Sponsored by:

996 cup centerlock hub pins

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 996 cup centerlock hub pins

Has anyone switched between 5-lug and centerlock? Those who have, are you swapping out hubs or just installing pins? If so, which pins work for a studded hub? I believe the threaded holes are different sizes.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:00 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The centerlock hubs have a counter-sunk hole that the pin sits in and bolt holds them in from the back side.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:46 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hubs are different between the 5 lug and the centerlock. They are not interchangeable. The centerlock hub just has a (undersized) through hole and a counterbore for the pin while the 5 lug has the threaded holes.

I have seen hubs that were the threaded hubs that were welded and redrilled for the pins.

I had thought about making pins that would thread into the threaded hubs to help with a conversion from street to cup, but never did. Might be a good time to revisit this since I have now made Demon Speed standard pins, it would not be much to change the design to be the threaded style.

The biggest hurtle you will have to do the conversion is the hub. The centerlock hubs have a special ring (lock pot) that the wheel centers on. The hub would need to be machined to accept this lock pot.

By the way, us, here at Demon Speed, we can help with other parts of your conversion as well. Including the wheel washers, the stub bolts, standard style pins and the lock pots. I do also have a full set of centerlock hubs that I was saving to create a conversion kit out of.

Thanks

Ed
Old 06-14-2017, 06:25 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
The hubs are different between the 5 lug and the centerlock. They are not interchangeable. The centerlock hub just has a (undersized) through hole and a counterbore for the pin while the 5 lug has the threaded holes.

I have seen hubs that were the threaded hubs that were welded and redrilled for the pins.

I had thought about making pins that would thread into the threaded hubs to help with a conversion from street to cup, but never did. Might be a good time to revisit this since I have now made Demon Speed standard pins, it would not be much to change the design to be the threaded style.

The biggest hurtle you will have to do the conversion is the hub. The centerlock hubs have a special ring (lock pot) that the wheel centers on. The hub would need to be machined to accept this lock pot.

By the way, us, here at Demon Speed, we can help with other parts of your conversion as well. Including the wheel washers, the stub bolts, standard style pins and the lock pots. I do also have a full set of centerlock hubs that I was saving to create a conversion kit out of.

Thanks

Ed
To make an easy conversion kit you could just machine standard 5-bolt street hubs for the three slots of the centering cones. Then make drive pins that will thread in and clear the rotor hat holes. I would venture to say you couls probably even leave the center cones stub locks in all the time as they would clear 5-lug wheels. Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

CL hubs are for the most part the same. The stud holes have been redrilled to 16.5mm ~ 3/4 of the way.

HTH

Ray

Quick Reply: 996 cup centerlock hub pins