Sponsored by:

991 Cup(Gen 1s) FYI and DIYs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
It's definitely possible, just depends upon how much work you want to do off track and if you have the required equipment.
I have barely time to take care of the 996cup, meaning swapping tyres

I cannot imagine there is a lot to do on the 991 if you run at club level, well below the cars potential.. Service and check every 3rd or 4th weekend ?

I understand about the compressor and condensation.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 991

its possible, but it’s a lot of work and all the thought and labor involved does detract from the energy (and enjoyment) you have for the driving. I’ve had a 991 now for 4 months and although I can imagine doing it solo, it scares the **** out of me and I think I would drop the event if I didn’t have someone’s help.
Gas cans to fill, tires to change, nuts to torque, tire pressures. As it is I feel like I don’t have much down time at the track. You’ll want to change the oil, transmission fluid, brake flush, etc. at least every other outing. the brake flush is a three man job. The manual even says clutch bleed after each session. Took me hours to figure out the f’ing Cosworth data, and that’s with the Cosworth guy at the track. Its a ton of stuff to learn and the information is not easily accessible.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:05 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
its possible, but it’s a lot of work and all the thought and labor involved does detract from the energy (and enjoyment) you have for the driving. I’ve had a 991 now for 4 months and although I can imagine doing it solo, it scares the **** out of me and I think I would drop the event if I didn’t have someone’s help.
Gas cans to fill, tires to change, nuts to torque, tire pressures. As it is I feel like I don’t have much down time at the track. You’ll want to change the oil, transmission fluid, brake flush, etc. at least every other outing. the brake flush is a three man job. The manual even says clutch bleed after each session. Took me hours to figure out the f’ing Cosworth data, and that’s with the Cosworth guy at the track. Its a ton of stuff to learn and the information is not easily accessible.
I think that's a great point, the information being readily available and hard to access. Some days I feel that's intentional!
Old 06-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Swapping tyres (it's ALL about the tires!), right torque, fueling. I can handle that. I suppose they come with a 90l +\- tank, it's a lot of laps on your own, likely you refuel once max over a sports cup week end/day

What happens if you dont bleed the clutch before every weekend ? That sounds like a major overkill but I gues there must be a reason.

Yeah the electronics/dash is likely to be very user unfriendly.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A triple disc clutch has VERY little throwout bearing movement especially from the point of engagement to full release. any small amount of air could cause less than full disengagement of clutch and transmission damage. It is a JUST TO BE SAFE thing. afterall, the 991 rebuild is $35K with no serious damage. So you want to take care of the box..... I pulled a motor and tranny yesterday. Hope to post some pics in couple days. It is super simple BTW.

On the other topic of easier maintain that a 996 at track. If you do nothing during the day but put in fuel and check tire pressures on 996 Cup, then yeah you can do same to 991 at end of day. If you want to avail yourself of the wealth of information the car tracks for you to make you a better driver then it starts taking some time. If you also want to review videos, then more time. It is all a matter of how you want to use the wonderful tool that Porsche provided.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Vince964T
Racer

I see, thank you, understand.

Regarding onboard data, I used to fiddle with Racelogic files. To old now, I just get out and drive.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here i sweden the hobby drivers take to little carw about the hours and the porsche
maintenance scheduled
Old 06-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Here i sweden the hobby drivers take to little carw about the hours and the porsche
maintenance scheduled

True ! Still I am pretty good at racking up the bills.... And it's not only in sweden
Old 07-16-2018, 06:20 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default engine hours, racecon

anyone know if you have ot have the car actually running to see/get values from the bosch racecon software which is the software for reading from/write to the ecu?
i can actuate the shifter, and see abs stuff, but many of the other values are all dimmed out with the car off. in the pmna manual it shows the racecon pages and those too are blank, empty....
im not at the car and dont want to just start the motor to read some values.
just curious if anyone knows the deal there.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
The compressor on the back wall of the passenger footwell. Just like any other compressor, water will be displaced. Most compressors have a purge valve at bottom to release water. This doesnt. So you literally have to shake it our of there. If you dont purge the water, you will find all of a sudden shifting is sporadic. We do ours here in Florida ever day to be safe with our great humidity.
Bob: What's the deal with having to send the system back to Germany for service? Is this something a reputable shop should be able to handle themselves?
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Since the units are like $8k from Motorsports, I have not tried to have anyone else look at them. Problem is TIME. These companies take FOREVER for service. Had to send in Cosworth Dash that wound up in England and was gone almost 8 weeks. We have a terminal chassis 991 Cup in right now. EVERYTHING is good inside and most outside (tub bad was insured and totalled which is beyond me) including motor and transmission. Anyway we are completely parting out so I plan to sell a bunch and keep some parts as spares so if you have to send something off, you might have a spare to plug in and not miss an event or two.

Quick Reply: 991 Cup(Gen 1s) FYI and DIYs?