Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Downshift Revs how much more do i get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:05 PM
Dennis Gentner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshift Revs how much more do i get?

Sorry i dont know the exact words, so i try to descripe it.

I am talking about an 2010 Cup Car with Stock Gear Ratios.

I want to avoid over rev., so i need to know how much rpm do i get additionally at downshift?

for Example i downshift from 4th to 3rd Gear, when i do this at 8000 rpm i will do over rev, so wich rpm is max i can be in to not over rev?

Hopefully you understand what i need to know.

I am interrested in the info for all Gears
Old 01-31-2017, 08:03 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just get a autoblipper from pmna or the rod type, im sure they are available used everywhere now with paddleshifters popularity.

Its more about the time you wait between initiating each downshift, then a strict RPM (IMO), the faster you downshift then you will be at a higher RPM per gear. Its also about how hard and for how long you are braking as well.

Most pro's do this to slow down more quickly and keep the revs at redline or above at every shift to use the engine to slow down the car faster. ......But these are pro's or people that dont care about engine rebuild costs, and want to get the last 1/100th every corner and braking zone. Most non pro's like us don't brake to the cars 99.9% potencial so this is not as effective when you look at time saved vs extra engine abuse equation.

You will find the sweet spot the more you drive the car. Just be firm on the stick and decisive
Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 PM
Dennis Gentner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thank you.
I want to use down Shift lights for that i need to know wich numbers to insert
Old 02-01-2017, 12:51 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhere there is a gear chart showing speeds with gears. But it's largely useless

You will not overrev with blips, the limiter will cut in

You can overrev by downshifting too fast

Judging by your earlier posts, I would STRONGLY recommend paying $500 to a capable driver or engineer with experience in 997 cups for half a day to help you out and save you untold thousands in damages and errors and wasted track time

Quick Reply: Downshift Revs how much more do i get?