS includes some unique content that you just can’t get on an S (or Turbo for that matter) at any price, items that are exclusive to the GTS package.

Also for the price, the GTS includes so much standard that you might want to add to an S as options, costing more (black headlights, tinted taillights, PSE, 20” spyder wheels in black, body bits, etc.). And again then there’s the unique GTS specific suspension, which you can’t spec as an option on ANY other Macan model.
I get all of this. Except for the part about “specific suspension parts you can’t get on any other MAcan model”. What would that be? You can add PASM as an option to the S
Old 06-17-2018, 12:56 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by promocop

I get all of this. Except for the part about “specific suspension parts you can’t get on any other MAcan model”. What would that be? You can add PASM as an option to the S
GTS and Turbo PP are 10mm lower than a S equipped with PASM and air. GTS also has a stiffer rear anti-roll bar and front brakes from the Turbo.
https://www.caranddriver.com/amp/reviews/2017-porsche-macan-gts-tested-reviews
Old 06-17-2018, 12:58 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Looks like GTS for me. Thanks
Old 06-17-2018, 07:52 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

GTS and Turbo PP are 10mm lower than a S equipped with PASM and air. GTS also has a stiffer rear anti-roll bar and front brakes from the Turbo.
https://www.caranddriver.com/amp/rev...tested-reviews
Yep, that’s it exactly. There may also be some differences in the GTS factory tuning related to PASM and air suspension settings as compared to the other models.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/amp/rev...tested-reviews
If you go by PET, the roll bars are only different if you have a diesel or a gas engine. Same roll bar for the S, GTS and turbo.

My wife went with an S, the GTS was going to be $10K more and there was nothing included she wanted. If you start adding the included GTS options into an S build, then you are just better off to get the GTS.

Quick Reply: S vs GTS?