Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Can anyone fix a 6 cup instrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

996ttime had not only a bad dash, but a short in the harness so when another dash was found and plugged in, it fried that one too. So instead of trying to track down another dash, we installed an AIM dash. The only function not available for display from the Bosch ecu through the CAN bus was the fuel level from the Motorsport plastic gas tank. The level is just a resistor. I found a $99 unit calibrated to the extremes of our resistor range that gave off 0-5vdc output. We then just mapped the voltage curve in the AIM. On the dash it displays gallons left in tank and it is pretty accurate. We did a static test when we installed and it worked great.

If you have a fuel cell, you would need to install a level sending unit from ATL or such.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The fuel level sender ViperBob is talking about is the Iron Canyou sender connected to the AIM/Motec dash. There isn't much you can do with a fuel cell except the "remaining fuel" calculation Motec does. Some fuel cells have fuel senders but I don't think they do in Cup cars. If you had a sender, the Iron Canyou can be used with some calibration work.

I need to think about making the MXL 2 do the math for "Remaining Fuel" like Motec does. John, getting 80 minutes out of your fuel at VIR is impressive, but maybe you added 5 gallons earlier.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:18 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
The fuel level sender ViperBob is talking about is the Iron Canyou sender connected to the AIM/Motec dash. There isn't much you can do with a fuel cell except the "remaining fuel" calculation Motec does. Some fuel cells have fuel senders but I don't think they do in Cup cars. If you had a sender, the Iron Canyou can be used with some calibration work.

I need to think about making the MXL 2 do the math for "Remaining Fuel" like Motec does. John, getting 80 minutes out of your fuel at VIR is impressive, but maybe you added 5 gallons earlier.
I'm slow and I coast a lot. lol.
It was a "90 minute enduro" but you know that counts the entire affair. I did do the 90 minute PCA enduro at Mid Ohio and made it to the end.

if you make one of those up, let me know. We'll have to hook up at Sebring or something...
Old 12-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

time is not only factor. if longer and faster track distance traveled is greater and then ..... no gas.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:07 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
time is not only factor. if longer and faster track distance traveled is greater and then ..... no gas.
i did not realize VIR was that much more wide open throttle/ faster than MO
Old 12-17-2016, 05:40 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

when we are at Daytona we need WAY more fuel than other tracks even VIR
Old 12-25-2016, 05:59 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
good question. I had an engine miss 80 minutes into an enduro at VIR and I figured it was a coil since I was told before the event one of mine was cracked. Turns out, I was sucking fumes. After sitting in the pits for a minute, it hit me and we dumped some fuel in and i got back out on the last lap for a finish!
I brought my car to the workshop once. Cut out with 1/8th of fuel remaining according to the dash.

Well, guess what ... I was out of fuel

Looking at the data afterwards I ran the car for 90 minutes on a small track (2nd/3rd gear stuff), so that made sense.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:01 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by amso3
The fuel level sender ViperBob is talking about is the Iron Canyou sender connected to the AIM/Motec dash.
This one?

http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/

Guess I need the binder 719 for my EVO4, but what do I need to choose so it works on the 996 Cup with standard plastic fuel tank?
Old 12-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

They can make a custom one. We just did a sweep on the sending unit from the full to the empty off Ohm meter sent it to them and we had it. Actually I know Jerry had some extra. He still might.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:04 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

ir-Fuel

I just sold my last Iron Canyon yesterday. You can buy direct from them. I believe we set the resistance (adjustable inside Iron Canyon unit) to 320 ohms for 996 Cups, but you should probably measure your sender resistance with a full tank. Then you adjust the IC unit to 20 or so more ohms. Once installed, you build a custom sensor measuring the mV readings as you add measured amounts of fuel. It works pretty well. I'll be happy to assist if you purchase one.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:47 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

The question is: do I need to give them the resistance before ordering, or can I change the settings myself once I have the product?
Old 12-26-2016, 09:53 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

You can change it after you get it. Ask them to include instructions
Old 12-26-2016, 10:09 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Ah great. I'll order one then!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can anyone fix a 6 cup instrument cluster?