Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Porsche Cup Cars (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars-151/)
-   -   991.2 GT3 Cup - First official Pictures (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars/955917-991-2-gt3-cup-first-official-pictures.html)

93 FireHawk 968 09-30-2016 08:44 AM

The cost for the engine rebuild is lower than earlier model year Cups. Interesting.....

Q&A 09-30-2016 08:49 AM

Rebuild intervals in writing in the sales brochure: That's what i call a bold statement. Respect.

mobonic 09-30-2016 01:56 PM

Did they mention they would warranty engines?

It seems like they should considering you cant overrev these cars anymore....Audi warranties their race engines....

This is great news for cup racers and bad news for anyone that had a 991.1 CUP, those are now redheaded step child ;)

991 Cup is slower and more expensive to run....I can see 991 Cups tanking in price more as all the big boys racing in Cup Series will upgrade to new car with disregard to cost and fire sell the 991.1 Cups to get rid of them.

I have not heard of a upgrade package yet so I guess the 997.2 Cups will be phased out and the cup races will just be 991.2 & 991.1 Cups (platinum & gold)....I guess 997 cups are now just for club racing.

joeykid 09-30-2016 06:14 PM

With these intervals on the rebuilds and minor costs for rebuilds this is finally the cup car I have always dreamed of! The cost of ownership has been the greatest drag on these cup cars, not the purchase price. These transmission rebuilds have honestly ruined these cars. I have spent over$150,000 on 997 cup transmission rebuilds. The 997 motors are good for more than 1 season but not good enough for 2 seasons,so what do you do. This is the best news I have seen. Thank you Porsche!! It matters! Sorry Brian and Bill the cash cow is drying up.

Nizer 09-30-2016 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mobonic (Post 13642683)

991 Cup is slower and more expensive to run....I can see 991 Cups tanking in price more as all the big boys racing in Cup Series will upgrade to new car with disregard to cost and fire sell the 991.1 Cups to get rid of them.

991 Cups coming out of Europe are already pricing in $160's and season hasn't even ended yet.

Originally Posted by joeykid (Post 13643274)
This is the best news I have seen. Thank you Porsche!! It matters!

Group buy Joe.

Yannick-HST 10-01-2016 05:16 AM

$160's? There are already many cars that flip for $140k to $145k...

Nizer 10-01-2016 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST (Post 13644153)
$160's? There are already many cars that flip for $140k to $145k...

Need to add $10k for landed US prices.

analogmike 10-02-2016 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by joeykid (Post 13643274)
With these intervals on the rebuilds and minor costs for rebuilds this is finally the cup car I have always dreamed of! The cost of ownership has been the greatest drag on these cup cars, not the purchase price. ..

Still have the issue with the 991 of needing a new tub in relatively minor impacts, no?

James-GMG 10-02-2016 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=mobonic;13642683]Did they mention they would warranty engines?

It seems like they should considering you cant overrev these cars anymore....Audi warranties their race engines....

Audi does not warranty their race engines FYI....they will help you with an issues you have but that's about it.....

These new Cups will be very nice indeed as the DFI motor has some nice usable torque and with longer rebuild intervals, you will be a better return on your Cup investment....

They say 2 seconds a lap faster than the 991 Cup......that torque alone will certainly help.....

The R has been a great car so far......engine and gearbox are first rate.....this new Cup will be a baby R, just curious as to the price....

joeykid 10-03-2016 12:05 AM

The only thing it's missing is the abs. I just don't get why Porsche is holding on to this non-abs macho dinosaur approach for amateur drivers when the GT3-R gets abs, Ferrari's Challenge cars gets abs, Lamborghini Super Trofeo gets abs, etc... the 996 cup had abs. That would be my only complaint on what looks like an awesome car that I would imagine should be south of $300k. The abs saves money on tires and certainly those first and second lap crashes I've seen when something surprising happens. When it comes out of your pocket and there aren't any big sponsors behind you, abs is a cheap insurance policy.

coryf 10-03-2016 08:34 AM

They mentioned some reinforcement around the rear sub frame mounts that should help with crash resistance. Maybe will reduce the number of tubs needed due to small rear impacts.

They stated 220k on the price list. Assuming this doesn't include shipping, mandatory spares package and taxes. They said basically same cost as this past years car. They also offered financing through Porsche financial services. (not sure if thats a good idea :) )

ABS would be very nice to have but maybe Porsche's opinion is in a one make series its another skill that helps separate driver talent. Bosch has a "plug and play" M4 abs available for the 991. I have heard there is also traction control available. (manthey Mr 991 cup has this i believe)

Hard to believe it will be 2 seconds faster on most tracks. Basically the same car with a little more power. 2 seconds at road atl would put it in the mix with the 991 GT3R. Hard to imagine but guess we will see next year.

991cup 10-03-2016 09:01 AM

Been told they are running abs on the new Cars in Carrera cup Germany
Not sure this true ..would be weird as not in supercup
Let's see

BBMGT3 10-03-2016 09:36 AM

I was in two minds about ABS. At first I thought it was a relic, something that needed to be added on all modern cars. But then after racing a different sprint series in another brand of car, I actually wish there wasn't ABS.

For longer races - 3h and above - ABS makes sense. Grids are big, tire wear can be significant, and more stuff can happen, especially with transient weather and night etc.
But for sprint races (50 min and under) I changed my mind - no ABS. Too many drivers lean heavily on it to overtake or defend and you wind up with driver behavior that is just ridiculous.

raclaims 10-04-2016 01:57 PM

I also wish it had ABS but honestly I don't see a lot of lock ups in the races.

YOCOHO 10-04-2016 03:41 PM

When will they be available for purchase in the USA?
Estimated Cost for us in the US?
Yes I agree I would like ABS.
Coyote