Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Should I get a Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:12 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

My $.02...a new half ton pick up (Any of them will impress you compared to any Nissan product) and a trailex and a 996 6spd c2 with an ims upgrade and get into track days. Spend the $ you’ll blow on mileage depreciation with that macan on some tires and brakes for hpde. A macan is nice but it ain’t the way to get to know a Porsche.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:05 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Go for a CPO Macan, at least then you get unlimited miles in terms of warranty. (let someone else take the initial depreciation) Find a '17 and you are covered until about 2023 (depending on when the car was put into service)

Nissan does make great products, their cvt gear boxes are garbage and outside of the GTR their ability to provide adequate brake cooling is suspect (you have probably chewed up a lot of rotors in your prior nissans) At least I know I did with the few infiniti's i've owned. Outside of that their products quite bullet proof and almost appliance like in ownership.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Outside of that their products quite bullet proof and almost appliance like in ownership.
Meh, my Porsches have actually been more reliable than the one Nissan product I owned, which was an Infiniti QX56 I bought brand new. Aside from the brake rotor deficiencies mentioned above, there was a serious safety flaw with a component called the Delta Stroke Sensor on the braking system, the gauge cluster would frequently cause the tach to read high by about 4,000 RPM, the Driver's window stopped going up, the power liftgate wouldn't release and open, and a number of other things, though other than the serious braking failure, never stranded us anywhere. I traded it for a lightly used Cayenne Turbo S, which is a night and day driving difference as well - faster, smoother, handles better, interior is leather and not plastic, etc.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:01 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

O/P - how old are you, location,finished school, working, how long is your commute, married, kids, surfer, boarder, trailer guy/gal?

Putting 100,000 miles on your car in three years, will kill its value. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware.
I have had a few nissan's. Great cars. Currently, for me, the CVT system? I just can't imagine owning one.
I'm a shift a manual guy, or give me the gears in a auto/dsg/pdk.
Can you handle 200 dollar oil changes? $1500 brake jobs? $1500/set of tires?
Searching the internet and forums, trying to stealth out a reasonable cost for a repair.
As above CX-9 but really the CX-5 is the same size as the Macan. I am also drawn to the Hyundia Kona/tucson. look at that warranty.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:07 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Meh, my Porsches have actually been more reliable than the one Nissan product I owned, which was an Infiniti QX56 I bought brand new. Aside from the brake rotor deficiencies mentioned above, there was a serious safety flaw with a component called the Delta Stroke Sensor on the braking system, the gauge cluster would frequently cause the tach to read high by about 4,000 RPM, the Driver's window stopped going up, the power liftgate wouldn't release and open, and a number of other things, though other than the serious braking failure, never stranded us anywhere. I traded it for a lightly used Cayenne Turbo S, which is a night and day driving difference as well - faster, smoother, handles better, interior is leather and not plastic, etc.
I had an FX45 and the wife had a G35x sedan and both were just consumables in terms of repair items. (100 k miles on each car at the end) Both cars had an appetite for rotors. Never had a QX56. Dealer would charge 20 bucks for an oil change on the FX if I brought my own oil and filter, which was hilarious considering the returned the car washed and vac'ed. It wasn't even worth my time to DIY.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 AM
mel911
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe

Coming from a Macan owner ....i love it. If you’re on the forum asking about the car, chances are you’re gonna get it. If you can afford it (this site doesn’t give that kind of advice) then go for it. Compare insurance. As mentioned, be prepared for TCO. More like $300-400 oil changes. And crazy brakes. I recommend the smallest wheels you can get, because replacing tires every 20k miles is a drag. If it’s not a strain, then get it. If it even seems like one now, then wait a minute or two.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:12 AM
Julesman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everybody for all the wise thoughts.

I test drove an Alfa Romeo Stelvio yesterday. No, I didn't like it.... I LOVED IT! Driving that car is a thrill that I doubt any other SUV could match. The way it accelerates. The way it corners. The delightful ride it gives you on bumpy roads.

I may just wait a bit to see how Alfa handles the cars' growing pains (four recalls since it launched, LOL). And also wait to see what Fiat/Chrysler does. Rumor has it they will put Maserati with Alfa and spin the combined company off, like they did with Ferrari two years ago.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what are you getting?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:16 AM
Julesman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
So what are you getting?
I might buy the Alfa Romeo. I loved the car I test drove. It has better acceleration and cornering than the Macans I have driven. It's a lot less expensive and it comes with a lot of great features as standard equipment and Alfa doesn't charge excessive prices for options.

Whichever I buy, I've decided not to use it for everyday driving. I just bought a used Nissan for that, plus I have another backup car and pickup truck.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:55 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Julesman
I might buy the Alfa Romeo. I loved the car I test drove. It has better acceleration and cornering than the Macans I have driven. It's a lot less expensive and it comes with a lot of great features as standard equipment and Alfa doesn't charge excessive prices for options.

Whichever I buy, I've decided not to use it for everyday driving. I just bought a used Nissan for that, plus I have another backup car and pickup truck.
I offer you condolences if the Alfa Romeo does not work. I have been through the ownership of two Lotus cars. What at first appears to be a perfect match soon dulls when the failures mount up combined with limited service. Parts are killers.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:14 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I agree. I had an Alfa 12C and almost bought a Guilia quadrofoglio. I like Stelvio QV as well however I had such poor quality and dealer issues with Alfa that I didn’t want to make the same mistake again. I went with a Macan GTS.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:27 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

If it wasn't a daily, I probably would have gotten a Guilia QV. If reliability was a non-issue, then the Stelvio QV would be my choice too. I would never consider a Stelvio ti though. But if it were between a Macan base and a Stelvio ti, then it would be the Stelvio. Again, reliability being a non-factor.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:39 AM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I agree. I had an Alfa 12C and almost bought a Guilia quadrofoglio. I like Stelvio QV as well however I had such poor quality and dealer issues with Alfa that I didn’t want to make the same mistake again. I went with a Macan GTS.
How was the 12C? How was the dealer able to provide support for that car?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:28 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I look at these things depending how close you are to the dealer. At the time, the Ferrari dealer was convenient for me. I knew it was a little silly but I drove that 308 GTS from new for 55,000 miles. I sold it for $15,000 more that I paid for it, which matched the maintenance costs. Most of the time they could come up with the parts.

So now we are looking at hot Alpha's. I have never, ever, heard a good word on maintenance here, but maybe the dealer is close. It might work out. So what did I buy? A Porsche Macan S. I didn't want to deal with luck this time around.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I meant to say 4C.
I also had a McLaren 12C at the time.

Quick Reply: Should I get a Macan?