Sponsored by:

991 Cup(Gen 1s) FYI and DIYs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:24 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve

We had Chris Brown add a Motec logger to a 991 Cup to allow us to compare data between the 997's and 991 on out team. Chris set it up so Motec triggers GPS lap times on the Cosworth dash as well as in Motec data. When we get more 991 cups in the group we'll need to use the Cosworth more, but for this past season, the Motec was a great add. Chris Brown can be contacted at http://www.cb-racing.com/index.html
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 PM
97C2s911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default VBox HD

Has anyone set up a VBox in a 991 cup ? I have one now but need to get it hooked to CAN and possibly get templates ?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can make you a connector with a pigtail to plug into the C50 connector. which provides switched power, ground and CAN +/-
Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C2s911
Has anyone set up a VBox in a 991 cup ? I have one now but need to get it hooked to CAN and possibly get templates ?
Yes, the template for both the 991.1 Cup and the 991.2 Cup are NOW included in VBOX Setup. They even have a basic scene on their site to download for the graphics.

I still have to test to make absolutely sure the plug and play cable I supply works correctly, but I've seen the final product (video and CAN data) and it's a really slick, easy way to review exactly what you're doing.

Several of the front line IMSA teams have been using the VBOX HD2 for several years, some wrote their own templates, but that is not necessary anymore.

Your cable and scene are FREE, Scott... Where will you be next? I have your OLED, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, the template for both the 991.1 Cup and the 991.2 Cup are NOW included in VBOX Setup. They even have a basic scene on their site to download for the graphics.

I still have to test to make absolutely sure the plug and play cable I supply works correctly, but I've seen the final product (video and CAN data) and it's a really slick, easy way to review exactly what you're doing.

Several of the front line IMSA teams have been using the VBOX HD2 for several years, some wrote their own templates, but that is not necessary anymore.

Your cable and scene are FREE, Scott... Where will you be next? I have your OLED, too.

I'm in!!!
Old 01-15-2018, 01:25 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default PMNS PRSI site

two new 'files' were posted today on the PRSI site, that site where the post tech bulletins, config files, etc. as they update them themselves.
so today they posted two new ones for the 2017, 2018 cars. wondering if anyone can help with the specifics.
1. is a new IPS MY 2017 0401Sv1_PMNA.toolset files. PA10_0302_IPS_CUP17_0401_S_V01_us_PMNA.toolset i had though we could only load the "ICD" files/dash config files onto the dash, not the IPS? which i guess begs the question, what is the difference between an IPS and an ICD and can we infact, load both ? i know the ICd dash file allows very little modification if any, maybe just in the qualification mode screens, the rest if frozen by pmna. thats teh dash you look at. but whats this IPS? do i need this updated file?
2. they also then list a new Bosch Race con file PA10_0300_991-CUPII_CU_0518_red_V03_us_PMNA.rlp this i know goes into the bosch race con when you're connected to the EcU, and i presume you then load that file and im sure it changes some parameter in the motor. the only info they give us "Gear Pot Adaptation".

anyone have more ino on these? ok to just load them up? any safeguards one shoudl follow before loading or testing, etc?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The IPS is the cars Intelligent Power System. It is very useful for car related diagnostics. Just as you have driver data for Brake Pressure In the ICD, the IPS stores all the data for EVERYTHING electronic in the car. If you notice every Din Connector has a name or a number on it. The IPS stores data throughout your run on voltage, current for any device. You can then connect that data with car data. Example, We were having some issues where the car was stumbling. When we looked at fuel pressure and same time as fuel pump current draw you could see the pump was on the way out. Nice way to isolate this issue instead of thinking potentially a fuel pickup issue or a dozen other things and then trying to diagnose. So for a Driver, the IPS is not something to deal with. For the mechanic that works on the car, very useful.

For this reason should you need power in the car to run something (radio, coolsuit, ac unit, etc), there are a number of spare din plugs behind the center dash with numbers on them so you can keep track of user installed options, just as any factory installed item.

Last edited by Viperbob1; 01-15-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

oh for the simple days of the 996 cups.

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
The IPS is the cars Intelligent Power System. It is very useful for car related diagnostics. Just as you have driver data for Brake Pressure In the ICD, the IPS stores all the data for EVERYTHING electronic in the car. If you notice every Din Connector has a name or a number on it. The IPS stores data throughout your run on voltage, current for any device. You can then connect that data with car data. Example, We were having some issues where the car was stumbling. When we looked at fuel pressure and same time as fuel pump current draw you could see the pump was on the way out. Nice way to isolate this issue instead of thinking potentially a fuel pickup issue or a dozen other things and then trying to diagnose. So for a Driver, the IPS is not something to deal with. For the mechanic that works on the car, very useful.

For this reason should you need power in the car to run something (radio, coolsuit, ac unit, etc), there are a number of spare din plugs behind the center dash with numbers on them so you can keep track of user installed options, just as any factory installed item.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:41 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

so maybe someone can cclarify. i finally got some time to try to load these. first, i tried to load the racecon file they listed as new PA10_0300_991-CUPII_CU_0518_red_V03_us_PMNA.rlp i loaded race con, connected with the bosch cable adn by default it loads the last working good project. it showed that as connected, no errors. so then i went to open project, and i select the file PA10_0300_991-CUPII_CU_0518_red_V03_us_PMNA.rlp and when i did, it gor a few errors which in the info/status screen in the lower right basically saying something was protected, i shoudl have done a print screen but was aggitated. i then loaded the previous good one wihch was 991-CUPII_CU_0515_red.rlp it seems to load/read from the ECU and it confirmed the file matched the data file. so basically i opened the new project, didnt like it, looked like it didnt match, and then i just loaded up old one. i wasnt sure if i had to write that new file to theECU so taht the file on the racecon matched the newly loaded file to the ECU. wasnt sure where/how to do that exactly. under tools? i see update firmware? upload syslog? etc. just wasnt sure . and since it was giving me what looked like an error didnt want to load it.
i have to presume the existing file works fine, as it ran in imsa with that file all last year.
and when i loaded the file from the usb, again 991-CUPII_CU_0515_red.rlp it showed that it matched the file in the ECU. thoughts/ ideas? suggestions/

i decided to NOT load the PA10_0302_IPS_CUP17_0401_S_V01_us_PMNA.toolset since if i read viper right, it doesnt necessarily correct errors but makes more values available for analysis?

thoughts? ideas?
i hate mussing with software as much as i like mussing with software.

Originally Posted by spg993tt
two new 'files' were posted today on the PRSI site, that site where the post tech bulletins, config files, etc. as they update them themselves.
so today they posted two new ones for the 2017, 2018 cars. wondering if anyone can help with the specifics.
1. is a new IPS MY 2017 0401Sv1_PMNA.toolset files. PA10_0302_IPS_CUP17_0401_S_V01_us_PMNA.toolset i had though we could only load the "ICD" files/dash config files onto the dash, not the IPS? which i guess begs the question, what is the difference between an IPS and an ICD and can we infact, load both ? i know the ICd dash file allows very little modification if any, maybe just in the qualification mode screens, the rest if frozen by pmna. thats teh dash you look at. but whats this IPS? do i need this updated file?
2. they also then list a new Bosch Race con file PA10_0300_991-CUPII_CU_0518_red_V03_us_PMNA.rlp this i know goes into the bosch race con when you're connected to the EcU, and i presume you then load that file and im sure it changes some parameter in the motor. the only info they give us "Gear Pot Adaptation".

anyone have more ino on these? ok to just load them up? any safeguards one shoudl follow before loading or testing, etc?
Old 03-26-2018, 11:20 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts

subscribed.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:07 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Bob,
Exactly what are you purging water from with the paddle shifter? The module on the passenger side floor in the rear?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
Bob,
Exactly what are you purging water from with the paddle shifter? The module on the passenger side floor in the rear?
The compressor on the back wall of the passenger footwell. Just like any other compressor, water will be displaced. Most compressors have a purge valve at bottom to release water. This doesnt. So you literally have to shake it our of there. If you dont purge the water, you will find all of a sudden shifting is sporadic. We do ours here in Florida ever day to be safe with our great humidity.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok. I’ll take a look this weekend. Just getting around to looking at the manual in detail. I just read the part about venting the clutch after each session. Refill with brake fluid. I assume this is the same reservoir as for the brakes and will get replaced when doing the brake fluid, correct? Do you really vent the clutch actuator after each session?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to run a 991 cup as 1 man team for club racing ?
I mean take it our like 6/7 week ends per year. Service 1 times in the winter and 1x mid season.
I am thinking like a 6 Cup, unload the car from the trailer, drive, refill gas, swap tyres, drive, load the car rinse and repeat the following week-end
Honest opinion
Old 06-01-2018, 06:07 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

It's definitely possible, just depends upon how much work you want to do off track and if you have the required equipment.

Quick Reply: 991 Cup(Gen 1s) FYI and DIYs?