Macan 2014-Current

Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pvr
Can't believe that it's the turbos spooling up. That sounds more like a very soft whirring, and definitely not a grinding or groaning noise, at least in the GTS.
Turbo-machinery is designed to avoid placing resonant frequencies in their operating range, but not necessarily while spooling up. Low-speed resonances are especially noticeable in airplanes powered by CFM-56 engines (e.g., 737s). Possible in a turbocharger? Dunno. Might it resemble a grinding noise? Dunno, but the CFM-56 resonance is a bit like grinding.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:16 AM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, I've been able to isolate my noise to the operAtion of A/C. If on, mechical groaning whining noise between 1200-1800 rpm with vibration and gritty feeling coming through pedal. Turn off hvac system and goes away immediately. Tech rode with me and confirmed noise, also confirmed a/c has magnetic clutch that engages and becomes parisidic to engine. They worked on it for a few hours, then came back to me and said this is "normal" operation. I called BS on them, this car is way to polished and can't imagine Porsche allowing such a design flaw. I've never driven any car $20k-$100k+ that exhibits this, major oversight on Porsche's part if true. Unfortunately no other Turbos on the lot to drive and compare to see if true. They will be picking the car up and keep it for a few days to further diagnos so we'll see.

Question then, if this is normal operation does everyone experience this? Not a pleasant NVH noise but maybe I'm just super sensitive
Old 09-02-2017, 11:09 AM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
Well, I've been able to isolate my noise to the operAtion of A/C. If on, mechical groaning whining noise between 1200-1800 rpm with vibration and gritty feeling coming through pedal. Turn off hvac system and goes away immediately. Tech rode with me and confirmed noise, also confirmed a/c has magnetic clutch that engages and becomes parisidic to engine. They worked on it for a few hours, then came back to me and said this is "normal" operation. I called BS on them, this car is way to polished and can't imagine Porsche allowing such a design flaw. I've never driven any car $20k-$100k+ that exhibits this, major oversight on Porsche's part if true. Unfortunately no other Turbos on the lot to drive and compare to see if true. They will be picking the car up and keep it for a few days to further diagnos so we'll see.

Question then, if this is normal operation does everyone experience this? Not a pleasant NVH noise but maybe I'm just super sensitive
I can feel it periodically in the accelerator and the steering. What the tech is stating would make sense since the compressor cuts on & off. That said, I have tried turning the a/c off when the grinding is occurring but it makes no difference - it's still there. So in my case, I don't think it's the a/c.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:12 PM
GoldenBoy13
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a vibration somewhere around 1200-1600 RPMs when the A/C is on. 2017 GTS. Took it to the dealer a few months ago. "Normal operation". Annoying, but I'm trying not to let it drive me crazy.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:56 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I find that when I put our Turbo in Sport mode it keeps the revs sufficiently high that the noise and vibration go away.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:15 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JZ98-993

It's not normal, and I've never heard any such noise even when set to "AC Max" on my GTS.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:03 AM
ssaa77
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any new info? I feel like the sound is worse now. Really annoying but easily solved by not opening windows. Curious if isolated to gts. To be clear, no steering wheel vibration. Just a slight grinding noise when throttle initially pushed and when let off.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman1
I can feel it periodically in the accelerator and the steering. What the tech is stating would make sense since the compressor cuts on & off. That said, I have tried turning the a/c off when the grinding is occurring but it makes no difference - it's still there. So in my case, I don't think it's the a/c.
What process are you using to turn the A/C off, as the compressor nay not actually be off. I don't have a Macan yet (I subscribe to a forum for a few months before I buy something to familiarize myself with any issues) but if there's an Eco button or similar, that's the one that will defeat the compressor. Also, some zones will automatically run the compressor even if the a/c button isn't switched on, like the Defroster zone.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:57 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the transfer case to me. That's how it starts.

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise